Author Topic: 2013 Changes to Hooley's 974 Studebaker  (Read 70679 times)

Offline revolutionary

Re: 2013 Changes to Hooley's 974 Studebaker
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »
I dig the setup!

Cast Iron heads on the big block?? Or is that a mock up engine? If so, you probably know that most aftermarket heads have the exhaust raised .3-.600".  Just throwing that out there.

Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
I dig the setup!

Cast Iron heads on the big block?? Or is that a mock up engine? If so, you probably know that most aftermarket heads have the exhaust raised .3-.600".  Just throwing that out there.

Yes that is/was the mockup engine.  It came out 2 days ago and  all the new chassis work was painted and the new engine with 'aftermarket' heads is going in now.  I guess we will know soon if there is a problem.  I've got faith in Hooley to rectify it if so.  Thanks for mentioning this as if there is a problem at least we know now what caused it,

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
.... you probably know that most aftermarket heads have the exhaust raised .3-.600". ..

He has the headers mounted and the ports were a little higher but he is working around it by slotting the bolt holes for some of the turbo mounts and will move the exhaust out the body up by about 1/4 inch so he will just raise the hole that much.  He said it wasn't bad,

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »
Hooley finished...

...the bodywork to ...

...fill in the nose....

...pulled everything out and painted and....

...has the motor in.  More on the build pages....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20construction%20menu.html

I'll try and find time to keep posting pictures, but don't have the time to add the dialog until probably after b'ville,

Sum

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
It's looking good!

I'll be down at Randy's later in the week. Hooley, if you need a last minute hand, I'll be available Monday the 5th and Tuesday the 6th.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »
It's looking good!

I'll be down at Randy's later in the week. Hooley, if you need a last minute hand, I'll be available Monday the 5th and Tuesday the 6th.

Thanks, he might not read this as he is working from dawn to past dark, but I'll let him know.  He is suppose to be at my place in Utah on the 5th if things go ok, but he has lots to do before leaving.  I'm feeling like I'm getting behind here also  :cry:,

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »
GEEEZEEZZ---what a  8-) Ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
Sum thanks posting:

Hooley and CREW       :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Just spent nearly an hour reviewing this years changes, this thing is going to go down as one OF-- if not the the bitichenest  Studes----- EVER----what a ride, what a ride!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »
Glad he got the headers to work. I hate those 'oh crap' moments
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
I don't have time to post a lot of build pictures now, but will share the ones below and will add more and info after B'ville.

I started on the vertical stabilizers Hooley had made and wanted to post....

...the picture above as it gives a better idea of the size.  I took 2 inches off the top and squared off the trailing edge at the top.  Next I welded on 3/4 inch round tubing to the leading edge, trailing edge and top.  Once it is skinned the top and leading edge will be the round tubing.  I put it on the trailing edge as I believe that it will help there with a smoother transition when I wrap the skin past it into a 5 inch taper.

Next up is the intercooler ice water tank that is finished except for some additional heat shields as it will sit out in the area between the engine (and Header) and the fender on the driver side.  It holds exactly 28 gallons of water/ice.

Above you can see it under construction with the twin pumps on the right that expel water into the small tank they are attached to that has two flapper check valves I made in it.  The tank will connect with one inch hoses to the bottom outlets to the left and each outlet will go to a separate intercooler.

In this next picture...

... the construction is further along and the arrow points to the return area of the tank and I boxed it off to keep the warmer return water from contacting the cold water going out below it.

Above you can see the wooden mockup tank on the right that was made at Hooley's and used to make sure the new tank, left, hopefully will fit in the car when it gets to Utah.

The...

... two arrows point to the two bolts that screw into studs that compress the lid and hold it on the tank.  It should be very easy to add ice and as I mentioned above the tank holds 28 gallons.

Next...

... the first heat shield was made and although hard to see it covers the entire side of the tank facing the headers.  1 inch of FyreWrap, like what was used on the rad-in-a-box will be placed behind this shield and one or two more air gap shields will be place over most of this area also.  When the car shows up we will look at covering the other 3 sides of the tank with the FyreWrap insulation,

Sum
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:25:14 AM by Sumner »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Hooley just call and the engine runs  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:.

He has a lot of little things, like putting the rear fenders on and wiring and such but he just might be on his way to Utah Sunday  :-) :-),

Sum

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
Your tank work's looking impressive Sum. You sure haven't started with the simple stuff and worked your way up. You jumped in at the top!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
Your tank work's looking impressive Sum. You sure haven't started with the simple stuff and worked your way up. You jumped in at the top!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Thanks, today I got...

...one of the stabilizers skinned on both sides and the other one ready for the skin.  I still have to put the trailing edge on the one above, weld all the seams and do some bondo work.  If I can finish this one and the other one tomorrow I should be able to do the finish work Sat./Sun.  They won't be show car material, but should work.

Hooley made the comment that the car is going to have some rough edges like the first year we ran.  Next year it should look better,

Sum

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
Everything looks great Sumner.  You get a lot more done than I do. 

I primed the fiberglass rocker panels, that I made, this morning.  I will go to Hooley's tomorrow morning to fit them to the car.  I will not have time to paint them.

The air intake is done but needs some sanding on the inside.  It did not release from the mold cleanly but it will be useable.

Stay on task everyone.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »
Cant wait to see this bad boy in person next week  :-) And meet Sum and Hooley. I hear lots of good things about Sum when Im over helping Sparky  :-)