Author Topic: Wait...so there actually WILL be a prop car on the salt?  (Read 8165 times)

Offline JustaRacer

Re: Wait...so there actually WILL be a prop car on the salt?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »
Laugh if you must, but Cox made a Bonneville Special tether car.  I had one as a kid.  It was rear engine prop drive.  Cox was WAY ahead of their time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COX-SHRIKE-BONNEVILLE-SPECIAL-LAND-SPEED-GAS-Powered-PROP-ROD-TETHER-CAR-w-BOX-/200879536106?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item2ec55a77ea
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »
I know that this may sound crazy, but why is this post on the 'LR' site/forum? That person was a drama queen back in the day & years later people are still feeding him his "prop"ra-gada (I tried to be funny), but seriously why is he still around & being allowed to have posts by others on this "great resource" site.

Chris Nelson
Kansas

Slim, if you take offense to my post feel free to delete it........but, that "prop" guy gets under my skin.......He's like the guy that walks in to your shop and tells you that your doing it wrong and how he should do it........and then he goes home in his 'Prius'.
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
No offense, but chances are now that I'll get a psuedo-flame in the inbox or something.  No, make that the junk folder -- I don't see the stuff from that guy 'til I review what's gone to junk.  Your comments are your feelings, and won't change much of anything here on landracing.com.  Don't worry.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Gman

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 02:16:11 PM »
.....He's like the guy that walks in to your shop and tells you that your doing it wrong and how he should do it........and then he goes home in his 'Prius'.

Our driver/owner actually owns a Prius.  Would you believe that you could fit a long block hemi in the back of it, a 14-71 blower on the seat and a B&J trans on the floor?  His kids picked that stuff up in the midwest and brought it all back to California.  I guess it does have its merits.  It got 40+ mpg and saved the gas of sending the truck.
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline bdracing36

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
Something like this...Nothing wring with a prius when used properly

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
That's Awesome! Looks right at home. Maybe a V-drive to a quick change could complete the install!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »
Hmmm....a hemi mid-engine Prius? That would be an ultimate sleeper!

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 09:35:53 PM »
  And the Prius should be put to sleep.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 11:25:47 PM »
I read a quote today from Jeremy Clarkson. He's a host on the British Top Gear. I believe his words were, "Carbon footprint? I don't have a carbon foot print, I drive evrywhere."
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 11:46:10 PM »
Someones building a prius. Oughta look at the drag coefficient then start laughing. Wonder if they laughed at benham and the crosley  :-D

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »
How about a prop prius haha

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 06:00:27 PM »
Did he say he plans to bring it to a sanctioned event? He can go there in June and run it without any worries of failing tech if he so desires.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 09:04:53 PM »
I am going to say something that I do not want anyone to construe in any way that I would condone or even consider a prop driven land speed car, BUT if you apply a propeller properly and allow it to be mounted to allow good clean air from a properly designed body to be fed to it, I am talking about a pusher configuration, the prop can be as high as 85% efficient. Now this is pretty good probably not that far off of a transmission,differential, drive wheel combination for efficiency, plus the prop will accelerate the air over the body and can actually assist the aero. There have been small single seater planes, pusher prop configuration that have gone over 300 mph with 100 real horse power. Pretty impressive.

I will not accept any correspondence addressed to "Propster II"

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »
Our environmental folks have a Prius as a company car.  About a year ago all of the cars belonging to the engineering group were broken, being used, or missing.  Four of us engineers needed some wheels for a trip to Astoria.  We hijacked the Prius from the enviros.  It was a project to figure out how to turn it on.  Eventually we got going.  There is a gauge on the dash that tells the gas mileage while you drive.  We drove that puppy hard.  The object was to make that car get the worst mileage we could.  That thing insisted on fuel economy.  We could not make it drink gas.  We were hauling donkey on twisty roads during all of this hijinx.  The handling was great.  We had the fastest time ever between Salem and Astoria.  Left for the meeting late and got there plenty early.  That was the only time I was in one and it was a very impressive little car. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 11:06:21 AM »
I was correct. The propster is the same person I found on FB. Just saw a response to Rick Y using the FB picture.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth