Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 342045 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #495 on: January 09, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
We're out in the boonies and on the Co-op's grid, so surges aren't uncommon - and outages have been known to happen, too. :roll:  We've got uninterruptible power supplies on the computers, so not only do we have no surges getting through to the 'puter -- we have about 15 minutes to shut down if the lights go out.  A UPS will cost under $100 up here -- no idea of the price in SA, but still -- have you looked into them?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #496 on: January 09, 2014, 09:18:18 AM »
I don't want to hijack Joe's thread but I'm going to get one Jon.
 For sure. I can't go on like this.

My problem is fixing stuff that broke or spending the bucks on the liner.
I'm in two minds and they're both saying Liner, Liner!!! :-D

Sorry Joe.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #497 on: January 09, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
Thanks guys! :cheers: I'm really looking forward to having this thing in primer. Gonna look good when it's all one color.

I wish I had pictures of things like the wiring and plumbing, etc. But all of that will come soon enough. All of the progress lately has really put some wind in my sails! We have come up with solutions to quite a few different things, from the body to the engine. Parts are trickling in, and life is good!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #498 on: January 09, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
I like that you haven't bitched once about the weather. :-D

You're on such a roll right now I'm battling to keep up. :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #499 on: January 22, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »
Sorry guys, been quiet for a while. Rest assured I'm hard at it. The body work continues! I'd like to have it in primer by now, but I have decided that anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #500 on: January 23, 2014, 12:25:03 AM »
My all time favourite.

FILLER. :-D :evil:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #501 on: January 23, 2014, 12:35:14 AM »
Joe, Hank looks sooooooo good!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #502 on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »
Thanks PJ! I was just going to get everything close and paint it. That has changed. Like I said before; If I'm putting this much work into everything else, why would I take shorcuts on the body and paint. I think it will just take away from the rest of the car. Worst case scenario, if it's not fast at least it will look darn good!

Offline Tman

« Reply #503 on: January 23, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »
Is that Evercoat Rage Gold? If not, buy some. Skim that whole thing and start with a longboard. You will be happier in the end than doing spotwork.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #504 on: January 23, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »
I have to do spot work first Trent. Remember, this car sat for a long time with who knows what being stacked on it, bounced off of it, and ran into it. Funny how a car will look straight until you get the ancient paint off of it. We're going to take care of all the big dents using a hammer and filler, then ole Hank will get skim coated and blocked.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #505 on: January 23, 2014, 12:26:21 PM »
Is that Evercoat Rage Gold? If not, buy some. Skim that whole thing and start with a longboard. You will be happier in the end than doing spotwork.

Trent, tell me more about Evercoat Rage Gold. I use filler like no one else and I'm always interested in learning about product I don't know.

Offline Tman

« Reply #506 on: January 25, 2014, 12:01:20 AM »

Trent, tell me more about Evercoat Rage Gold. I use filler like no one else and I'm always interested in learning about product I don't know.

I am a huge fan of standard Rage but the Rage Gold is lighter and sands better. I have used Evercoat Rage and metal Glaze for many years with great. Almost all the folks I know swear by it. Also, lots of guys here say Upol is as good as rage at a lower price   http://www.u-pol.co.uk/. I have not tried this but am looking forward to it

Offline tauruck

« Reply #507 on: January 25, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »
Thanks Trent.

Some fillers are like concrete. We all learn the hard way. :-D

I suppose the aim is to use as little as possible.
I use filler for building plugs so I go through more than most.
My choice is a German product called Voschem Soft.
Like anything else the better the product the more you pay.

Offline Tman

« Reply #508 on: January 25, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
The Upol stuff is actually one of the least expensive lines. At least in our area.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #509 on: January 27, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
I have no idea what filler I'm using. It says 3M on it. Sands great, and it's what every painter and body guy I know told me to get.

The body work continues. Got a few dings to beat on the right side of the car this evening, and then... More sanding. Not my favorite thing to do by any stretch of the imagination.