Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 342180 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #345 on: October 07, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
Frank, I used a very scientific method when building my intake. A gentleman I have been aquainted with for some time combined barley, hops, yeast and water. He allowed this mixture to age for some time in beech wood barrels. This brew was then liberally applied to the thought process of my intake and exhaust system. Upon application I realized that this what not a project to be taken lightly and recruited a couple of good friends to assist me in the application process. Once this mixture of grains and water had been thoroughly applied, so began the discussion and fabrication of the final product you now see.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Tman

« Reply #346 on: October 07, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »
I use the same formula.  :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #347 on: October 07, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »
ROTFLMAO.....I use that formula as well!  :-D  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #348 on: October 07, 2013, 04:46:27 PM »
I may have missed a step or two, things were starting to get a little hazy as the weekend wore on. The only problem I have found with this formula is that over application of the afore mentioned substance may, at that particular time, leave one feeling very knowledgeable and confident. This being said I experienced a minor headache the next morning. Probably from all the extra power of thought, and excellent ideas my brain was producing.  :roll:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #349 on: October 07, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
I may have missed a step or two, things were starting to get a little hazy as the weekend wore on. The only problem I have found with this formula is that over application of the afore mentioned substance may, at that particular time, leave one feeling very knowledgeable and confident. This being said I experienced a minor headache the next morning. Probably from all the extra power of thought, and excellent ideas my brain was producing.  :roll:

I drink you have a thinking problem. :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #350 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »
Goggles,  I concur,  Joe, fine application of the scientific processes.  :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline tauruck

« Reply #351 on: October 08, 2013, 12:30:25 AM »
That scientific process got me into this LSR thing in the first place. It's a powerful thing and since it only subtracts the weakest, slowest brain cells from the equation it leaves one using all the advantages of the........uh, :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #352 on: October 08, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
Well, there is a big void between my front frame rails where the Jimmy used to reside. Got it dropped off last night and had some good discussion with my engine builder about what we are trying to do. I believe he's as excited as I am about this!

In the mean time I'm going to finish up the welding inside the car and prepare to get the roof back on it!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #353 on: October 08, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
Gotta love them milestones  :cheers:
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2013, 06:47:58 PM »
For the sake of discussion, I'd really like to draw air for my engine from the cowl. I'm hunting for ideas of filter placement, and how to implement such a plan. I have a few ideas of my own, just curious what you all have seen or done.

Hopefully the pictures I have posted will help you lot along.

I was planning an airbox that was fed from a vent in the cowl. Inside said box I was going to use one of the small round air filters. the type you see on a lot of dual carbbed street rigs. then plumb that to the carb. The big question I have is, will the filter area be large enough or will the engine be starved for air at 6000 rpm?

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
Mmm, joe, seems some malted beverages are in order as this will take some pondering. How much area is available in the cowl vent area redundant.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #356 on: October 09, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »
Joe, I don't think the filter size will starve your engine. It's the amount of air coming into said filter. How much salt gets up around the cowl during a run if any?

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #357 on: October 09, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »
That's what I don't know Mike. And if your thinking of not using a filter, I've thought of that too. Just not sure
how much of a risk that would be. I can't imagine a whole lot of salt will be in that area during a run, but I'm pretty sure any salt inside an engine is a too much.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #358 on: October 09, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »
Frank, I have a fair amount of room. Definitely enough for a large air intake, and a decent sized filter housing.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #359 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »
Joe, I raced cars powered by peripheral port Mazda rotary motors and they were super sensitive to what went in air wise. The Guru, Ken Howes who now runs the Hendrick NASCAR program over there came up with a sock that worked great. It breathed better than conventional "race" filters by far and kept the fod out. I've got some of that material if you want it. I've got two molds for  airboxes I made that went on a Camaro that ran a Sonny Leonard 510 BBC with TPI. One is a smallish unit but with the ducting we ran it got enough air to the motor. The thing was pushing out 1500HP on NOS. Still the most powerful car I've ever driven. I'll email you pics of the box molds, I know they fit the Holley. The unit I made them for had the same dimensions. It won't take much to cobble one together if you like it. It's easier to put together than the moon discs at this stage. I feel bad that I promised to make the discs for you guys and haven't done them yet.