Author Topic: My salt addiction  (Read 342139 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: My salt addiction
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
Made a fair amount of progress on the frame work for the floor today. Gotta round up some sheet metal tomorrow and hopefully have a floor and firewall in Hank by next weekend!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
You may want to look at something a little heavier than "sheet" metal. 1/8" is really common and lots are much heavier. It provides weight in the area that you want it plus if something lets go, i.e. a driveshaft or engine, it helps keep stuff out of the driver's compartment. More than one entrant has retrofitted a heavier floor after having a dramatic event.

Pete

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2013, 11:49:58 PM »
I`m also not seeing any gussets on the cage yet. Hope you are ready to go on these.....

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
I believe I have the gussets covered. Where would you suggest additional ones Kiwi?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
PJ, That is exactly what I was thinking! For one, it's easier to work with, and two, it will sure help to keep shrapnel out of the drivers compartment!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
Joe, wheelrdealer can tell you a scary story about a driveshaft coming in the car. Hank looks good. You never got my email maybe?. I was going to send these and other pics.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2013, 12:53:56 AM »
Look at Jerry`s Build Diary (Found Soul) There is a video link which I found to be very informative. Remember to overbuild (I think you already are doing that, just saying) especially when it comes to the gussets at shoulder hoop and main hoop junctions on the drivers side. Remember--it`s only my opinion and cocern for your health, not to mention that I want to see you breeze through Tech and Run This Beast!!

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2013, 08:01:01 AM »
"Look at Jerry`s Build Diary (Found Soul)"

I could not find that diary. Do you remember the title? Phil

gkabbt

« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2013, 08:06:21 AM »
"Look at Jerry`s Build Diary (Found Soul)"

I could not find that diary. Do you remember the title? Phil

Jerry's build is documented on his diyautotune site:
http://www.diyautotune.com/cars/project/diyautotune_s13_240sx.htm
Here is a pretty neat youtube video as well:
http://youtu.be/9CHlBQuGWL0

This came from the Gusset thread in the Technical Discussion section:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,12483.30.html

Gregg
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:11:46 AM by gkabbt »

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2013, 10:12:48 AM »
I appreciate your concern Kiwi! I'm always open to suggestions or changes. Being my first rodeo I darn sure wanna get it right and make it through tech without a bunch of grief! I have found this build is very different from any of the street cars I have done in the past.

Which brings up a great point, I love this forum for the help, knowledge, and information that is so freely passed around! I just want to say thanks!
 :cheers: Everyone on here has been a huge help!

Mike, I got your email, haven't had a chance to get back to you till today. I love that black Henry J with the silver flames! Feel free to email anymore pics you may have!

Gregg, Thanks for the link to the video. Pretty neat stuff!

Back to the build. I got some steel coming for the floor and the firewall today. If all goes well I will have a bit of the floor in this evening!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »
Floor is going in! Hopefully if I keep at I can have "Ole Hank" on the salt in August! As long as I make a little progress each day I should be good to go.

And, for the record, I went with 1/8 plate to keep any baddies from getting to me in the event of something bad happening!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:39 PM »
Nice work Joe. :cheers:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
I believe I have the gussets covered. Where would you suggest additional ones Kiwi?

Junkie, I took the liberty of modifying one of your photo to show some suggested gusset additions.

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline tauruck

« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
Frank, new avatar, you getting close to the head of the queue?. :-D

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
Thanks Capt!  :cheers: I was hoping somebody smarter than me would figure out how to do that. I felt like I was a little short in the department, but wasn't too sure where to add any more gussets. Kind of the "you can't see the forest for the trees" scenario.