Author Topic: 2013 SCTA-BNI rulebook released to printer  (Read 8713 times)

Offline dw230

Re: 2013 SCTA-BNI rulebook released to printer
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 05:50:10 PM »
Final proof approved and the book released  to the printer today. Three weeks  :?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »
I hope not

It used to and hopefully it will say it again soon.  We've been on the wrong side of the coin for too long IMO and too many folks have been trying to get away with too much flim flamy BS simply because "the rule book doesn't say I can't do this so that means that I can".  Ok fine we can fix that by adding "if it doesn't say you can do it, you cant" and all this free reign exploitation goes away.

BTW Dan nice job pointing that out and thanks for getting the bibles off to print so soon.

Nathan..It would have to be a very FAT rule book. Thankfully there was a rush to print, or common sense prevailed saving a bunch of cars from failing inspection or protested for records.

Does the rule book say- oil tanks- intercoolers- intercooler tanks-fire bottles-ect-ect allowed in driver compartment or intercooler ducting allowed through window?

Correct me if wrong but I understand the gas coupe committee disallowed one of our members [who made the
mistake of asking] if he could run the intercooler duck through the window in gas coupe [as we do in the ALT 222 Camaro] on the grounds that it would be an aero advantage :?  Even though 11ins is allowed for hood scoops to be above hood,leaving more than enough room for an intercooler pipe underneath.

Aero advantage :roll: this is the mentality, flawed reasoning, and yes men attitude we have to deal with of committee members that don't like innovation.

JL222

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
Op Ed:

1)  SCCA Solo competition does a "Unless It Says" rulebook.  It's not going to work for SCTA.  No fookin' way.  You have be close to 100% production for it to work.  Even in "bone stock" classes, there are serious disputes.  Also, you must list all the acceptable cars for production classes. 

2)  NHRA has been issuing their rulebook online for a couple years.  If you want a paper book, you can still buy it, but you get the rulebook instantly when you sign up.  This would save money and help racers.  Hardcopy is still avail.

3)  IMO, charge at LEAST $25 for a rulebook.  My kids textbooks are about $80-100 each on average, and you get no choice in the matter.  If $25 makes you flinch, racing isn't your thing.  3 for $50 would be fine.

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »
Op Ed:

1)  SCCA Solo competition does a "Unless It Says" rulebook.  It's not going to work for SCTA.  No fookin' way.

2)  NHRA has been issuing their rulebook online for a couple years. 

3)  IMO, charge at LEAST $25 for a rulebook. 

Counterpoint:

1)  Agreed.  The SCCA book is a nightmare, and the wrong model to base anything on except a door stop.

2)  Online would inhibit sales and advertising which keeps the book at . . .

3)  $10 each - same price I paid for my first one in 1993 - a momento of my trip to El Mirage.

Not that I'm in favor of McDonalds running ads in text books . . .  :wink:

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »
IIRC, the ads in the NHRA PDF are still there.  It's not stored on this computer, I'll have to see at work Monday.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »
... $10 each - same price I paid for my first one in 1993 - a momento of my trip to El Mirage.

IIRC, it costs $15 now to drive on El Mirage Dry Lake for a day.  The money goes to the Feds. 

Yes, they discount SCTA members.  Probably to avoid a lawsuit since they've been using that land for free for decades.

It seems odd you'd pay the Feds (who have no right to charge a dime) more than the SCTA.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
If you buy a BLM pass you're entitled to use all the facilities.

The SCTA passes are for workers and crew members only and restricted to participating in the event.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
  Nathan..It would have to be a very FAT rule book. Thankfully there was a rush to print, or common sense prevailed saving a bunch of cars from failing inspection or protested for records.

John, I know you rarely see things beyond a competitor's perspective but put yourself in the official's shoes who has to decide whether or not a car that comes to impound with questionable features or mods is legal or not.  How does one defend a decision of legality when there's nothing to back you in the rule book?  Sure, the easy thing to do is to say that if it's not specifically prohibited then it's allowed.  But then that also goes to say that if something isn't specifically prohibited then ANYTHING is allowed.  Yes, common sense has saved the day yet again and we continue to allow illegal cars to get through tech and set records and walk all over the association and the rule book and other competitors who actually follow the rules.  That's just lazy and careless.  Actually, what really winds up happening is a competitor tries to get away with something because it isn't specifically prohibited in the rules and when they finally get busted and a decision gets made against them, the officials involved or the association become the bad guys.  The officials and association wouldn't ever be in this position if this whole mentality of "if it ain't ain't allowed, then it's allowed" was turned around.

Kudos to the guys that ask ahead of time versus those who show up thinking they're legal and then throw a fit when they get booted out of impound because they're not.       

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dw230

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »
Just had a phone call - books have arrived at the SCTA-BNI distribution center(Mike Cook's shop). Books are available for SCTA clubs to pick up for their members. The balance will be relocated to the office early next week for release to the public.

Thank you all  for your patience,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 07:16:34 PM »
Well done again Dan
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »
Will advertisers receive a copy, too?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
LR.com, as an advertiser, got a copy last year, Chris, so I assume we'll - and you'll - get one this time, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com