Author Topic: UK TV BBC2 Speed Dreams  (Read 15423 times)

Offline Windy

• New folks
UK TV BBC2 Speed Dreams
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
As an ex UK motorcycle sprinter from late 1960 to 1975 it was a breath of fresh air to watch a British TV program showing the speed attempts at Bonneville of a group of UK contenders.

UK TV show very little regarding straightline speed attempts.

One of my favorite record venues Elvington has noise restrictions now so bikes like what I used to run are banned.

Bonneville was a place I dreamed of running at in 1974 but was not to be.

All the best for 2013 to speed enthusiasts.

Windy

I used to sprint and drag race blown 650, 750 and double engined triumphs in the late 60s to mid 70s. Best s/s 1/4 9.59sec 156mph terminal. 1974 on my double engine Triumph at Elvington. 207.9mph was averaged over the flying 1/4 mile one way. A few years later I finished riding bikes but still get a thrill when there are speed events. My intrests now are wild life (nature), fishing and making model steam driven 122+mph National record holding hydroplane. Can not keep away from speed related things. Hoping the British Steam Car Challenge eventually gets a crack at the World record. When riding the big Triumph it was always a dream to have a go on the salt flats i.e. Like Bert Munro. Unfortunately it was not to be. I wish all competitors and supporters all the best in what they do.

Offline Cameradude

Re: UK TV BBC2 Speed Dreams
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
 :-D I tried to get on BBC on DirecTV with no luck.  Any Suggestions??  Thanks
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »
think the only way you're going to get it in the US is by downloading it as a torrent...

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
I downloaded "Expat Shield" which assigns a UK IP address to my PC, then watched it on the computer - great show; I look forward to part 2
Michael
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
I downloaded "Expat Shield" which assigns a UK IP address to my PC, then watched it on the computer - great show; I look forward to part 2
Michael

i thought those were previews, didn't realize the whole episodes would air. very cool show...

Offline Windy

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »
Thanks for your favorable replies over here response has been good from majority of viewers apart from a few that do not live in our World of speed.

Windy
I used to sprint and drag race blown 650, 750 and double engined triumphs in the late 60s to mid 70s. Best s/s 1/4 9.59sec 156mph terminal. 1974 on my double engine Triumph at Elvington. 207.9mph was averaged over the flying 1/4 mile one way. A few years later I finished riding bikes but still get a thrill when there are speed events. My intrests now are wild life (nature), fishing and making model steam driven 122+mph National record holding hydroplane. Can not keep away from speed related things. Hoping the British Steam Car Challenge eventually gets a crack at the World record. When riding the big Triumph it was always a dream to have a go on the salt flats i.e. Like Bert Munro. Unfortunately it was not to be. I wish all competitors and supporters all the best in what they do.

Offline Hoody

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »
If you can use some form of proxy service to trick the iplayer into thinking you are from the UK you can watch the first part of this program here for the next few days at least. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pvbdv/Speed_Dreams_The_Fastest_Place_on_Earth_Episode_1/  second part should be available after it is shown on Sunday night coming. (may be able to watch it as it is shown?)

Offline pofg

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »
Grazing the Gravel Trap of Insanity.

#1133 Flower of Scotland.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »
Well done video. Too bad it looses so much resolution from being compressed in YouTube. Thanks for posting.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
I really enjoyed that Rick. Thank-you.

Pete

Offline TAKERRY

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »
That is a great video. Now I really have to get going on my car to be ready in Sept. Just what I needed to get me a jump start.
No trailer ran 135mph at the World of Speed 2011 see you in 2012 in Ohio and back at Bonneville at the world of speed going for the 150club 1979 Firebird T/A White . Ck out YOU TUBE. KERRY AT BONNEVILLE. Didn't  make 2012,2013,2014. ECTA in Ohio 2012 trans went out and 2013 fuel problems . Still trans and fuel problems. Finally all looks good. Ready to drive (no trailer) 1500 miles to Bonneville and It's cancelled. NEXT YEAR. SEPT. ECTA RAN 144 MPH. GETTING BETTER. 2021 Ran 152 fulfilled a ten year dream to make the 150 club.

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »
I had the opportunity to watch this afternoon.

The lady mistakenly identified as Tannis Hammond is in fact Ms. Ali Erchanbrack. Ali is with the Youngblood's Hot Rod Team(Don Youngblood is her father) and has driven to records in two different cars the past three years.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »
Tanks Rick! I see we got some air time as well!

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »
Thanks Rick, I needed a fix.
Can't wait for #2

Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »
Wow, totally great, 180 degrees from what I thought it would be like.   Thanks for the patch Rick.

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT