Author Topic: GOOD NEWS FOR SALT?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline BIGHORN

GOOD NEWS FOR SALT?
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
Wall ST Journal today says Potash demand is down due to high cost and cheaper alternatives.
Hope this reduces Bville salt removal
John Kelly

Offline nrhs sales

Re: GOOD NEWS FOR SALT?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
a friend was telling me that one of the byproducts of coal burning power plants is an ash similar to potash that concrete companies are now using as it is very cheap to buy from the plants and very plentiful.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
Let's not be too hasty in hurrahing the downturn in the potash mining industry.  While yes, the reduction in removal of brine from the Bonneville salt flats might seem good news -- but if the mining company isn't making money and isn't removing the brine because they aren't in production - - will they have the wherewithal to continue returning salt to the surface of the flats?  And will they be required to try pumping waste salt back to the flats if they aren't in production?  Does the BLM permit require putting salt back even if they (Intrepid, in this case) aren't in production?

I don't know the answers and the rules per the permit - but want to avoid saying any news is good news 'til I know that it's all good.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »
a friend was telling me that one of the byproducts of coal burning power plants is an ash similar to potash that concrete companies are now using as it is very cheap to buy from the plants and very plentiful.

That is flyash and yes it is used quite a bit. But, DC is trying to shut down the powerplants so there goes the flyash supply.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »
I think Washington State, and Colorado might be the new leaders in production of Pot Ash.   :mrgreen:

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline travisspeed

• New folks
    • http://www.Bike410.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »
Wendover mines has annual production of 100,000 tons of potash and 200,000 tons of magnesium chloride, with annual gross revenue of $65 million per year....

The company's are  http://www.mesaexploration.com/s/Bounty_Potash.asp  
http://www.intrepidpotash.com/AboutUs/LocationsOperations/WendoverUT.aspx
Now heres a canadian mining wanting to come in now.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55539166-78/potash-project-area-mesa.html.csp

NEWS
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/intrepid-potash-inc-announces-preliminary-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-2012-sales-and-production-results-provides-a-brief-project-update-and-schedules-fourth-quarter-2012-conference-call-2013-01-17
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:26:27 PM by travisspeed »
Bike 410 One Fast Turbocharged Yahama r6 naked :) Top Speed 182 in 2011
scta 650ccM-BF 169 M-BG 175.553
AMA 650cc M-BG 173.038
First year @ Bonneville 1986

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »
Having read all the above attachments & viewed the map of mining opperations both existing & proposed, one would be under the impression that the "Bonneville Salt Flats State Park" is not & will not be affected by any such actions.
That is extremely well written by Intrepid to not disclose where their raw material is actually being taken from but why would they.
To Joe Public, everything is just phucking peachy!!
So what are those "car racing people" whining about?
If there actually was any problem, the BLM would step in wouldn't they?

If you haven't already, may now grab your ankles & assume the position.
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:08:01 AM »
Sid --

I'm glad you waded thru it for us.  I got in a little way, didn't like the smell and had to leave.

Thanx,
Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
295,000 combined tonnage a year being removed and the Government has to spend how many millions of dollar (way back when)to find out where the salt is going ????????? Give me a freakin break. Rant over, brain still fuming.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
To my recollection, Riley Investments (previous mining company) lease was due to expire in the early 2000's but with a "paper transaction" to Intrepid, the lease was renewed allowing the operation to continue.

Can anybody elaborate on this?
Is it fact or fiction?
  Sid.