Author Topic: Vintage Coupe questions/clarifications  (Read 4833 times)

slowpoke

Vintage Coupe questions/clarifications
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:15:10 AM »
I am considering buying a fenderless 40 Ford coupe modified for lakes racing. I would like to run in Vintage Altered Coupe and not Vintage Comp Coupe if possible. I need a clarification on whether this car can run in Vintage Altered Coupe with the following current modifications:

1. Body is channeled over the frame. The Vintage rules state "body must be mounted in a conventional manner". The Altered Coupe rules say as long as the body is not below the frame it is OK but it does not use the word channeling. While in the Comp Coupe class rules it says it allows channeling. However, there is some wording at the end of the Altered Coupe paragraph on frame/body relationship that states that this rule does not apply to Vintage classes so not sure if that means "no channeling" or if it means that you can drop the body BELOW the frame rails if you want. Bottom line is that I need to know if channeling is OK for Vintage Altered Coupe.

2. Rear wheels are currently tucked into the body. EDITED: I think I have resolved this second question with some help from JD Tone. I cannot run the rear wheels inside the rear fender wells. No problem, I can buy a regular rear end that puts the rear wheels back where they belong and fill the notches in the rear wheel wells.

My purchase of this car rests on whether it can be run in the Vintage Altered class so I really appreciate any advise and rules clarifications.

By the way, anyone recognize this car? It looks like it was never finished or run at the lakes. Might have been built in the So Cal area by a guy who ran a business called "Mr.40's" but that is speculation at this time.

Thanks, Jody

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:28:59 PM »
Buy the car it looks gorgeous and don't worry about running it.  If you want to stay confused, buy a slightly modified motorcycle and try to get it classified.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:42:27 PM »
Doug Robinson - Vintage Coupe & Sedan Chairperson

horsepower@urs2.net

DW

terry russell

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 03:07:41 PM »
I maybe speeking out of turn,but buy the car the heck with the class.
 terry

slowpoke

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 03:58:25 PM »
Thanks, I will email Doug to get his take on these questions and a few others regarding this car. Will let everyone know if I end up buying this car. If I don't buy it, I will pass along the contact info of the owner for everyone else.

Please let me know if anyone recognizes this car, thx. Here's my email and cell #:
jodymartinATadelphia.net (substitute @ for AT)
619-990-8248

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:56:32 PM »
Having run in the class it is my opinion that you may channel the body the width of the frame only. That is no part of the body may hang below the bottom of the frame. I ran my '32 this way. Bottom of the body even with the bottom of the frame.

slowpoke

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 11:30:08 PM »
Quote from: RichFox
Having run in the class it is my opinion that you may channel the body the width of the frame only. That is no part of the body may hang below the bottom of the frame. I ran my '32 this way. Bottom of the body even with the bottom of the frame.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will try to make this deal happen. Will need ALOT more advise if it does.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 02:31:01 PM »
What power plant are you planning on? That long narrow hood seems to be asking for a GMC, if you ask me.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »
I don't think it will be one of the non-bent engines....Looking at where BMR has put them and knowing the BMR car can fit inside a 40 Ford makes me think of a certain vaqlve in block engine:<) Jody and I have exchanged many e-mails......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

slowpoke

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 05:22:08 PM »
Quote from: RichFox
What power plant are you planning on? That long narrow hood seems to be asking for a GMC, if you ask me.

To be honest, I am a GM guy, but for this poject, it will be a Ford in a Ford. I already have most of the engine parts for it.