Author Topic: Production Cars, anyone still drive them on the street?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline CTX-SLPR

Production Cars, anyone still drive them on the street?
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »
Howdy,

Just wondering if anyone that races in the production classes still drives thier cars on the street, even if only on a limited basis?
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Production Cars, anyone still drive them on the street?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »
Why ruin a race car by driving on the street.Seems like where ever it is it would have to meet all state codes as far as emissions etc. A lot of work to change over.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:42:12 PM »
That train done left the station.

Along with all of the other classes, production classes have had to upgrade for safety to the point where a street driven production SCTA legal car is virtually impossible. 

Try checking your left rear view mirror with a lateral restraint that extends past your chin, or picking up a pizza and balancing it on your two fire bottles in a car with a 10 point cage.  Then comes the trick of parallel parking a car with the steering restricted so that the tires don't rub in the fenderwells.

If you're willing to put up with that kind of grief, yes, it's possible.  But given the requirements production classes have to comply with, the cars are actually safer on the salt than they would be on the street.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
That train done left the station.

Along with all of the other classes, production classes have had to upgrade for safety to the point where a street driven production SCTA legal car is virtually impossible. 

Try checking your left rear view mirror with a lateral restraint that extends past your chin, or picking up a pizza and balancing it on your two fire bottles in a car with a 10 point cage.  Then comes the trick of parallel parking a car with the steering restricted so that the tires don't rub in the fenderwells.

If you're willing to put up with that kind of grief, yes, it's possible.  But given the requirements production classes have to comply with, the cars are actually safer on the salt than they would be on the street.

:cheers: :cheers: Sid.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
Caging your street car has always been iffy.  Should you get in an accident without a helmet and 5-pt in place, you'll probably fair a lot worse than without it.  Pad everything you can touch.

I drive my SCTA-legal entry on the street when I have to, but it's a PITA.  

BUT...  

It really depends on YOU.  Not everyone likes a challenge, but some thrive on challenges.

Here's some pointers if you decide to go that route:

Cage it for 2 seats, not one.
Side mirrors should not be removed.  Very little difference in aero.
Door Locks must stay in place.  I cripple mine with a removable screw.
Lowering should be adjustable.
Airdam should be removable.
Digital Fuel Injection is your good friend.
Make seat height adjustable.
Leave the cigarette lighter active (it's used for phone charging).
Door bars should be removable.
Helmet Side Bars should be removable.
Stick with real brakes, not racing brakes.

But...  There are orgs that permit street cars to race LSR at Bonneville and lots of Mile tracks as well.  130/150 Club? etc.

Top Gear was running bone stock cars over 175mph at a Bville event.  Not sure which event that was.

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
Sounds like along my line of thinking.  Not that I'd daily drive it but I'd love to be able to take it to a cruise, drive my friends who help me build it but can't make it to the salt, that type of thing.  I've thought about trying to drive it all the way to Bonneville with the "unstreetable" stuff in the trunk/backseat area and convert it over on the spot. 

I get dedicated race vehicles but it just seems that if it's called Production, it seems like it should be useable on the street still.  Then again Pro Stock and NASCAR both have Stock in the names, but what is stock about either of them?
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline will6er

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 06:24:20 PM »
Didn't Jimmy Shine do that a couple of years ago in a roadster. At least that's how it was advertised.

will6er

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:36:58 AM »
I get dedicated race vehicles but it just seems that if it's called Production, it seems like it should be useable on the street still.  Then again Pro Stock and NASCAR both have Stock in the names, but what is stock about either of them?

I'd say up until about 10 years ago, it was still a viable option.  When cages became required, that was pretty much the end of the line.

Personally, I think it's a shame, because I could think of nothing cooler than driving a car to an event, racing it, and then driving it home.

Realistically, here's the issue - you have to account for the fastest speeds possible.

SCTA-BNI does a great job of keeping their events safe, but the nature of the race course is such that if something lets go, one could be literally miles away from help.

Drag racing - 1/4 mile and shut-down, ambulance and tow truck - 30 seconds.

NASCAR - four corners to slow you up, ambulance and tow truck - 30 seconds. 

A chute lets go at Bonneville, and you could be out of cell phone range before the help could even radio an ambulance.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline petercalaguiro

• May 2015
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 07:49:22 PM »
I've been doing it for four years at the ECTA......best speed of 172. hopefully faster this year. Tons of fun!!
Peter
Peter
02G0250

Offline t russell

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 10:52:03 AM »
I've been doing it for four years at the ECTA......best speed of 172. hopefully faster this year. Tons of fun!!
Peter
And doing it with style !

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
2012 Challenger STR8. PLM KRZE. Tag, titled, and insured in NC.

Cert to 175 ECTA. Drove it to Wilmington twice. Yes, in the containment seat. PB of 153.7 mph @ Ohio.

Put in on a trailer and pulled it with the pick up for the July and September meets. That way me and the misses can hold hands while we were going to those meets.

OBTW, that Stude is one bitchn street car!!!!!
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:17:23 PM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.