Author Topic: Engine classes  (Read 30160 times)

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
Re: Engine classes
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
trimmers if you don't like how the rule was written; submit a rule change to the scta board

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »
I don't necessarily want to change the rule, as I can't tell what it was really intended to mean.   I'd just like to see its inherent contradictions clarified.  Although I do have a vehicle with one of the engines in question (a 1963 Ranchero with 170 Thriftpower 6), I doubt if I'd ever want to run it in competition.  I've got a couple of other cars for that. 

Anyway, I've already got a clarification request drafted to submit on this issue (plus one on another), but it's a bit early.  I'll probably wait until right after Speedweek, so as to beat the Sept 1 submission deadline.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Online Stan Back

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »
After reading four pages, it's readily apparent what the rule was made for.  It was to exclude the later-model engines, GM and Ford, that were introduced in 1960.  (Yes, yes -- as 1960 models!  Jeremy Schmidt did the initial drawings for GM for the 230 in 1953, coincidentally the last year of the Flathead Ford, unless you count France, and the fact he was in Germany and did it in metric, which means it could be excluded in Gas Coupe unless it had a flathead motorcycle engine which if early enough (say before 9 A.M.) get a 33-1/3%  (or 25%?)  discount on displacement.  Early entries may allow that to move to 42%, and you can then move up in class because no one remembers how to take one apart any more and measure it (Tuesday only).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »
Stan, I knew you could clarify everything.  :? :? :?  :cheers:

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
Stan! I love it! Everything has become so much clearer now!  :-D
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
It's always been clear to me but I'm a friend of Stand's..........or I started reading about the SCTA in about 1953..........or my first car in 1958 met the specs of XO eventho the class wasn't there yet............or I'm old............or I only read between the lines when it comes to roadster bodies.....................or :evil:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
Stan,

Yeah but, what if I have a ..... oh never mind.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
Keep this up and we will have as many car classes as the two wheel bunch.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
I want Vintage Hemi Classes, Chrysler, Dodge and Desoto, 1951 - 1958 production engine blocks and heads.  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
New class already exists. American Gas Roadster, C engine break only. You can move the displacement of all your Hemis up or down to meet the displacement limit of 372.9cid.

I know you have a car in one of your storage containers. I drive by your house almost every day.

I knew it! The new class does have dozens of cars ready to run.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Online Stan Back

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
Have they considered two courses at El Mirage?

(Maybe crossing?)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »
Have they considered two courses at El Mirage?

(Maybe crossing?)

Irish 2 course meal?  A beer and a potato??
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »
New class already exists. American Gas Roadster, C engine break only. You can move the displacement of all your Hemis up or down to meet the displacement limit of 372.9cid.

I know you have a car in one of your storage containers. I drive by your house almost every day.

I knew it! The new class does have dozens of cars ready to run.

DW

ROTFLMAO, no I am not interested in the American Gas Roadster class. My old STR's motor would have qualified for that class, it was a piece of junk and ran 163 in the STR at El Mirage, which is over the minimum set for the new roadster class.

Contrary to popular belief, I only own two LSR cars. The Modified Roadster, and the Temple car which would qualify for the American Gas Roadster Class, but I am not interested in running that class.

The money from the motors I have for sale on here are going towards getting the Modified Roadster making noise at El Mirage again.

Tom G.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:32:45 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2012, 12:52:31 AM »
Tom...I certainly hope so..........I may even come out a watch that, help if you needed it......Wait a minute I'd get my new truch dirty and we can't have that :cheers:....................................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »
Since I am into EARLY SBCs how about a class for 265's, No side mounts allowed, ONLY early ones with front mounts :-D :evil: Oh, and they would have to be produced in July of 1954. Simple enough?