Author Topic: Engine classes  (Read 30168 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Engine classes
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 05:50:41 AM »
Panic, I'm wondering how anyone can read the rule, and 'discover' that an early OHV v8 should be legal in XO? :?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
This is crazy!! I didn't mean to start such an uproar! Just didn't want to show up with the wrong engine and only be allowed to run for, "time only." I hope there is no hard feelings. Just a newbie trying to figure some stuff out.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline dw230

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »
"How are the uninitiated, who are reading the rule book for the first time, supposed to know where the line is really being drawn?"

When confused or just seeking info about your class Section 16 of the rulebook can be your friend.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »
Is there something wrong with just having the rules actually say what they're supposed to mean?
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »
I'm in complete agreement with you.  The SCTA should hire grammarticians and lawyers and proofreaders and forecasters to review their rules which have worked in this amateur organization for years.  They've got to get professional.  So what if they run the largest land speed event on the planet with basically only one paid employee.  This is the 20th, no 21st, Century.  Let's all twitter on this, or whatever that is.  This is just not right.  By the way, as I'm sure you're a member, you can lead the way.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »
The dryness could be cut with a knife :cheers:

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »
This is crazy!! I didn't mean to start such an uproar! Just didn't want to show up with the wrong engine and only be allowed to run for, "time only." I hope there is no hard feelings. Just a newbie trying to figure some stuff out.

You will find on page 27 of the rulebook that you need to have a skin thicker than 0.120" to use the LSR website.

:-D

Relax, this is the norm.  If somebody gets their panties twisted, it's up to them to unravel them.
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »
As an XO guy since 1974 if find this hilarious...........................JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »
    And don't forget: "The Spirit of the Rule". What? You haven't heard about that yet? You will.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    Just let it roll off and keep going. This is as much fun as you will have in your lifetime.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 12:41:24 AM »
No, never mind.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 03:07:34 AM »
And it's the "clarity of language" that got me to asking questions. In my mind if an engine was designed in 1959 but not available until '61 or '62 it would be ok. Based solely on how the rule for that class reads. Better to know now, as opposed to sitting in tech and finding out the hard way.

My way of thinking about that would be to bring written proof from the manufacturer that your 1961 engine was fully designed in 1959 and I can't see there being a problem.  That your neighbor behind you but two houses over said your 1961 engine was designed in 1959 is not definitive proof.  The problem with the rules is not the rules.  Its people reading into them what they want to see. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 07:25:07 AM »
The problem with the rules is not the rules.  Its people reading into them what they want to see. 

I agree completely.  How can "1959 or earlier model year" be read into something that clearly states "1959 or earlier design"?

A big part of any type of racing has always been rules interpretation.  Rules need to evolve as racers exploit the loopholes in them.

Many years ago, I inspected an SCCA Trans Am Sunoco Camaro.  The rules at the time limited the fuel tank to 10 gallons.  Ok, so Penske just installed a gigantic filler neck that held a couple of extra gallons.  They found a way around the rules, and took advantage of it.  The rule at the time didn't cover it, but it sure did the next year.

As someone said before, ask the Salt Cat guys.  There was nothing in the XO rules prohibiting modified stock cylinder heads at the time they modified theirs.  They found a loophole and took advantage of it.  I'm sure they had a lot time, and perhaps a lot of money invested in their efforts, only to lose the records they had set (at least in XO).

So, now we're looking at another hole in the rules.  It would be easy enough to fix so that nobody else wastes time and/or money on it.  Or, would it be better to leave it as is so that only the insiders know what it really means?   

------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline RichFox

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 09:33:30 AM »
I don't know. In '77 after SpeedWeek I decided I wanted to have an XX/Alt. The engine rules seemed pretty clear to me at the time. Later they split off the Fords. What has become more difficult since then?

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 10:14:22 AM »

You will find on page 27 of the rulebook that you need to have a skin thicker than 0.120" to use the LSR website.

:-D

Relax, this is the norm.  If somebody gets their panties twisted, it's up to them to unravel them.

OH MAN!! More rules! This is crazy!! I don't know if this is all it was cracked up to be!!  :-D

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline dw230

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
I fall back to one of my old sayings here:

Same rules, more words.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth