Author Topic: Andy Green - Bentley video  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Andy Green - Bentley video
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
No one should be driving 200mph on the salt (or anywhere else) without a helmet, real cage or other basic safety equipment.
Showing this inspires some dip s*^t kid to try the same in his big muffler honda; and as AG didnt have a helmet why should they?

I like AG but I see this type of vid as irresponsible. He has a duty to the people that admire him to lead by example.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »
No one should be driving 200mph on the salt (or anywhere else) without a helmet, real cage or other basic safety equipment.
Showing this inspires some dip s*^t kid to try the same in his big muffler honda; and as AG didnt have a helmet why should they?

I like AG but I see this type of vid as irresponsible. He has a duty to the people that admire him to lead by example.

~JH

You should see some of the Elmo videos.   :evil:

You might be surprised what hotrodders do when nobody is looking.   :evil:

If you are going to drive stupid fast, do it somewhere where you will be the only fatality.  Try to find an area with no trees, ditches, or bridges.

Perhaps that's where the whole dry lake thing came from.

Personally, I'd have had a helmet.  Always leave a good lookin' corpse.  Or at least keep enough teeth in one area to get a good ID. :cheers:

By the way, the cage in that Bentley was engineered and crash tested.   Was yours?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:24:24 PM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
Thanks, Malcolm.  Evidently I've been led astray about appending a "sir" to Mr. Green.  I'll remember that and not do it again -- at least for a while. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 12:56:45 AM »
Hotnuts has a point, the kids that see this will not have a clue that pinning the throttle is not really a good idea. Look at all the celebs that have bunged up cars like this, let alone some kid in his Honda or grandmas old Fairmont.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 07:49:56 AM »
Jon - if there is anyone who deserves the 'sir' tag it is the owner/leader of this forum. :cheers:

JH - we have the dilema of car makers who produce high performance road vehicles, that could easilly in many cases go 200 mph on the Autobahn or other unrestricted public highway when in the hands of an owner, wanting to show how effortless and safe the speed attained can be. Using the salt flats seemed to be a good place to me. The Bentley Ice record was slightly different as this was for an absolute speed and as far as I know Juha did not do a broadcast video. The Top Gear presenters use an airfiled or two or even beaches without helmets, but the public can see they are off highway.

Do we demand drivers of high speed cars wear a helmet? Certainly not a requirement in Europe. Has society ever been able to control 'boy racers' on two or four wheels- no - and we must accept that there could be a price that has to be paid by uninvolved third parties.

Andy can respond for himself on his position as a role model, but as a record breaker he ensured the vehicle teams complied with the rules on safety. MG and then Dieselmax met SCTA construction parameters for Bonneville use, (Thrust SSC and BLOODHOUND SSC are thrust powered and the SCTA do not rule on such vehicles).

Malcolm, Derby, England

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
sorry off topic.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:05:03 AM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.