Author Topic: El Mirage results  (Read 38134 times)

Offline dw230

Re: El Mirage results
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
I would be very cautious when presenting the SCTA with your well thought out plan as to how the line steward, line ups and fair lane distribution plan will work.

I did and ended up as the Impound guy.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
other video of new comp coupe 
http://youtu.be/r5cGyadv9BU

Neat car! I looked through all of the clips.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »
ya thanks  need to work on carbs, other than that car went like it should, had a good time.  car was built at our shop over 5+ years 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:34:53 AM by mkilger »

Offline FADED

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
WOW, What a sh*t storm I started, SORRY?.
 John, the 200mph and rookies would still have your own lanes, the 200 and rookie line isnt the problem. I know when Im getting ready to make my 50mph run I dont want to be behind a 200mph fuel car that takes 30 minutes to get started and to temp, I want them in their own line. We are all there for the same reason, we all have lots of time and money invested into getting there and running, the line-up niumbers are earned not given but some racers feel they have the right to snake others because they have "more" time or money invested. I know the starters have their hands full but if they notice #104 (these #s are posted on bright orange paper with bold print) when we're running 1-25 they should make an example and send them to the back of the round? (NATE)
Once again sorry for starting this but I was disapointed in the disorganization at the starting line in round 2.
I JUST WANNA GO FAST!!!

This was sent to me by another member in a PM I think it could work, we have plenty of room? And I cleaned it up a little to protect others :-o :-o

What some other forms of racing do is have multiple lanes, marked at the entrance and front:
pre stage lanes
1) 1-24   100-124
2) 25-49   125-149
3) 50-74   150-174
4) 75-99   175-up

when 1-24 is empty 100-124 can fill the gap. It could be first come as long as your in the right line in the right round.

You can get into your lane whenever you feel like to.  But you must be in your correct lane.   Anyone can tell the run status by which lane is low.  No need to freakin guess

What about the 200mph lane...?

Offline jl222

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »
  Roadsterswap...anyone reading your post would see the only person delusional is you.

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »
It would be nice if roadsterswap would use his real name so we would know who he is and what his background in LSR is.With only 56 posts he is new or changed hi identity to stir more crap up.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
 Roadsterswap...anyone reading your post would see the only person delusional is you.

JL222

I feel had Tim made a pass down the track at 165.746 mph he would be fine and still be in the SCTA points chase and that is possibly where some of his frustration is coming from.  

Glen..Tim Cunha riding the 8080 streamliner sidecar with Jack Costella running for the points championship.. :cheers:

Rodney King said it best... :-o

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
Fadede, that #104 might have not made a pass yet. I've had those situations with our car, and I always let them right through. if someone sneaks up I would say something, but I dont have to deal with that anymore we run out of the 200mph lane 1 :evil:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
I am glad to be an American and express myself no matter how right or wrong I am, in my opinion and of course in the eyes of others!

Tim, I couldn't agree with you more on most your points (El Mirage racing is NOT a spectator sport, big heavy high horsepower cars do cause course damage, there's more to LSR than just "speed"...) but you are entirely incorrect about one point.  Noonan's wind feedback was not the deciding factor in going onto a wind hold.  What you don't know (and neither would anyone else I guess) is that I had a car ready and running and about to leave the starting line when the tower came back to me (I'm a starter) and said to hold because of wind gusts.  The tower does monitor and record wind speed/direction so they can see trends and when you have gusts combined with an upwards trending wind speed, they go on hold. 

This weekend was especially tough because of the accident.  Everyone is mad because we got hung up on a wind hold but what if there are been another accident if we had continued to run?  What is someone died?  Then it'd be nothing but "the SCTA is irresponsible... the SCTA should have never let that happen.... blame the SCTA..."  Well, they rightfully decided to side with safety and hold.  If there hadn't had been an accident I'm willing to bet we would have stayed running but there was no way there were going to let there be TWO accidents in one event especially when high wind speeds have been known to cause accidents. 

FWIW, when it gets marginally close to going on wind hold, we'll sometimes ask the competitor if they feel comfortable running in the wind.  Some don't care and some are like "hell no, I'd rather sit and wait".  Case in point, a couple of months back we went on wind hold but then decided to let competitors run if they felt safe/comfortable.  Our own Stan Back had at first decided to wait but then decided to go for it and guess what?  He spun!  When that happens you can't help but feel a little stupid and then think, "gee, maybe we should have waited...". 

And don't worry about JL222.  Calling you dillusional is his go-to tactic when he runs out of defensible thoughts.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »
Oh and another thing people probably don't realize... we have no line stewards!!  None!  Pre-stage is a mess and one of the biggest problems is that they usually pack up and leave after the first round ends and then second round is a free for all.  And there's nothing like a free for all where everyone is vying for the best spot in line to really bring out the asshole in someone.  When I was a kid I used to work as a line steward at Speed Week and I seriously had people get in my face and scream at me when I would ask them to move up or tell them that I'm going to have to bring someone around them because they're holding up the line.  Like I said, some competitors act like they're out for blood and trying to manage that circus is not a fun job. 

The other problem is that being a line steward is a shitty job that no one wants to do so guess what?  No one does it!  Until someone steps up and volunteers to do it I don't imagine its every going to get any better.  It's times like these that I miss having Moose out there keeping things squared away.   

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »
How fast did that electric bike go?  It was over 170mph, but not sure.  Very impressive.  Sure, it didn't go 200, but that's just the first gen of these kinds of entries.  Expect 500+ HP electric bikes in the next decade.
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
The Blue and White electric bike went 170 and change..wrong gearing I was told...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
Wasn't to many years ago that racers were taking their vehicles to the lake bed on the Wednesday before the event to get a good starting position. They left them in line with no security to look over them. Thats why a change was made to earn a staring spot by points earned, As I recall it was Les Liggett that proposed this change and it has worked pretty well. There will always be a person trying to bypass the system. The volunteers are just that and it don't take much crap for them to walk away.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »
Ha! I totally remember that!  There was always this one particular white lakester with red scallops that was ALWAYS first in line.  Think it was the early 90's when this was still going on.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 03:49:09 PM »
WOW, What a sh*t storm I started, SORRY?.

Nah, not really a shit storm.  It's a problem and it needs to be taken care of.

I know the starters have their hands full but if they notice #104 (these #s are posted on bright orange paper with bold print) when we're running 1-25 they should make an example and send them to the back of the round? (NATE)

Lance, first a question then a comment.  Question: how are they announcing 2nd round?  Are they calling 1-25 or 1-50 or 1-100 or all competitors or what?  In months past I've heard them call a second round and they either don't specify a number group or there's no one at pre-stage to control incoming vehicles so everyone comes to staging/starting in whatever order they showed up in.  Comment: as a Jr. Starter, I really think I'd be leaving the "send backs" to either the Sr. Starter or a higher level official.  I don't get paid enough to catch heat.  :-P