Author Topic: El Mirage results  (Read 38108 times)

Offline mkilger

Re: El Mirage results
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 11:08:45 PM »
Floley, Phelps, Kilger I/GCC. First time out with new car.
http://youtu.be/Z-Da8ZxC0yg

Offline FADED

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »
This was sent to me by another member in a PM I think it could work, we have plenty of room? And I cleaned it up a little to protect others :-o :-o

What some other forms of racing do is have multiple lanes, marked at the entrance and front:
pre stage lanes
1) 1-24   100-124
2) 25-49   125-149
3) 50-74   150-174
4) 75-99   175-up

when 1-24 is empty 100-124 can fill the gap. It could be first come as long as your in the right line in the right round.

You can get into your lane whenever you feel like to.  But you must be in your correct lane.   Anyone can tell the run status by which lane is low.  No need to freakin guess

Offline desotoman

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »
??Why do they asign us A starting lineup number?? I was in the 2nd group (#58), I went to the line in round 2 after they called the 1st group and "WHAT A KLUSTER F**k!!" The pre stage officials said the gave up because everyone was just snaking in. I saw the mess and packed up and went home. Good thing I didnt wait beacause it sounds like they didnt get to run. If they are going to make it a free for all they should have announced it like they have in the past. Im not a snake, I follow the rules that the SCTA put in to place, but I guess some dont. Anyways, we had a great time and ran our all time fastest in round 1. thanks for listening, sorry for the rant, see you guys in Nov.

I never stopped at Pre Stage to see what was going on, but if Pre Stage was like you say, this really needs to be brought up at the SCTA meeting this Friday night. Members who follow the rules don't need this kind of behavior from fellow members who don't. Why wasn't the Race Director called to correct the situation?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 12:10:18 AM »
This was sent to me by another member in a PM I think it could work, we have plenty of room? And I cleaned it up a little to protect others :-o :-o

What some other forms of racing do is have multiple lanes, marked at the entrance and front:
pre stage lanes
1) 1-24   100-124
2) 25-49   125-149
3) 50-74   150-174
4) 75-99   175-up

when 1-24 is empty 100-124 can fill the gap. It could be first come as long as your in the right line in the right round.

You can get into your lane whenever you feel like to.  But you must be in your correct lane.   Anyone can tell the run status by which lane is low.  No need to freakin guess

What about the 200mph lane...?

Offline mkilger

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:02 AM »
other video of new comp coupe 
http://youtu.be/r5cGyadv9BU

Offline roadsterswap

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »
Sounds simple but the kings and queens will want to pick their lanes! It would be Un-American to tell them where to go. But they can tell others where to go and where to put it all the time. Its the American way. Lets have a lottery system for each round. The top 10 are the exception. If they dont want to run early they join the pool. Computer generated based upon entry numbers. Random selection. No hands from friends and supporters involved.

Oh and another thing..........Lets make rules for when to call/END an event. Say a cross wind of so many degrees, at such and such a MPH. etc..........NOT from listening to  a competitor saying how bad the conditions are because they just had a hard time making it down the track. What a hero!  Now I am sure I will be told how much thought and deliberation went into the decision to call the event. Everyone licked their fingers at the same time and held it up in the air and it was unanimous. These decisions are not made lightly etc. blah blah blah. I feel so much safer now. Prove to me that the conditions were worse at the end of the day than the middle of the day. Show me. Prove it. I don't believe it. I am done. good night this is my last I am sure you are all thankful. Think about it.

Offline roadsterswap

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »
There should be NO 200 mph lane. What about a 50 mph lane? What makes a 200 mph lane more important than the person needing to go 50mph? Big fat cars destroy tracks. Not little and light and underpowered. Make all the track destroying cars use the same lane and they can drive in each of their own trenches. They would have to stay off the more environmentally sensitive lanes for the "slower" less "important" vehicles.
I guess i lied.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 01:21:01 AM »
There should be NO 200 mph lane. What about a 50 mph lane? What makes a 200 mph lane more important than the person needing to go 50mph? Big fat cars destroy tracks. Not little and light and underpowered. Make all the track destroying cars use the same lane and they can drive in each of their own trenches. They would have to stay off the more environmentally sensitive lanes for the "slower" less "important" vehicles.
I guess i lied.

Tim,

Racers and spectators don't drive hundreds or thousands of miles to come watch vehicles running slower than they did on the way to the event. :roll:

It's call Land SPEED Racing not low speed racers...the money, attendance, support is for faster vehicles..ever been to an NHRA event and watch the fans walk away when the top fuel funny cars and top fuel dragsters are running?...no...they run to the stands to watch 300+mph speeds

I have witnessed slower vehicles running and setting more records when the track was in bad shape than those that run 200 plus.  I am 100 percent positive that more racers have lost their lives in pursuit of records over 200 mph than those running at lower speeds.. Ask Jack :cry:

I was the last person to run this weekend at El Mirage, my time slip shows a 26 mph wind/gust..I notified one of the SCTA officials however they had already put the course on hold due to wind.

Offline jl222

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:54 AM »
I guess i lied.

Roadsterswap... The 200 mph lane was taken away several years ago, around 1997'' then after watching
Scotty's Muffler's roadster attempting to drive thru the marbles and in the interrest of safety it was reinstated.

A light under powered car is a hell of a lot easier and safer to drive on a loose track than a high hp car.

Every one talks about how the high hp cars tear up the track but I have NEVER seen any officials follow a fast car and study the conditions.

The one chance I had was when on course duty the Swain Bros-Helash-and Hoover [still record holder 280.552
1994] veared off course hid a cone and shut off.
 There was track marks about 4'' wide the track was NOT torn up from tire spin BUT there was pieces of dirt
[ called marbles, but more pea size] cast in its wake as if someone was sowing seed.

This is caused by the race cars vacuuming up dirt up from the cracks from the polygon surface and can be caused by slow or fast cars. Once this happens cars can start to spin and tear up the track, and sometimes the track starts out bad [ mostly bad from lack of a good wet winter lately]

If the 200 lane is outlawed, nobody in there right mind would attemp to go fast at El Mirage.

We will not run the 222 Camaro unless there is a tight track and out of the 200 mile lane.
  If there is no 200 mile lane there is no use in us [and others] belonging to the SCTA or a club.

JL222

P.S. how was the course Sunday?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »

JL222

I'm one of the very slow runners.  Usually the timer stands at the lights and hands me my timing slip as I cruise by.  Plus I get a closer look at the course than most.  The course on Sunday was amazing.  I ran late in the first round and it was still in great condition.  I tend to run up the right side and for the past few years I spend my time looking for good dirt or running between car tracks in an effort to find good dirt.  But yesterday the dirt was terrific.

But I am curious to know why you would stop racing if there was no 200 line?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 02:09:47 AM »
Course was a bit Green however good..Pat Womack smoked me in the same class we were both in and he got top time for the bikes!  :cheers:

My bikes are 200 lane legal in three engine classes and also in faired and unfaired, we are only running this season to get a good lane position (run number) for next season...we would not have a change of running 250+ mph without a good running position that we have earned in the previous season.  Slower running cars and bikes running under 175 can run very close to the same speeds on a mediocore course versus the faster bikes and cars that we love to watch making phenominal top speed runs.

J

Offline jl222

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 02:20:19 AM »

JL222

I'm one of the very slow runners.  Usually the timer stands at the lights and hands me my timing slip as I cruise by.  Plus I get a closer look at the course than most.  The course on Sunday was amazing.  I ran late in the first round and it was still in great condition.  I tend to run up the right side and for the past few years I spend my time looking for good dirt or running between car tracks in an effort to find good dirt.  But yesterday the dirt was terrific.

But I am curious to know why you would stop racing if there was no 200 line?

Nortonist... The 222 Camaro has held the AA blown gas altered record ''229+'' since 1990 when the tracks were good :-D
  We now put out 800-1000 hp more, when we hit the marbles [ Troy drives at El Mifage''] the car spins the tires
and wants to spin out We have one video and data logging were Troy had a speed of 152 mph in 10.5 sec, as soon as he hit the marbles it broke loose and started to spin but thanks to quick reflexes and busy steering he saved it.

Starting at the back of the pack with a car like this would be a complete waste of time and money for me and others.

75 entries, the fast guys are staying away now because of conditions, take away  the 200 mile lane and it will be even less.

JL222

Offline roadsterswap

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 02:52:15 AM »

Tim,

Racers and spectators don't drive hundreds or thousands of miles to come watch vehicles running slower than they did on the way to the event. :roll:

It's call Land SPEED Racing not low speed racers...the money, attendance, support is for faster vehicles..ever been to an NHRA event and watch the fans walk away when the top fuel funny cars and top fuel dragsters are running?...no...they run to the stands to watch 300+mph speeds

I have witnessed slower vehicles running and setting more records when the track was in bad shape than those that run 200 plus.  I am 100 percent positive that more racers have lost their lives in pursuit of records over 200 mph than those running at lower speeds.. Ask Jack :cry:

I was the last person to run this weekend at El Mirage, my time slip shows a 26 mph wind/gust..I notified one of the SCTA officials however they had already put the course on hold due to wind.
[/quote]

John,

First of all you are delusional if you think this is a spectator sport. If it was, there would be TV coverage and big sponsorship, and decals, and girls, and kids, and toys, and condos and bleachers and beer vendors and peanuts and popcorn and more Speed Demons and less "slow guys" and rules and rules and rules and...and and....... If you think people drive, however far, to just watch fast cars, you  have missed many elements of our culture.  If this were true then the Cook event would be HUGE! ALL the fast cars and big boys and girls with there toys. In fact it is just the opposite. People come to experience the culture and the life and the commitment. This is not JUST about speed. Many people do NOT care how fast the rich guy goes in his million dollar car or motorcycle. The hero is not always the fast guy (with the exception of the Markley Bros, Ronnie Benham, Burklands and Al Teague);) The majority of those who come to spectate, come to see the people who built their cars on their own, who are out there having fun and who are accomplishing things with their own determination, passion and will power. There was more interest in the little Subaru 600 that was hand built with love and care by an individual than there was in the biggest fastest roadster or turbo charged factory store bought motorcycle.
They did not care that it went only 50 mph, they were excited it was there. It was the accomplishment of one individual fulfilling a dream, rather than a rich guy buying his ride. The speed is not the only story to this game nor will it ever be. Go to the all you can eat crab feed, and ask the person sitting across from you, who you have never met, if they know what the 2 club or 3 chapter is or even if they heard of Bonneville, before the Worlds Fastest Indian, and most will just ask you to pass a napkin!? 2 club? 3 chapter, what the f. Legends in our own minds is what we are.
Are you also saying that a care like Mcleash's spitfire that is KILLING the points race  is hurting our spectators and sponsor ship potential because they are not blown top fuel 6000lb vehicles that the all knowing, and all seeing crowds would prefer to watch? Ban slow cars and modify the points chase rules so that only the fast cars can win? Gawd forbid that a Crosly or a Bantam, or a Subaru or a Spitfire that cannot go over 200 mph is the season champion for the SCTA! There goes the price of my condo in Adelanto!

The NHRA is not the SCTA. Again the people at our events run to the cars an individual built. Something with personality and creativity and function. Not something fast and bought. Those things have their place but if you think SCTA should be like the NHRA well good luck with that one. I hope you have a lot of fun. I would love to see a blown Hemi in your Suzuki.

Your comment about cars getting records on poor tracks does not make it right to keep the tracks in poor condition from other destructive sources. I have also seen cars and bikes getting  records on nice smooth  tracks. NO 200 lane in the dirt. Why? Because you earn the right? I Don't get it.

Your reference to more people dying trying to go over 200 and reference to a personal friend and team member is very out of line. It is not part of the conversation. Please stop exploiting your knowledge and personal experience of that situation in an attempt to make a point.

You made a run with a  cross wind and survived. You notified the officials. WHOEVER IT MAY BE listened to you. They even announced what a big hero you were by keeping all of the racers safe. "Always looking out for his fellow racers". So my point is, there should be rules as to when to call an event. Not a random speculation and report. The last thing a race committee should do, is listen to competitors about how to run an event or when to end an event. These contingencies should be planned in advance by the race directors.
  I am sure the other timing slips reported wind extremes. As far as I know, the slips do not differentiate between gust or constant wind.  You may have felt it on the bike with a big side exposure as most bike guys say how sensitive they are to winds, and many, as of course you know better than anyone, or most, will not ride if it is too windy and they have there own personal preferences when to run or not based on the wind velocity and angle.
So what a guy in the dirt may have experienced is mistrust and miscommunication between racers, the race board and the intentions and politics of an event. I am glad to be an American and express myself no matter how right or wrong I am, in my opinion and of course in the eyes of others! "Viva La Evolution".

Offline roadsterswap

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 09:35:21 AM »
"If the 200 lane is outlawed, nobody in there right mind would attemp to go fast at El Mirage."  Have to love that thought. How do you think you got to run in that lane? You ran in the other lanes to get there.......

"We will not run the 222 Camaro unless there is a tight track and out of the 200 mile lane.
  If there is no 200 mile lane there is no use in us [and others] belonging to the SCTA or a club."

If there were no SCTA you would not be driving your car in the dirt.
So if your lane is so much safer, and I have my vehicle geared up for 200, then I should get to go in that lane right? IT is the only safe spot on the course, and our Job number one in the SCTA is safety, right?

Every one is using all parts of the course after the few hundred feet after push off. Just watch a run. Noonan may start on the Left side but he will pick the part of the course he thinks is smoother. I have seen many vehicles and bikes start on the left and run down the right side of the course, or the middle.

Look at the track after any blown heavy high horse power car has run and compare it to a track made by a light vehicle. You dont need an official to "See" the problem. Denial is a great survival tool for awhile.

Why should a person who is number 20 in points, who has a history of going 200, and has not run 200 all season, get to run in the "2" lane. They get to jump ahead of the line of others who actually have earned a better starting position.

As I recall it was noted in the rule book or somewhere as the lane for "streamliners" not 200 mph vehicles.

Now I am done. I hate this crap.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »
It's not the "200 mph lane" it's  "Lane 1" for vehicles running 200+ mph.
El Mirage results never give every run. I looked at the May results. 117 entries, 117 runs listed. 12 over 200. That gives them an advantage of a shorter line and running before someone in the other lane with a lower run number.
Since that is inherently unfair, take it to the SCTA board and have them release vehicles in Lane 1 based on the clearly written run number on the push truck windshield.

This rant got side tracked to the 200 mph vehicles. The real problem is control at the entrance to the staging lanes.
Bark at the SCTA board and come up with a better method of control, or enforce the existing rules. And control is the problem.

3. Line Stewards
To assist the line steward and orderly lineup by participants, all race vehicles shall indicate their start
position number either on the race vehicle or push vehicle windshield. This is best done using a white
shoe polish which is available at the registration trailer. Please be sure to draw a circle around the start
number. Push vehicles should also have race vehicle number indicated on windshield.
4. Position and Placement Disputes
All such disputes will be resolved as they occur by the Starting Line Stewards.
Your problem is the line stewards are not doing their job. You raced to get that low run number, bitch about it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.