Author Topic: speedweek logistics - help needed please  (Read 8838 times)

Swift33

speedweek logistics - help needed please
« on: September 13, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »
Hi , this is my first time on the forum  , so a quick intro , im Stuart Swift , live in the UK and i am currently preparing my bike for 2013 speedweek to coincide with my 50th birthday (well i'll be 50 in 2013 anyway)
I recently lost both my parents and was left a small amount of money , enough to fullfill a dream...........to take me and my bike to Bonneville!

I have many questions , so please be patient if they have been asked before.

My main concern at the moment is regarding logistics and i have been pointed to the forum by Dan Warner.

I have found a company in the UK who will ship out my bike ahead of me , but where exactly would i send it ? Is there a holding compound or storage facility that is used for speedweek ?

Next , what sort of transportation would suit my needs best to enable me to transport me and my bike. Do the vehicles stay on the salt flats during speedweek?

I'll just keep it to 2 questions for know , i'm sure they will be lots more.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

many thanks , Swift33 (stu)

Offline RichFox

Re: speedweek logistics - help needed please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
Perhaps someone in the Salt Lake area or even Wendover will allow you to ship to them. You should have a pickup and at least one crew member to get you and the bike and trailer it back after a run. You will need a tarp to park on in the pits and anything else (tools, shade, fluids) with you on the salt. Or maybe someone will welcome you into their pit. You may, and I do, leave your bike on the salt overnight. I expect you will get offers of assistance here soon

Offline edweldon

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
Stu - I see Rich Fox posted some good general comments.  Read his before you get into the specifics that I've written below.
I think we should get you up to speed on the realities of Speedweek operations protocols.  First off no matter how well your bike is prepared for street use from the time that you register it as a competitor till the time that the event is officially over you may not drive it under power anywhere on the Salt.  That means that for all intents and purposes you will need at least one helper move the bike to the starting line up and get you back to the pits after your run on the course is finished.   To that end finding someone here in the USA to be that helper and also help with the logistics on this end is a sensible strategy.
But if you don't succeed in that endeavor and have to go it alone at least until you arrive in the USA the most obvious place to send the bike is to Salt Lake City.  We have lots of racers who live in that area and can likely direct you to the best entity to ship your bike to and hold it for pickup.  Even a common carrier like UPS might be able to do that working in conjunction with one of your UK carriers.
But then having uncrated your bike in the US how are you going to get it to the meet.  Obviouslyyou won't be able to put it in a sedan unless it is one of the very small types that can be easily disassembled and packed in small carrying cases. (That's been done already)  So you are faced with renting a van or car that can tow a trailer that you rent.  There may be some serious obstacles to renting a suitable vehicle if you attempt that in Salt Lake City since most of the established rental outfits there do not like to rent vehicles for any off road use, especially on the Salt Flats, which leaves them with a big cleanup job for their next rental.  Further, you will have a hard time renting someting like a U-haul truck or Vanif they have a hint that your destination is the Salt flats.  Rental of a suitable small RV with some capability for carrying the bike may be the best approach.For the moment I'll defer to others with more experience transporting their race bikes to comment further on how to make that work.
So it may turn out that shipping to another city in Nevada or California might have to be considered leaving you with the need to add 2 or 3 days to your trip to enjoy the bleak scenery of the western deserts. 

Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
While I can't speak for him, I suggest you try contacting the Mayor of Wendover, UT (guys - help me with his name here).  He runs the auto parts store in town and is a car guy and VERY helpful.  He may allow you to ship to the store or at least suggest a place.

I agree that a US helper will be critical and I'm sure that someone will chime in here.  Slim - any ideas?  I'm a car guy and full-time volunteer and therefore officially useless for you.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
Hi Stuart.  Welcome to the addiction.  I don't have a lot of info on shipping a bike to the salt.  But Lars Nielsen from Denmark ships his bike on a (fairly) regular basis.  Plus Briz and Desperate are in your part of the world and I'm sure can supply valuable info.  You can PM them through this site.  Lars usually rents a pick up or transporting his bike.

You will need a "crew" to chase you and bring you back to the pits.  As has been said no riding a race bike on the salt except for making a run.  But the good news on that part is that there are no strangers on the salt.  If you are stuck for a crew just ask.  There will always be someone more than willing to help you.  Last year when Lars arrived he was on his own.  Joe had a truck.  I had a trailer and we became his crew.  No problem.  God willing I'll be there next year so if you need a crew you got one.

You can leave you bike and stuff on the salt.  No problem.  Seems land speed racers are disgustingly honest.  No camping on the salt but you can camp at the bend or a couple of other places.  Plus you will usually find a room in Wendover.  This I had a friend from Denmark visit the salt as part of a three week vacation.  He had no room booked but found one on the day.

But what ever you do don't let logistics stop you from coming over the the only place to be in the world in August.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
Starting on the home page of the site you can find your way, via the Tech & FAQ button, to a dissertation on importing a foreign-titled race vehicle to the US.  As I remember it was written by the Australians, so you may have to read the document upside down or from bottom to top, but it does contain lots of information on the legal technicalities of getting a race vehicle here - in re: the paperwork.

Many racers have shipped race bikes from the UK and other European locations, so there should be a good batch of information availalbe directly from them.  The mayor of Wendover, for the Record, is Mike Crawford.  He's the owner and operator of the Carquest auto parts store there, too, and while he has lots of room that he offers to help racers - it would be a fine idea to ask him if he's available to receive stuff for you BEFORE you ship it to him.  I don't have his phone number -- but it is available by searching for Carquest in Wendover, Utah (NOT West Wendover, Nevada).

We all look forward to seeing you here next year.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
Off the net, but the info Slim mentioned is the voice of experience:

Cars Imported for Other Purposes
Nonresidents may import an automobile or motorcycle and its usual equipment free of duty for a temporary stay to take part in races or other specific purposes. However, prior written approval from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is required and such approval is granted only to those racing vehicles that EPA deems not capable of safe or practical use on streets and highways. If the contests are for other than money purposes, the vehicle may be admitted for 90 days without formal entry or bond if the Customs officer is satisfied as to the importer's identity and good faith. The vehicle becomes subject to forfeiture if it is not exported or if a bond is not given within 90 days of its importation. Prior written approval must be obtained from DOT. A vehicle may be temporarily imported for testing, demonstration, or racing purposes. A vehicle may be permanently imported for show or display. Written approval from DOT is required and should be obtained before the vehicle is exported from the foreign country to the U.S. Information on how to import a vehicle under show or display is available at DOT’s NHTSA Vehicle Importation Regulations website. A vehicle permanently imported for show and display must comply with all U.S. emission requirements as well, and in general must be imported through an EPA-authorized ICI for modification and testing. EPA will not allow the vehicle to be released to its owner until ICI work is complete.

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 06:05:01 PM »
Moxnix is right; EPA exemption is required for importing any non street legal vehicle. Good news, its free. Bad news, its a PITA. John LaCroix is the EPA man to email: LaCroix.John@epamail.epa.gov Dont expect him to be at all friendly.
Everyone else is right too. You'll need a van or truck. And someone to crew for you. You'll find almost everyone you know will want to come along when they hear of your plans! In the end someone most likely will.
We (6 bike teams) got together this year and shared a 20ft container which landed at Long Beach. We rented vans and drove up to the salt. 2 weeks van hire in LA cost $1200.
Next year only one of our bunch are going back (the rest of us will return in 2014). These guys:
Steve French & Dave Branch: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,11213.0.html
Sumo is also planning to go over next year with his double Panther:
Sumo: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8029.0.html
You might want to contact them.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
Or, as one chap did this year, I believe, take it apart and ship individual packages to yourself or someone over here, assemble and find transport, a helper and Bob's your uncle.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Swift33

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
guys , thanks for a fast and very usefull info.

i did'nt realise i needed a crew or that once registered you can only run on the salt , i should imagine the runs may be limited due to the amounts of enties , which may give me a problem with set up (bike is a 2 stroke with carbs !!)

this gives me a lot to think about , one things for sure is that i will be coming , i need to decide when the time is right.

please keep the feedback coming , oh , the bike will be road legal when shipped over.

thanks , stu  (swift33 )

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:35 PM »
Starting out you will be on course 4 doing rookie orientation. Running there or if you move up to course 3 you will have time for many runs. 2 or 3 days into the meet and the lines are already thinning out.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »
Yes. If you stay the week and weather cooperates, you can wear the thing out running

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »
We had very short wait times this year (and last year too).  Spent more time waiting for record return runs.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline pofg

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
Stu,
There is quite a contingent of us Brits that come out each year. I would try and get in touch with Steve French (you'll find him on Facebook) as he is a fellow biker and they do put a container together for Brit bikers I think. Then rent vans in California, collect bikes from the port and drive them out.
As for more information, there is going to be a big documentary about the Brit crews at Speedweek 2012 on BBC2 after Top Gear in Jan 2013 so look our for that... it'll answer many of your questions I hope.
Cheers
Rick

#1133 Flower of Scotland
Grazing the Gravel Trap of Insanity.

#1133 Flower of Scotland.

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »
There, that is the answer I was going to post. I am sure there will a group from the UK coming over to the colonies. You can link up them and utilize their experience and combined efforts to aid yours.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth