Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 289894 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
A basic question.  Is is best to run cars and bikes with enhanced induction in the afternoon when it is hot and the air is thinner and makes less aero drag?  It seems that the lack of intake charge density from the hot air could be compensated by increasing the boost, unlike with a NA motor.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2012, 10:10:37 PM »
The mid day heat causes the moisture to surface and cause loss of traction, most like to run early or late in the day.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2012, 10:30:10 PM »
Ray's got most of the story right - and the rest of you are closing in on the true scoop, too.  About the only thing worth clarifying is that sunrise (per se) is about 7.15AM MDT, and we can guess that it'll be light enough to race sometime about 7.30 or 7.45.  Or so.  When Mike Cook was going through the meeting he asked if there were any particular requests -- like "who wants to run first?".  Well, what he really said was "Who wants to run first, RON?!" as he looked at Ron Main.  Main is well-known for wanting to get racing as soon as the track is open.

By the way, the bike racers from down under are Kim Krebs (forgive me if I've got her name misspelled) and Greg Watters.  They were here at WoS and stayed over for this event.  Rocky Robinson has just posted a long note on his Facebook page telling why he's not going to run this year.  Get over there (assuming you can - I use Nancy's FB page to get into that stuff) and see what he's got to say.  I'll ask him to copy his post to here.  He talks about Sam Wheeler and Gabriel Uttley - and gives some interesting background.

So - look for the Poteet and Main team to be on the salt at o'dark o'clock, prepping the car for a run.  The car is absolutely ready right now -- just needs the ice added and so on.  I figure they'll head towards the Floating Island end of the track by 7 or so - and then, once they're at that location - wait for the sun to lighten the track enough to race and maybe the wind, if there is any, to be proper for racing.

But - but - but --- FIM Charlie, a/k/a Charles Hennekam, was introduced as the guy that'll be on site to not only officiate for the bikes - but also the cars.  I'm not sure about that being correct -- I thought Dave Petrali, of USAC, was the FIA representative on site, but that's not the way Mike Cook explained it.  And Charlie isn't expected to be on the salt 'til morning, and - if he is the FIA rep - then no cars can run until he's there.  And I don't have any clues as to when he's going to arrive.

So therefore I say unto you -- we don't know when things will start happening, either.  All I can do is tell you to plan on being near your computer by 7.30 or so MDT and start clicking the refresh button.  Nancy and I will be taking notes and making posts.  'Til tomorrow, then, hokey-dokey?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:32:59 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »
By the way, due to the nature of this event -- we will not be doing live audio streaming.  There are too many long periods -- sometimes hours long - of nothing followed by a short time of frantic activity.  It'd be hard for anyone to get much of interest without being really danged lucky - so we'll feature the usual style of printed updates and refreshes.  Audio will return for World Finals - and that's a promise.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »
Really appreciate you guys reporting from the salt, Slim, for us poor slobs that had to stay home.
Donation sent.

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Tman

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
Thanks Slim!

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 01:47:46 AM »
(taken from my FB page at the request of SSS)
Sorry to announce that The Top 1 Ack Attack team will not be competing at this year's Shootout. Track conditions have been less than ideal, and we heard that tomorrow they are starting 1 mile in from the start since the first mile of salt is too wet to run on. It was a difficult decision, but Mike Akatiff and myself discussed it after making 2 trips to the salt to see the course first hand. The shortened length and bumpy conditions would prove difficult for our two-wheeled 1,000 horsepower streamliner to get the power to the ground and exceed 400 mph safely. We will continue our attempt when the Shootout returns hopefully with better conditions. We've decided to wait for next season, which may be the biggest yet, with Sam Wheeler's new streamliner, Richard "Rocket Man" Brown's jet powered motorcycle streamliner, Gabriel Uttley's Angelic Bulldog twin engine motorcycle streamliner, another new entry that is actually at the Shootout this year (another Hayabusa powered streamliner) and the Top 1 Ack Attack. It should be the biggest motorcycle streamliner shootout in history, with at least one filmaker interested in sharing it on the big screen. Hate to miss running this year but we feel it is the right choice for all involved. Thank you to everyone who has been following us, and for your support over the years.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2012, 07:22:38 AM »
It's not the Raspberry Rocket, but rather Jim Knaap's Barnyard Bearcat, with three GSXR 1000's.  All three cars are FIA Category A (special construction).   The Poteet & Main Speed Demon is the only one of the three in Group I (with supercharger). 

Jim Knaap's Barnyard Bearcat is also Group II, but in the 2 to 3 liter Class 8.  The records there are currently held by Speed Demon (without the turbo) at 250.917 in the km and 250.853 in the mile.

<snip>

The way I understand it, the Poteet & Main Speed Demon is first in line for tomorrow's runs (starting as soon as it's light enough to see) to be followed by the bikes, then the other cars.

Thanks for the catch.  I don't know why, but I always seem to get those 2 (Bearcat & Rocket) confused.  Duh.  Jim Knaap said he's shooting first for the record, then for 300.  I got my fingers crossed for him.

re: Speed Demon.  Yes.  First run, as soon as it's light enough to sun (probably 7:30 at the earliest) and then I'm not sure who/what.  The battle plan is always the fist casualty of any war, victim of the first shot.

I better get showered and ready to get out there.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »
Rocky, I think everyone respects your decision. Very good choice and safety always has to be first. Looking forward to next year and as you stated it should be a very good meet.
Good morning to you Ray and Slim. And thanks for keeping us informed on this meet. Looking forward to your reporting.
Mark.

Offline hutchamatic

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2012, 09:09:03 AM »
Looking forward to hearing the results of Speed Demon this morn. The little ole 300 is tough. Should run with no prob.
Team Speed Demon

Offline SLCMike

• New folks
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »
Mr TheRat, keep me up on what going on out there, Thanks. SLCMike!

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
So are they prepping, towing to mountains end, already at MTNs end??????? How long of a usable course do they have if they moved the mile down due to water. Is it a 5 mile runup? I saw somewhere that is would be 5.5 to 6.5 so does that mean going towards mountain they have more runup then coming towards roads end?

Jon

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
First things first - nope, they aren't running yet.  It's about a quarter 'til eight -- and the Speed Demon isn't ready.  It's still in the pit and the bodywork isn't all on the car.  In other words -- the earliest run won't be 'til maybe 8.30 - maybe not then.  Once the car and crew heads to the north end of the course I'll send a wake up notice to you folks.  In the meantime -- go back to watching your Saturday morning cartoons or reruns of Bewitched.  I'll post this and then continue.

As for the course -- no, those measurements weren't correct as reported, Jon.  The pits are just about the same place as last year - and before.  We're down here within a few hundred yards of the freeway, and the course starts down here.  It's in good shape , too, with the only wet spots that little bit from here to the dike and the highway.  The underground river continues to be a bit of an issue, seeing that it's still just a tad soft and a bit of a bump.,  And when a car under high acceleration hits it there's going to be not only the stress to the driveline -- but an ever-increasingly bad spot dug up for the next run.  But that's a half-mile from the pit.  I know we could start things on the other side of the river -- but then we'll lose that half-mile of acceleration run.  I guess we'll find out what the Poteet and Main strategy (in re: the river) is once they try making a return run.  

So the course is fully 11 miles long - with the measured stretch(es) in the center.  Minor new stuff for this year is that the entrance to the measured mile is marked with a pair of wide blue lines running across the course -- so the rider/driver will have more visual clues that he's in the timed parts.  The blue lines are new, and there are also a pair of black "flags" on the side of the course to mark the beginning/end of the stretch.  Post and continue.

All of the drivers/riders have been told that they should have "eyes left" while running the course.  That is -- the mile markers are set up on the left side - in both directions.  No need to read them and subtract ("Unh, let's see, that one says 8, and I'm running a return run, so it really means 3").  At the end of the timed mile there are a pair of black markers, side by each (so to speak), denoting that the timed stretch is past, and they complement the blue lines.  The tower is set up on the east side of the course - right smack in the middle of the timed stretch.

Interrupt yourself, Slim -- Land's End Lynda reports that FIM Charlie has arrived and is proceeding to the pit area.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:58:30 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
Mike Cook reminded me this morning of the plan to have the bikes use a Top 1 Oil tent/awning, set up about the 2 mile, as the marshaling area for the bikes.  They'll gather there and wait 'til they're all ready to run, then run, one at a time, 'til all of 'em have made their down run.  If any have qualified they'll prep and return during the two hour window, riding back all the way to the pits.

And that's enough for right now.  Rice & Vigeant is up on jacks, Barnyard Bearcat is still in the trailer, bike pits (across the course from us here at LR.com HQ) are full of activity but no engines are running, and so I'll take a few minutes to drop our trailer and get the pit bike out and ready to patrol the pits prior to runs.  C U Soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
99 bottles of beer on the wall
99 bottles of beer
if one of those bottles happens to fall

refresh

98 bottles of beer on the wall
98 bottles of beer
if one of those bottles happens to fall

refresh
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.