Author Topic: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012  (Read 289874 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: COOK'S SHOOTOUT 2012
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 08:59:47 AM »
Okay - let's see if I can get this done and still get to the Blues Fest on time.

Taming the Bonneville Salt
by Ron Main
[A true story of working men and machines and one week of hard work to prepare over 12 miles of good salt]  

This shot is a glimpse of what might be -- with lots of work:

When we arrived at Bonneville the first 1/4 mile was horrible with 3/8 inch bucked crust over soft dirt
All along highway 80.

We started to wheel pack and drag the the loose salt shale and turned it into flats as we know it in about 8 hours.

This is Mile zero on the right it has been dragged but not yet wheel packed, with the center untouched and the right side is finished.

Then the problem , about 1/4 mile from I-80 we encountered something we had never seen before a pot holed surface and the pot holes were up to 2" deep and the salt was as hard as concrete the drags could not touch this surface it was like some chemicals was spilled out hear and created this granite like salt.It ran in a band about 11/2 wide along I-80.

The gear tooth cutter with 1/4 "teeth was added to scratch the concrete like salt to bring up the "Fines" powder to fill and level the salt flats.
Dennis Manning told me you live and die with the Fines.

With the gear tooth strip welded on the drag we also had to put a 3,000 lb. The water container on top the drag to cut and smooth the salt out and fill the pot holes which after two days of dragging, it was starting to look like the Bonneville Salt Flats race course again.

You can see the pot holes on the left and see the progress on the right

Tons of passes on each side only the middle to go.

The course is finally getting better

Ron and his wheel packing buddy

The Shootout is now set for racing history

If you have any questions or need information

Call Ron Main (818) 523-7005

Email rmain@canogarebar.com

Special Thanks to Mike Cook, Denis Manning and Dan Nelson

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »
...WOW......looks to me like this team....has a Hot Rodding Spirit....that wont be denied....!!!!

simply phenomenal....

Offline Tman

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
Wow, all the man-hours spent to put on all the events in a single year is staggering!

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »
I agree Trent. So many people think that the track is just there for the running. While I missed this latest adventure by Ron Main, I have been involved with many of the prep trips over the years. I would not trade a minute of it for anything.

I was with Mike Cook in July for the initial work done on the International course and know the state of the miles when we left. Not at all encouraging. Ron called me several times from the salt for support when he was getting a little defeated.

Job well done by Ron, Mike and the others involved.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
What a Wonderful testimony to finding a cure for our addiction.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline joea

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
some find excuses...some find a way...

ie..Cook Team...SCTA...Ron Main/Poteet Team...USFRA...BUB/Manning.....Richard Noble Brit Team...Costella/Yacoucci and so very
many others in LSR........

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/latest_news.cfm?widCall1=customWidgets.contentItem_show_1&cit_id=5437
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:03:28 PM by joea »

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
some find excuses...some find a way...

ie..Cook Team...SCTA...Ron Main/Poteet Team...USFRA...BUB/Manning.....Richard Noble Brit Team...Costella/Yacoucci and so very
many others in LSR........

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/news/latest_news.cfm?widCall1=customWidgets.contentItem_show_1&cit_id=5437

holee chit!

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 04:11:14 PM »
Northern Utah and the salt flats got pounded with severe thunder storms and rain last night and are getting more even as I type this post.  Would'nt this be a good thing for the newly reworked international course, assuming some hot dry weather follows?

RCKirby

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
Is it true that the Poteet/Main Wheel Packer hold the World's Record in it's class?  I'm guessing somewhere north of 400 (that's ft/hr).

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
If the track is good enough for the speed demon and the other teams to run on then why is it not good enough for the ACK Attack to run on.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:44:04 PM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline joea

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
racefan...cuz their not same vehicles...:)...seriously though...alot of truth to that...Rocky and crew
know what undulating turf is doable for them...and their single track vehicle with its chassis limitations...

my guess is that....there is still a chance for Ack and crew to re-evaluate as the conditions change...:)..

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
RCKirby

Northern Utah and the salt flats got pounded with severe thunder storms and rain last night and are getting more even as I type this post.  Would'nt this be a good thing for the newly reworked international course, assuming some hot dry weather follows?

According to the storm total rainfall map on the weather service web page the area of wendover got between 0.1 and 1 inch of rain in this recent storm passage. Most of the 1 inch stuff appears to have been south of I80 but looks like some of it crossed the highway.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=mtx&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Wendover port of entry weather cam looking south west back toward wendover, shows puddles of standing water  but sunny right now.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/WendoverPOE.php

Loop of weather cam shots shows rain passed through about 3 pm.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/images/slc/camera/loopCams.php?camName=envpoe&numFrames=10

Larry
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 06:42:50 PM by hotrod »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
RCKirby

Northern Utah and the salt flats got pounded with severe thunder storms and rain last night and are getting more even as I type this post.  Would'nt this be a good thing for the newly reworked international course, assuming some hot dry weather follows?

According to the storm total rainfall map on the weather service web page the area of wendover got between 0.1 and 1 inch of rain in this recent storm passage. Most of the 1 inch stuff appears to have been south of I80 but looks like some of it crossed the highway.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=mtx&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Wendover port of entry weather cam looking south west back toward wendover, shows puddles of standing water  but sunny right now.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/WendoverPOE.php

Loop of weather cam shots shows rain passed through about 3 pm.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/images/slc/camera/loopCams.php?camName=envpoe&numFrames=10

Larry

Amazing.  You shoulda been in my garage about 6 pm yesterday.  We had some very interesting weather 120 miles (roughly) east of the salt:

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
Yep there was a severe thunderstorm watch box up for your area.
Looks like the weather service got it right!

At least it was small hail.

Larry

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
  Dan W., when pumping occurs, does it cover the entire area of all the different (FIA, SCTA/BNI, USFRA) courses or are there areas left to Mother Nature?
   And thanx to Ron Main and everyone else who have and do contribute to maintaining the Salt and preparing the surface which must be about as much fun as herding Cat's.
                                                                     Bob
Bob Drury