Author Topic: FILTERS-FILTERS-FILTERS  (Read 9977 times)

Offline salt27

Re: FILTERS-FILTERS-FILTERS
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 01:36:16 AM »

Filters have always had about automotive filters and they have a very little to do with the actual filtering ability of the filter.

Spambot, get'im Jon.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:39:38 AM by salt27 »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 12:44:53 PM »
I have found particles trapped in filter

1 micron = 1 millionth of a meter = 4 millionths of an inch.

It's not the parts you can see. Any automotive filter will trap the birds and rocks.

The small particles in the micron range act as a fine polishing compound. If you can even imagine putting polishing compound in the engine then the price of the filter is nothing. Yes, your oil/filter budget can run some money, but nothing close to the price of a worn out or blown engine.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 09:23:52 AM »
Rex
You say paper automotive filters are junk, but in looking through the different filter sites it looks like the finest without cellulose (paper ?) is 10 microns. In your opinion or anyone smarter than me, do you think 10 is fine enough or need to run cellulose?
Also any recomendations on suction-return side? Before or after pump, or both?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 01:53:52 AM »
Ron,
Present day state of the art hydraulic oil filters use very fine fiber glass strands, around 1 micron in diameter, they are combined into a matrix that is the level of filtration that you may want, 1 to 40 microns and then they go thru a process that joins them together at every spot that they touch each other. This makes a very strong filtering media that can be manufacturesd to filter particles from .2 to 40 microns, and the size of the channel that the oil goes thru is very consistent so the filter efficiency is very high. Good filters have a filtration efficiency of over 99% single pass which mean that a one micron rated filter will capture 99 out of a 100 1 micron particles in the first pass. Automotive filters which are mostly paper cannot get to that efficiency and they have very large strands so the flow efficiency is low, i.e. high pressure drop thru the filter. The military and modern hydraulics have not used paper elements for over 30 years. Paper elements do have a place as the paper will adsorb water so paper elements are used to remove some free water in oil.

I believe that the very best place for the most efficient filter is on the return line from the scavenger pump, assuming that you have a dry sump oiling system. This placement prevents contamination of the oil tank and provides clean oil to the pressure pump. You can also put a filter on the outlet of the high pressure pump just to protect the engine from contamination that enters the oil tank when you open it and pour in "new" oil, which is quite dirty.

I believe that a good fiber glass 10 micron element, high flow rated, would be best for any automotive application. If you want to read about real oil filtration technology go to the Pall Filter site and look at their information. They are the leader in filtration.

Rex

I
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jmooer

• New folks
  • 64 funny cars 71 ocir
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »
 REX Thank You for the tune up on oil filtration I will do just what you say grate post thanks again   Giant Jim

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »
Thanks Rex. Informative post. I'll do some more research.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
Rex, thanks a lot for the information.  I think many of us are very ignorant on filters and just use the standard paper automotive filter.  I certainly need to study this more and educate myself.

I looked up the Pall filters, here is the 7400 series filter link:
http://www.pall.com/hydraulic_3109.asp

And here is the 7500 series link:
http://www.pall.com/hydraulic_3107.asp
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com