Author Topic: limits,what limits?  (Read 7055 times)

Offline peglegcraig

limits,what limits?
« on: April 23, 2006, 07:53:09 PM »
Hello all, I'm new to LSR and want to know if it will be possible to participate. I want to ride a sidecar to a LSR record, however I am a bilateral above knee amputee. I lost my limbs 8 yrs ago at work and started riding an outfit then after 35 yrs on two wheels. Is there anything rule wise that would stop me from giving LSR a shot?

Offline hitz

limits,what limits?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:09:53 AM »
Craig,
  I'm not the one to say but have never read anything in the rule book that should stop you. If you have a driving license that should be a good start. Getting off the bike without restriction shouldn't be a problem. I'd call someone at the SCTA and ask for more information.

http://www.scta-bni.org/

Good luck! Hope to see you at Speed week 2006

Harv

Offline jimmy six

limits,what limits?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:56:30 AM »
I'm concered with the word "ride" in your inquiry. I believe that no passengers are allowed on side cars, or cars for that matter, at a BMI/SCTA sanctioned meet. I do not know about Bub meets. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

bak189

limits,what limits?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 02:05:52 PM »
The BUB meet WILL allow passengers in the sidecar this year or
132lbs (60kg) ballast in the chair
as per AMA/FIM rules.
However, I am sure it depents a lot on what type of sidecar outfit.....and what type of construction....it has to be a SAFE sidecar rig....and approved by the Tech people....sending a picture in with the entry will make it a lot easier for everyone involved.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Peg Leg Craig
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »
Let's look at Craig's question from a motorcycle-operator's viewpoint.  That is, he did say he "...wants to ride a sidecar...".  He might mean he wants to be the person at the controls -- after all, we ride bikes, we drive cars.

If this is the case, then instead of finding him a venue where a monkey is allowed -- someone needs to decide if a bilateral above knee amputee will be allowed to participate, perhaps by examining the rig to see if it has appropriate controls and modifications to let him be safe in case of incident -- and also to see if it still falls within the rules of his chosen class.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

limits,what limits?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 03:50:45 PM »
Heck we are talking about no legs, not arms... Why couldnt he pilot a sidecar safely.

I agree with JonW, I take this as he is riding and piloting the bike... Not as passenger..

If I guy should fall off or get thrown off a bike or sidecar at speed, it ends up in the same results doesnt it... And one of the safety items required is a lanyard to body in case of accident. Not an issue..

In fact if you look back to Ron Cooks accident, seems to me a guy with no legs is more safe then a guy with legs, as Ron Cooks leg got caught up and was dragged...

Give them hell and I sure hope they let you....

Jon

bak189

limits,what limits?
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:51:07 PM »
When I roadraced sidecars in Europe back in the 1960's, we had several sidecar drivers who were either single or double amputees....it was not a problem.  The FIM gave them a competion license, and they raced on the International Circuit all over Europe. So I would think that either SCTA/BNI and/or BUB would not have a problem as long as the outfit was safe. One way to find out is ASK!!!!!!!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
limits
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 04:56:47 PM »
I know of one driver that runs 200 mph with one arm, I think there are a few others with handicaps as well. There are a least two that are paraplegics that run high speeds a well.

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
limits,what limits?
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 10:26:59 PM »
Why should'nt he be allowed to run?  In the 60s in Europe there was a sidecar GP racer by the name of Heinz Luthringhauser.  He was an amputee and a damn good racer.  He raced a kneeler BMW and had a habit of grinding of the false leg during the race.  There is a classic shot of him on the podium at the TT with most of the false foot ground away.  For those not in the know it was a bit disconcerting.  As a paid up member of the SCTA I vote he be allowed to race.  Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline peglegcraig

limits,what limits?
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 11:17:27 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement, I wouldn't want to start working on this project if there was no support from members for it to proceed. Thanks to all who replied. See you in the pits soon.
 I'll start contacting the officials and pursue the licensing. I've got some work to do I'm sure. The reading of the rule book(s) will help get the head up to speed. The physical stuff can be met and dealt with.
 I'll be the guy driving/riding, take your pick. But I wouldn't ask to passenger or ask it of anyone. Lead ballast can't scream.

Offline firemanjim

limits,what limits?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 12:28:31 PM »
I have met and ridden with an interesting fellow in SoCal,Dave Barr. A double amputee vet, rides a HD Sportster and has been round the world.Sure did not seem much of an obstacle with him.He kept up with all the sportbikes with no problem.
www.davebarr.com
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline jimmy six

limits,what limits?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 02:15:35 PM »
After 6 replies, craig came back in to say he was going to "drive" his M/C. With M/C's "ride" can mean 2 different things. As I "ride" mine, the passenger "rides" it also. I think the replies jumped the gun a little. mine was a clarification to what is in the rulebook....Good Luck...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline promachine

limits,what limits?
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 10:53:15 PM »
In the May issue of Cycle World, there is somthing about 2 up on a
factory BMW @ 169mph at the BUB meet last year. :wink:
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

bak189

limits,what limits?
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 11:20:12 PM »
Yes, that's right.....two on a solo BMW...what fun!!!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
limits,what limits?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 04:27:32 PM »
Its very bad luck to stop on 13 posts.  There was a guy in England in the lat 80s that went 161 two up and wheelieing.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.