Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147237 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »
Instead of a recording of Glen saying "Take it to impound", why just have Glen say it?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2012, 09:08:57 PM »
I'm at Salt Talks at the new Museum site, just on the east side of Wendover.  I spent most of the day getting my own car thru tech and then making the 100 mph "calibration" pass for the 130 club.  It went very well.  Motor never revved over 3500, was at 100 mph by the 1/2 mile, just held it there.  Burned a plug wire on the return road.  It's fixed, I'll try to get 2 runs in tomorrow, then let Jim/Texican have his shot at it.

I've got a buncha photos that I'll post later tonite from the motel after the little gathering here winds down.  In the meantime,  here are a few:

The first 3 are shameless shots of me and my car and the last one is Betty Burkland presenting Pork Pie with a t-shirt commemorating his membership in the "199.9 Club"

More later.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »
Ray, good luck tomorrow. Hope you do well and glad to see you there covering this race, as well as Jon. Pork pies T-Shirt just made my day. He well deserves it and who knows,,,,,,,,maybe hit the 200 mark next year. Mark.

Offline joea

« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2012, 10:23:36 PM »
if no radio.....maybe a run list..?...begging...i know we have been spoiled...most of the year
with Moxnix...

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2012, 10:29:58 PM »
Thanks, Mark.  I'm lookin forward to tomorrow...after some sleep tonite!

Here are a few more"

There's still a bit of water at the Land's End Aquarium and Fish Hatchery.

Monte Widdison conducted the driver's meeting...

...and then there was the 130/150 Club meeting.

There were a couple of almost-identical Challengers in the tech lines...one heavily-salted, the other must be the low-sodium version.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »
Last for tonite. 

A new mid-engined lakester

driven by a nice lady named Sue Guntharp.

In front of me in the staging lane was a British fella named Tony.  I asked what he was running and he said, "A bit of an old British bike."  I expected to see an old BSA or Triumph....but no, this is a Hesketh...only 200 of 'em made, by the same dude that ran the Hesketh Formula One team.  Really rare.  And...

"Ya think the fuel's shooting out the top of the carb because of a stuck needle & seat???"  (It was.)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
if no radio.....maybe a run list..?...begging...i know we have been spoiled...most of the year
with Moxnix...

Yeah, yer spoiled.  :)

If I had a run list, I'd post it.  But  don't.  SSS tells me that audio will be back for the shootout.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
Tech was the most pleasant experience we ever had. Our inspector was friendly and helpful, a welcome change from the grossly inappropriate behavior we experienced last SW from a tech inspector.

1st run (started the day late), clutch slipped when boost came on so jumped off at the 1 and coasted around and was pushed back in line. Clutch too tight (5 min fix) and ready for #2.

2nd run, pulled VERY hard in 1st gear (8psi) shifted to second (12psi) and heard a PUFF......wouldnt pull anymore!!!!!

Car handles better then ever! Salt is great, people are SO NICE!
Getting the pipes strapped with some wire and running early!

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »
A Hesketh!  Well, I'll be.  And sure wish I was there to see it.

Now, audio listeners, I won't say there won't be some audio this meet, it's just that MM and Moxnix may have to work remotely with Slim to make it work.  During Speedweek, I stayed tethered to the new gear on a ten-foot exstension to my headphones.  Fine for swapping ideas in the Landracing.com green chairs during a hot stove league session with the likes of Woody and Ed W. just before the big wind blew up & scattered things to the wind.  Not fine for wandering around w/ my camera, missed the open house on Marlo's new liner, got to wander across the return road and chat with Glen or Brett Kepner.  Didn't get to the souvineer trailers until my sizes were long gone.  

The new system is supposed to offer whoever is keeping an eye on it a bit of leg stretching through the pits & wandering into impound.  It (the rig) just might do it.  We shall see.  Of course I'd like to be there for the use of the upgraded computer as I really want Slim to be posting.  Posting dailies will happen, it just may take longer to obtain the info to post.

Every thing will be all right.

Blame my wife for me not being there.  I do.

RAY!  Did the packet get to you before you left for the salt?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:29:58 PM by Moxnix »
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Tman

« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
That Hesketh is cool!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »
Jonny, until you get a decent beaded end on those pressurized tubes the hoses aren't going to stay on. You need someone to either roll beads into the tubes or weld on a reasonable substitute. The car looks great and appears to have pretty good potential. It's sure changed from when you first showed us the stock Fiat.

Pete

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
A Hesketh!  Well, I'll be.  And sure wish I was there to see it.

RAY!  Did the packet get to you before you left for the salt?

We wish you were here to see that Hesketh, Max.

And no, I didn't get the package...but it'll be there when I get home.  I'll see ya at the Shootout!

Ohh...here are a couple more photos; two from the Salt Talks, one from earlier in the day.  

Nancy Wennerberg is sufficiently healed from her broken collarbone to show off a coupla bugaloo moves while Land's End Lynda seems appalled at SSS's fingers which appear to be slightly (a little more than slightly, it seems) burned.  Candid shots.  I love 'em...except when I'm the subject...like in the next one...and it's one of the better ones that Jim/Texican got of me.    :-P

Mike Crawford, Mayor of Wendover and proprietor of the Carquest auto parts store (not to mention the main squeeze behind the Museum of Speed project) brought his Corvette show car out for the Salt Talks gathering.  It's the first time I've ever seen it out in the sunlight.  I've shot photos of it for years, but always at indoor car shows.  Nice ride!!!

Ok...one more.  Doggy booties are a good thing while on the hot salt.  But I guess this pup had a little issue with takin 'em off...so a funnel collar seemed to be in order.  It all makes sense, but reminds me of a creature from another planet.  Come to think about it, the salt flats seem like another planet.,..a much better one than the one I normally live on.   :-D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:16:07 AM by RayTheRat »

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
Can anyone tell me if Salt Cat II version 2 backed up his XXO/BFS run yesterday ?

Trouble

« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
Tech was the most pleasant experience we ever had. Our inspector was friendly and helpful, a welcome change from the grossly inappropriate behavior we experienced last SW from a tech inspector.

1st run (started the day late), clutch slipped when boost came on so jumped off at the 1 and coasted around and was pushed back in line. Clutch too tight (5 min fix) and ready for #2.

2nd run, pulled VERY hard in 1st gear (8psi) shifted to second (12psi) and heard a PUFF......wouldnt pull anymore!!!!!

Car handles better then ever! Salt is great, people are SO NICE!
Getting the pipes strapped with some wire and running early!

~JH

Roll or weld a bead on on all turbo tubes, and use the best clamps (not chinese) and 5 layer silicone.

Then if you run enough boost the the actual silicone hose will burst.  It sounds like a .30-06 from inside.   :-D

As you have found out, hose clamps don't work well on boost.  There are "T-Bolt" clamps (mcmaster-carr or turbo shops) that hold a lot better.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:08:38 PM by Trouble »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »
Yes, Doug just backed up the Salt Cat II qualifier of yesterday.  I didn't hear the speed -- had someone talking here at LR.com World HQ.  Dang, I hope Max and Chris figger out how to get the audio running today.  It's the right stuff.

Be back in  a minute.

Let's see -- Robbie Cohn just ran and did NOT back up his run from yesterday.  He's one of the few that was not successful this morning -- most racers have done it.  It was 11 in a row successful, now two that didn't (counting Ed).

Right now Ed Van Scoy is on the course in his #128 B/GT "Vette, ran 237.2 middle mile, 237.8 last mile -- on a 236 record.  Today -- 1/4 225, first mile 230, 234.059 middle mile, last mile speed is 235.177 -- not quite enough.  

I'll hang around here and list a few more return runs, then go looking for yesterday's run log - if I can find it.  I'll for sure get set up to get 'em from today on.

Wortman & Wortman flathead blown Ford on the course now, running in a vintage class that I didn't hear.  Had trouble keeping it lit up at the line, ran to the 1 1/2 and shut it off.  Bummer -- now we're up to three in a row that didn't back it up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:44:04 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com