Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147220 times)

Offline Roland6250

• My Powered Streetluge Project
Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »
Good  Moring Salt Lake City.  The crew is all here, we pick up the van and crates in just a little while and then Salt Flats here we come.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
Here's a passel of photos of who's in line for tech inspection at mid-day Friday:

Jonny Hotnuts' car -- and engine bay filled with electronics.  Is there a gas engine in there, too?

Dave Haller's car -- if my eyes don't deceive me in the bright sun here in our pit:

Yes, this is Ed & Linda Van Scoy's car:

Jon Amo/Stainless -- the "Amo Steele Streamliner"

The VWs are here, as usual:

And the Austin Healey streamlined car is back, too:

And one of the great-sounding bikes - is a Honda RC51.  Too bad you can't hear it.  Maybe we'll get the audio running later. . .

There you have it for now.  I'll get some more later.  Enjoy 'em!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:28:51 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »
Off Youtube.  Slim, is this safe?

Lost it.  Found it.  Try again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwegXxQeFVQ
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:09:45 PM by Moxnix »
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
Max:

Hunh?

Jon
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Just checking in.  Jim and I got to the submarine launching ramp about 2:30.  We surfaced about a mile down course.  It's frikkin wet at Land's End.  We cot the car off the trailer, got tarps and plywood down on the salt and begin setting up the canopy.  I was gonna say something unpleasant about someone, but I changed my mind.  Anyway, we got things more ore less secured and it was about time to leave.  We'll have to do Tech tomorrow. 

Just the way things have gone lately.  I can't find my CF card reader nor USB able for my cameras...make that camera (singular...I just got one fixed and the other one died...the Canon 40D I just had serviced a few months ago) so  I can't post any photos right at the moment.  But I'll get there eventually. 

I'm sure the world will look better in the morning.

g'nite

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »
It's just about beddy-bye time for Nancy and me, but first - a reminder that World of Speed begins "officially" at 8 tomorrow morning with the drivers meeting.  There's a nice bunch of race vehicles here already.  We left the salt about 5PM and the stream of arrivals wasn't ending - at all.

The salt is kinda strange in the way that it's drying/not drying.  The standing water moves around, the surface gets dry and then moist again, and back and forth.  I don't know what it's like on the long course -- didn't go out there at all -- but I didn't hear anything but good about it, so maybe the water we saw here and there was only in the non-race areas.  Let's hope so, right?

Then there's the not-so-great news:  I got all of the audio equipment hooked up and running and feeding the sound into the internet site (Meridix) -- but nothing came out the other end.  Max is working on it from his end of the world, and he's been in touch with the guy at Meridix, and we sure as heck hope that you'll be able to hear streaming audio like you've heard during the previous two events.  But then -- even if we get it running we've got to break off in mid-afternoon to get things set up for Salt Talks tomorrow evening.  We need the pit trailer for that event.

Whatever -- I'll get you photos and stories and as much of the fun as I can share.  Stay tuned.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »
Off Youtube.  Slim, is this safe?

Lost it.  Found it.  Try again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwegXxQeFVQ

Max you need a real day job!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
A man with a day job doesn't have time to take care of serious business.

Next time I'll leave lots of USB cables and adapters in the box for Slim and Ray.

I would rather be on a chair at the Landracing trailer for the audio than typing this in my office.

Woody, perhaps those chaps need some work on their aero?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »
Max, I'd be one heck of a lot happier if you were here, too.  I don't have earphones -- nor headphones, nor anything like that - - so can't hear if the audio is getting produced, much less sent to the Compaq.  And without that spare USB hole -- I can't - - and so on.  So therefore -- we're not going to work on having the audio streaming, I'm sorry to say.   Just too many missing parts and worse still -- too many skills (I'm talking about me, folks :? :?). 

Salt Talks II/WoS 2012?  You dang betcha!  We've got things fine-tuned on that.  And as for the racing here -- well, the drivers meeting is over (I'll give you a few of the photos in a few minutes), the rookie orientation and the course drive is happening now, and pretty soon we'll be racing.

The course layout, for your information, is:  The main course is the same one as the SCTA's #1 SpeedWeek 2012 course but starting at the SCTA's 1 mile.  USFRA uses one course as a combination course, with long course vehicles staging on the right and short course on the left.  That way a long course vehicle can run - and while he's clearing the course down by the 6 or 7 or whatever, the short course vehicle can prepare to run to the four and turn out or whatever.

Turn to the left if you're okay, turn out to the right if you've got problems or need help.

Monte told us at the meeting that past the 6 mile there are NO dragged turnouts, so keep your eyes open during the course drive and figure out what you'll be wanting to do as you are finishing your pass.  That's about the only thing that might cause some issues -- no dragged turnouts.

And so it goes.  I'm going to post this and see if there's something else I can do.  The rookies are still out on the course getting oriented, so racing hasn't started.  C U Soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
What a nice way to start the event -- the Vesco #444 just put down the first 300+ pass of the day.  307 in the last mile, which wasn't a qualifier, but still - ah, yes, we're here on the salt and life is good.

Tom Liberatore on bike 329 is on the short course now - whoops -- stopped on the course.  Racing on hold, so I'll post this.  I don't think I'll be able to keep up with all of the runs, but I'll let you know what's what as I can.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »
Glad to hear Vesco's made it. They had last minute supplier delivery problems. They worked up to the last minute to get there. Wish I was there to crew as well. Everyone else go fast be safe. Thanks Jon for the updates
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2012, 11:31:25 AM »
Huh.  Well, I did give away my spare headphones to the radio guys at BUB so they could monitor their own broadcast on the 7 second delay from Meridix.  Plus they got one of the aging Thinkpads to plug it into.

Yes, it's better if I'm THERE, not here, during an event on the salt.  Please, everyone tell my lovely better half that I have a moral and technical obligation to be there for EVERY event.  Now that the collection of parts is close to being in order, SHE needs to understand that it is not a vacation, but a religious pilgrimage.

If anything, you might try switching out the tower for the T61 on Sunday, if you have a chance, giving you a built-in mouse and two USB ports.  Of course, if I'd taken out the dock for the T61 in the first place, there would be 6 USB ports, but my failings are many and the time/space continuum keeps me from doing what I prefer (being there).  

Still, it's all okay.  

Oy vey.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »
sounds to me like the flux capacitor is out of spec.  Put some exhaust lube on it and it should be good to go :evil:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
It's not the flux capacitor -- it's the fact that I ripped the tinfoil hat thag the audio operator needs to wear,
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »
Slim, patch it with exhaust heat wrap, shinny side out.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah