Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147217 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »
There is a sensor that detects the amount of ethanol. Ethanol does not provide as much energy as gasoline, so you need more of it.
Aren't you glad it's helping wean us off of gas? Despite the terribly low amount of corn this year because of the drought, 40% is still mandated to go to ethanol. Wait a few months to see how corn and corn fed food prices is gonna go through the roof.

Maybe we should just concentrate on racing?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
We're at mile marker 65 and just got passed by a race trailer from Kansas - hauling a C/GALT (I think that's what the stickers on the window said).  I wonder who that is?  An hour form now we'll be back on the salt.  How nice is that?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »
SO how are we saving gas by going to ethanol which GETS LESS MPG and is driving up the price of corn and  feed and driving dairy farmers out of business. Price of steaks lately?

Because ethanol is the most cost effective octane enhancer available now that tetraethyl lead is banned.
It allows the refiners to get more useable gasoline out of a barrel of oil because they can blend a lower octane gasoline (that would be illegal to sell as gasoline otherwise) with the ethanol and still meet mandated octane requirements.

It also effectively converts coal and natural gas to a transportation fuel. Almost all the process energy that goes into ethanol production comes from electricty (mostly coal, and natural gas sourced) and directly from natural gas. This energy is transformed into a transporation fuel you can run in your car with no modifications once it is blended with gasoline.

Ethanol only produces less energy than gasoline on a volume basis (ie gallon per gallon) if burned at proper fuel air mixtures it produces more power and torque than a straight gasoline of equivalent octane.

Corn is not expensive in historical terms, it is actually cheaper than it was in 1984 and just slightly above the cost is spiked to in 1996.
It is a commodity that follows demand, the livestock feed customers have been getting corn at true costs below the cost of production for years thanks to government intervention in the markets. Corn prices are just coming back up to their fair market value (ie the farmer can sell his crop at a profit after deducting expenses without depending on price support payments).

The higher prices of corn due to the demand for ethanol actually reduced total government payouts in the farm program, with the net cost reductions more than paying for the blenders tax credits which were paid to help develop the fuel ethanol industry.

Funny thing was that the vast majority of that money spent in the blenders tax credit never went to the farmers or producers of ethanol, it went to the oil companies because they were the ones doing the blending. Now that that incentive has been eliminated the fuel ethanol producers are (if well run and using state of the art plants) still selling fuel ethanol at profit without it. The industry is finally competitive with the oil industry, in fact they are now becoming co-dependant, the oil companies could not meet gasoline demand without ethanol blending at current import rates.

The gas savings are indirect. They also are very dependent on the specific car you are driving. Some car models actually get better fuel mileage on high ethanol fuel blends than they do on straight gasoline. It is taking some time for the auto manufactures to figure out how to take advantage of ethanol added fuels but some of them have got their engine management systems sorted out so that there is little or no drop in fuel mileage with ethanol blends.

I run all my cars on E85 gasoline blends and none of them are FFV's. The problem is folks get tunnel vision on fuel mileage per gallon when what they should be watching is cost per mile. If measured that way ethanol added gasoline is cheaper than straight gasoline, in markets where there is a mature distribution system so fuel ethanol is sold at the proper markup.

In 2004 I started experimenting with E85 conversions on my car and once I finished the conversion in 2005 I was saving about 2 cents per mile using E85. My fuel cost per mile on gasoline (premium required due to my turbocharger) was just a tad over 12 cents a mile, on straight E85 it at 10 cents a mile.

Don't worry about miles per gallon worry about cents per mile.

Larry

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
The car is lookin good Ray, try to get the nose down a bit. Sorry I cant be there to help this year.  :-(

Hi Don.  Jim and I were just talking about you.  Hope we see ya next year.  I guess we're gonna have to come back to get that 150 mark.

I have a set of 2" drop spindles that SLCMike has offered to help with, but I have to take responsibility for not getting it done.  There was just too much other stuff, it seems.  Yeah, I know...it was prolly a dumb thing to decide to paint the car when I did, but the paint on the nose was so damned cracked and sh*tty that I just felt the need to do it before it showed its face on the salt.  I'll get 'em on before next year...or, come to think of it, I'll bring the things to the salt and if folks get bored...well, I might even buy the beer and/or soft drinks.  Howzzat? 

Freud suggested that I MIGHT be able to use nylon ratcheting straps to compress the springs a bit, so that's also a possibility.  And finally, it's gonna look a lot lower when I put the 2.5" lower air dam back on.  :)  You won't be able to miss it.  It's bright red.  LOL!

Finally, I had no trouble getting the GPS to read 137 in 3rd gear before that little unpleasantness with the driveshaft happened.  I don't think it'll be a "make it or break it" deal to bring the nose down for the 130 Club.  150 is a different deal.  I definitely want 'em on before I try for that one.  I might even consider changing the rear end, since it's a 3.73 with a 0.666 overdrive...and...well, there are a lotta options.

So.  We'll be thinkin of ya, Don.  Sure hope to see ya next year.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »
We're here!  Nancy and I arrived at Land's End about 2 hours ago.  There's water at the end of the pavement. 

Okay, get over it.  Follow the cones, drive slowly for about 1,000 feet - and you're on damp salt.  Bear left/north and head towards the pits - same location as the SpeedWeek pits.  The course - is the same as the SpeedWeek #1 course but starting at the SW 1 mile (original location, that is).  Drive on the damp salt toward the pits and notice that it's getting drier and drier as you move, but still there's salt collecting on the front of the trailer - thrown there by the tires of the pickup.  But it's not bad, and it gets drier.

And once you're in the pits it isn't very wet.  Yeah, some salt will collect on your shoes and there's still some on the trailer tires and in the fenders, but it isn't bad.  By the time I unhooked the trailer and moved the truck -- hey, there wasn't much at all on the tires.  Not bad.

So - how's the course?  It's going to be fine, folks, really.  It's not great for racing today -- but that's okay 'cause we're not to start racing 'til Saturday, are we?  It's about 80F and mild and sunny and there are gentle breezes.  Things are drying.  A passel of rain clouds moved past, south of the interstate, but on the side where we race - it's good.

Then Nancy and I took a drive down the international course to check it out.  Holey Moley, dang near a bowling alley!  Super!  Well, that is, until we got about a mile from the freeway - right where the old pole line crosses and there's the underground river.  The surface there looks nice, but it's wet.  We drove off the course to cross the wet spot -- no need to muck up the course.  Maybe it'll heal if we don't farkle it.  But other than that -- it looks dandy.

There's your first impression.  I guess we'll start inspections in the morning, and if things go as well as they seem to be going -- we'll inspect on the salt, not at the Land's End pavement. 

See you on the Salt for World of Speed 2012.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
Slim, is there a pre entry list, is it going to be a live broadcast? everyone go fast--be safe. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »
Glen, I don't know about a pre-entry list -- but will ask.  In the meantime -- check out the USFRA website and maybe there's one there.  We're back at the motel for a few minutes and will now go out doing more errands.  We just bought out Smith's supply of hamburger buns and ordered up the burgers, and Nancy played havoc with their wine and beer inventory.  This could be a fun evening for me and the other gentlemen in attendance :evil: :evil:  "Come on over here, guys. . ."

As for the live audio -- well, Max won't be here but has left instructions and a bunch of audio equipment down at Car Quest.  We're headed there in a few minutes to see if I can make sense of it.  I've got a new computer tower in the truck with us, but Max didn't remind me to bring little things for it -- like wires!  Good thing John House is on call.  Whatever -- I sure as heck hope to have audio for everyone.   Our bike won't be ready, most likely, so that leaves time for stuff like the audio and the Salt Talks and, oh, yeah, as we drove up to Land's End I got asked (according to Nancy -- I didn't even hear it) I got asked if I'd inspect bikes tomorrow. 

Yep -- I plan for everyone to hear World of Speed 2012.  Stay tuned -- it'll be the usual Meridix link thing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
All the wires shoult be in the box at Carquest.  There is a small cardboard box therein, with a Microport wrapped in a cloth sleeve along with a wire.  This goes to the computer USB port.  everything else should have the wires marked and attached at one end or the other, the instructions do the rest.  (I picked up a refurbed flat screen monitor yesterday, but it's in the garage here, not available on short notice).  Everything is going to be just fine.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »
Yeah -- sure, Max.  I just got  the box from CarQuest.  Folks, don't listen to him -- the frickin' box was so big that we had to hire a couple of guys to carry it!  The thing takes up most of the back of the pickup.

Well, not quite that bad, but -- what I mean about wires, Max, is that I didn't think of stuff like a cable to plug the computer into the danged 110VAC.  No biggie -- John House will rescue us, I'm sure -- has already promised a monitor.  I've got the UPS all charged and ready -- brand new -- never used.  Sure hope it works.  And cables, too -- well, I guess i shouldn't freak out 'til I see what I need.  Thanks for helping as much as you have.

Speaking of WoS, here's a shot of the poster that Joe Shaul made for us.  Joe runs the sign/shirt/poster/most everything shop here in Wendover, Utah, and has been one of the best friends we've made.  He's made the banners for Salt Talks for a couple of years, and worked with Mike Crawford to get this poster right -- including with the logo of the new museum.  Thanks, gentlemen.  By the way, both Joe and Mike should be at Salt Talks this Saturday.  Will you be there?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:26:09 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »
Thats cool,
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »
Thanks, Glen.  Nancy and I just went to the site to scope out where we'll set up.  We'll park our trailer on the new pavement and set the big gas grill there, too, so that folks can get their food without having to walk in the dirt/mud/dust at Land's End.  There's a whole lot of good parking -- nice pea gravel (kinda soft - watch yourselves, and drive downhill and not up!), and lots of places for us to have folks sit around and shoot the breeze and tell only true stories about how fast they used to be - or how fast they would have run if only the _______ hadn't broken during their run.  You know -- the usual stuff.  No lie detectors will be anywhere on the site.  Don't worry, folks, we'll believe you :roll:

Better still -- we'll be starting things around 5.30 or 6 or so, and while sunset isn't 'til like 7.30 or 8 - by 6 or so the sun will be hidden by the mountain just west of the site, so we'll have good light and no hot sunshine to warm your beverages.

See you there, folks.  

I forgot to post this earlier.  It's the truck that left Land's End just in front of us.  This is the worst part of the entire journey to the pits, so don't be afraid and stay home, you hear?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:57:33 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fast_TA

• New folks
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
Hat water was almost gone when we left at about six. But it appeared to be flowing back towards lands end

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 11:29:37 PM »
Ethanol is not a solution apart from extending what oil is left to go a bit further. Quite simply I think we should be growing food, not fuel. As disappointing it is in an acoustic sense, electric cars are our future,

Hydrogen fuel cells are not the solution either, too many storage problems on car and in stations. Even if successful it would still mean dependence on the hydrogen producer and service stations.

With electric cars, the energy distribution system is basically there already and we need to increase the mix of green tech to aquire more electricity.

Plenty of new electric car records for us to chase, and the great thing for speed trials is that you can get all the power from the second you start allowing for incredible acceleration. That isn't the Landspeed thing historically, but it means we can get to our top speed faster, which means shorter tracks and more runs.

Plenty more racing years yet...

Reverend Hedgash

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »

As for the live audio -- well, Max won't be here but has left instructions and a bunch of audio equipment down at Car Quest.  We're headed there in a few minutes to see if I can make sense of it.  I've got a new computer tower in the truck with us, but Max didn't remind me to bring little things for it -- like wires!  Good thing John House is on call. 

Any questions on the analog bits, give me a call.

In fact, here's the sheet I wrote out for Maximus -

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Texican

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2012, 12:26:50 AM »
This Ethanol Crapola, in my opinion, is just a big cop out to subsidize the mid west farmers.

My advice? VOTE GREEN! LAUNCH all 445* of the cockroaches in DC;  give this country a chance. Convert our coal to gasoline, diesel, heating oil, jet fuel, etc. If the Nazis could do it in 1944, where is our modern technology?
Open the Kaparowitz plateau that William Jefferson Quisling locked up in1996 as a ploy to the Chi-coms.

*435 members of Congress; 9 old persons in robes who have proved to be traitors; and the dictators in the White House.

Just one citizen (veteran)'s opinion.
Jim