Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147245 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 10:03:46 AM »
Stainless, the USFRA site has been doing a good job of updating. By the way, it's looking better.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
I looked at the www.saltflats.com site and see a post from Monte Widdison - showing a photo he took out there yesterday.  It sure sounds to me like the racing surface will be just fine.  I guess right by Land's End it still is wet, but the course itself is fine.  See you on the salt.  We're just leaving Bismarck, ND, where we filled with $4.199/gallon diesel.  57F and mellow.  Bozeman tonight, SLC tomorrow night, Wendover by Thursday.

Wayno, is the visitor's "welcome mat" out for us at Salina for after WoS?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Slim, the welcome mat is out just a little further south in St.George as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »
Sure is, Slim. The only thing is, I don't know for sure when I'll be leaving the Salt. We'll figure that out during the week. I'm heading up there in the morning to help with prep. Wayno

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »
Slim, I sent that AM antenna & USB cable priority to Mike C.  Drive safe.  Regards to your better half.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Texican

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
Weather appears to be just GREAT!
Saw a 10 day Monday, and the chance of precip was less than the square root of zero.
Just bear in mind this is the same gov't office that some times misses storms that turn up as a surprise.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:84083.1.99999

Just remember to throw in a shell parka or hoody sweat shirt for the early AM freshies; esp. if you get to impound.
Regards,

Safe trip to all,
Jim

Offline Texican

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 01:14:43 PM »
Here's a quick overview of local fuel prices; as usual figger on adding $.20 more or less at Wendover.

I don't see how anybody can justify dealing with Chevron.
Just my opinion.
I haven't traded with that outfit since they dropped the real 100 octane 'white pump' 40 years ago.

http://www.saltlakegasprices.com/

Offline Texican

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
Here's another good website that most folks are probably already aware of.
No bargains anywhere.
Those coming in on I-80 might save a little by tankering in from Evanston.

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices?filters=filter-state_WY

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
Let's see -- the USFRA website says everything looks good, and Jim/Texican called to say he's got some food to donate for Salt Talks, and that sounds good, too.  So I guess I'll just make a post to refresh a few points about WoS 2012. 

Salt Talks/WoS will be held at the site of the new Bonneville Museum at the east end of Wendover this Saturday evening starting around 5.30 or 6 or so.  It'll be the usual land speed racer gathering, including food and drink - and some gifts and raffle items, a cash money draw, and at least a few items of special interest that will be auctioned off - not just given out.  The donors have requested that we do it that way to make sure that landracing.com gets the best possible amount of funds -- and since Salt Talks is the big fundraiser for the site -- we're bound to do what we can.  One item that we will auction, for instance, is a mounted photo by Pork Pie.  He'll be there to tell us about it - so you know what it is you're bidding on buying.  Trust me on this one, folks -- it'll be something that will be in very plain sight on the wall of your home or shop - it's a beauty.  Glen Barrett donated a brand new set of Moon discs - four of 'em, still in the Mooneyes wrapper.  I think we'll auction them, too.

Salt Talks 2012 t-shirts are for sale at the event, and we've got other stuff that's been donated - even an iPod from Wheelrdealer, way down in Florida. 

I'll quit soon, but invite you to get in touch with me if you've got stuff you'd like to donate - team shirts and other stuff, too.  We all wil appreciate it very much.  Oh, yeah -- if you want to supply some food, be it Wa's beans or Texican's Polish Sausage or watermelon - let me know, hey?  Thanks.  See you in a couple of days.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
I'll be bringing pickled eggs and pepperoni, but no olives which are in short supply. The measly few that are left will be in the Pepperoni Bros. pit, so come and get 'em!
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline JimL

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »
FYI. Anyone coming across Wyo on I80; at the Laramie exit for McDonalds, south under the freeway, southeast corner of first intersection, is a station with ALL grades of non-ethanol gasoline.  I got much improved mileage running it.  Price very little different than the junk, and my old truck had a happy soul for a few hundred miles. :wink:

JimL

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »
I can't remember if I posted this here or not.  I'm so tired I could sleep for a week, but still have 2 weeks stuff to get done in one day.

I'd planned to run the 130 AND 150 Club classes.  So many things went wrong that I guess the 150 just wasn't meant to be.  But I'm VERY disappointed in a whole lotta people who didn't come thru like they told me they would.

So I have no roll cage in the car and no way to fasten the 5-point harnesses.  I'm putting the stock 3-point harnesses back in this morning.  I'll only be running in the 130 Club.

Here's a photo of the car with the old uber-cracked GM water-based lacquer stripped off and a coat of flat black applied:

Offline Ole Don

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
The car is lookin good Ray, try to get the nose down a bit. Sorry I cant be there to help this year.  :-(

Offline Texican

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »
@ Don...
  I was wondering if you were planning to turn up.

Hope your health is good, and there is some other issue.

Really none of my business, but friends worry about friends, that's why they
are friends.

Best wishes to you and family.
Hope to see you next year, if we both still be on this side fo the grass.
Jim

Offline jl222

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
FYI. Anyone coming across Wyo on I80; at the Laramie exit for McDonalds, south under the freeway, southeast corner of first intersection, is a station with ALL grades of non-ethanol gasoline.  I got much improved mileage running it.  Price very little different than the junk, and my old truck had a happy soul for a few hundred miles. :wink:

JimL

Same thing happened to me years ago. Why suddenly am I getting 2 more miles per gallon? Seems the EFI senses
the engine needs to run richer with the ethanol and squirts more fuel.

SO how are we saving gas by going to ethanol which GETS LESS MPG and is driving up the price of corn and  feed and driving dairy farmers out of business. Price of steaks lately?

JL222