Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147242 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2012, 11:52:19 AM »
Other stuff:  The 5400 Austin Healey car is still running on the 130 Club course licensing up the drivers.  They had a head stud pull out yesterday and had to find a helicoil to get the motor back together.  They're running today -- don't know if they'll make it over to the regular course in time.

In time for what?, you ask.  Well, Jim Burkdoll, the race director, has made the decision to end racing at 2PM.  All raacing ends then, including return runs.  If a vehicle qualifies today it'll be given time to prep for a return and then will be on the course immediately -- no waiting 'til the end of the day, no waiting for the tomorrow that won't happen.  2PM is the "drop dead" time for WoS 2012.

Nancy and I went to the freeway end of the int'll course this morning -- the course that'll be used for the Shootout in just a few days.  Racing is to start for that event first thing Saturday morning.  So - how's the course, especially after yesterday's rain?

It's BETTER than it was yesterday before the rain.  There's still wet/standing water at the extreme freeway end, but the water is now only a hundred yards or so from start to end.  After the water it's about 3/8 mile to the underground river, which crossing is drier than yesterday - but still a tad on the moist side.  But after than it's good and hard and ry salt for the next 3 1/2 miles.  We can't go any farther up the course than that because they're using the course as part of the 130/150 Club course.  I didn't go to the Floating Island end of the int'l course for a day or two, but water wasn't the issue up there anyway, but rather the smoothness and the amount of salt (vs. the amount of hard dirt/clay).

Expect the Shootout to start on time Saturday.  I know the Speed Demon team is en route -- should arrive Elko this evening and here at the salt tomorrow morning - to set up for the Friday drivers meeting.

Over to you folks.  Oh, yeah - Max says he's going to try to be here to help lame ol' me get the audio running for the Shootout, even though there's lots of dead air time between runs.  Still -- if we can get it running it'll be slicker than soap on a doorknob.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:57:09 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »
Are they running this morning??
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
Other stuff:  The 5400 Austin Healey car is still running on the 130 Club course licensing up the drivers. 

They were looking to license up three drivers this year, and try to get at least one of them over 200.

Best of luck to them - if they get it done today, that's going to be one worn out Healey by this afternoon.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
Any idea why the seem to be having so much problems posting the runs info from this event?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »
Yes, they're running, Glen.  Look back a page or so and you'll see my hand-entered data taken from the timing slip printer.

We sure hope to see you out here soon.  I've been emailing with Max - he tells me this and that, and you're welcome to take him up on his request and offer.

We're doing qualifying runs now -- Joe Ledford just ran - didn't hear the speed due to a visitor at the truck.  The Vesco car is about three back from the line.

Car 1479 is next to run.  I'll post and then give you speeds.  It's the little diesel streamliner (I/DS) with Rick Winders driving on a 64+ mph record.  It's got a VW diesel engine.  1/4 mile speed is 72.100,  mile speed 68.207  -- Cue Glen to say "Nice run, and take it to impound!"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:23:03 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »
To the query about the run logs:  I've pestered and requested and asked for run logs - but short of the point of making myself a persona non gratis in the registration trailer or tower.  The logs have not been available, and haven't been on the USFRA site, either.  I know that Dan Wright has done much of the site work for USFRA - and since Kris (his wife) got hurt - the job of website updater might be unfilled.  I'm afraid I might only post things I can hear on the radio or copy from Ron Christensen's printer.  Yes, we do intend to have the streaming audio be a permanent offering from now on - unless one of the sanctioning organisations decides to restrict the use of the audio from said event.  I sure hope they don't - it seems to have been popular with you folks.  In the meantime -- I'll keep on giving some data/runs when I can get 'em.

Fuel truck closes at 11AM today.

Car 774 just ran - a blown roadster -- didn't sound right as he left, and clicked it/pulled the chute about the 2 mile.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »
D/GMR #310 on the line next.  Vesco car, by the way, is sitting off the side and not third back -- waiting for something.  It's mildly breezy/crosswind here at the start line.

Back to #310 - he's pushing off and going down the course.

Sounds like he got about to the one or so and is coasting down - now has shut off the engine.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
I did not realize Kris was the person who did the website updates so that makes perfect sense now.  Thanks Slim

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
Not Kris, but her husband Dan that did website stuff.  But that was in the past -- don't know if that's still the case.

We're going to the 1 mile of the 130 club course to watch a barstool.  Back soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
Even if it is not Kris, with what Dan had to go through watching her crash he gets a pass in my book.  the wesbite is not a matter of life or death!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »
We all understand it and Slim is doing his best to keep us posted. The printed results can wait, everyone is getting a time slip and that's what counts. We all hope Kris is doing well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2012, 01:00:33 PM »
The Vesco car did eventually get to the line, start and leave -- and either just popped out of gear and he couldn't get it bac in -- or hurt the gearbox.  No run for the #4441 just now.

We went down to the 130 Club 1 mile to watch Robb Spencer in the "No Fuel Barstool".  He ran about 47 mph on a 55 record.

1 12-volt motor running on a pack of gel batteries.  There are rules for the barstools and the have two classes -- lakester and streamliner.  How 'bout that?
In the meantime, we just got a visit from Jim Burkdoll who reports that Kris Wright is recovering but still not ready for running the 100 meter race.  I'll get as much as I can from Dan (Wright) later -- but for now - she's doing okay and the injuries are evidently not a serious as first feared.  Get well soon, Kris.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:15:03 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
In the late afternoon we took this one of Jim, Kim, and Greg -- looking like racers nearing the end of a fine event, hey?

The Healey, by the way, is done for the meet.  They had enough salt gremlins that they never did run it on the regular course, but the whole bunch of them had a blast over on the 130/150 course.  We just had a photo opportunity -- Nancy and me and the car.  Who knowze - it might be our Christmas card photo.  The group, anyway. was happy and looking forward to more adventures.  Go to www.healey.org for more on them and the cars.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
The Vesco liner broke two quick change shafts at SW. Hope thats not the case again.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »
Sure is quiet out there
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah