Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147226 times)

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »
seeing as i do not have an actual RR1000 (I only have an RS 1200 and RSS 1200) that is probabaly more than i am willing to spend.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »
Steve M, I believe Kevin Winders blew up the engine in the Rabbit truck yesterday. I was at the line when he ranand I know it turned out to the right, indicating a problem. I heard there were engine parts (crankshaft chunks) laying on the course.

OUCH.  That is too bad for the Winders team.  Crankshaft chunks are never good.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
Posting from the refurbed netbook to test it for the salt.

Dan, tell your posh Buell friends.  It fits an S2 and the spare lowers accommodate the wider 5-speed tranny.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
I have an S2 also but the bodywork would be worth more than the bike!  :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
306 middle mile for Vesco, 321.299 last mile -- missed the record of 323+.  Dang -- still the fastest car of the meet.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »
Ray Buck/Therat just left the line on the 130 course -- but no reports yet about his speeds.  This morning he said he had two more runs (in his allotment).  This one would be the first of those.  Dang, I wish they'd report the runs over on that course.

Here are the (long-delayed) reports.  First of today's 2 runs: 124.  Like running into that wall of jello in 3rd gear.  We took it back to the pits and checked the basics.  Had help (very much appreciated) from Korey Bligh and Dick Milne) All cylinders firing, plugs look good, fuel supply seems ok.  Finally decided to give it a little more spark advance and remove the air filter, just in case.  2nd run, 113, shooting ducks all the way down the course.  

I drove it back to the pits and after we have a bite to eat, were gonna put it on the trailer.  I don't know where to go from here at the moment, and I'm not gonna go buy another roll of tickets just to "try this" or "try that" until I know what the problem is.  It could be the MSD6AL box, the MSD distributor or the AED/Holley carb. I dunno.  

The good news is that all the stuff I put into the car: transmission, driveshaft, rear driveshaft loop, full-length headers, high-zoot alternator and power-steering brackets and underdrive crankshaft pulley, new seats and a buncha other stuff all seem to be working fine.  And there were no cataclysmic failures like last year.  So I'll take it home, work on it and see what I can come up with.  Then I'll  bring it back next year and see what happens.

After I eat a bit, I'll go shoot some photos to post.

[/quote]

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »
Too often I see folks advancing their ignition with no idea that they are already too far advanced as it is.  By retarding it a few degrees they actually gain hp (especially in the upper rpms) and go faster.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »
Dan, build a race bike with this stuff, set some records and it will be worhtwhile.

Ray, glad the car is staying together.  Next year for sure.

Vescos still have time.

Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2012, 04:51:24 PM »
Ray, how are you checking the timing? If you're still running a stock harmonic balancer it's possible for the outside ring to move and therefore the timing marks to move. The way to check that is to bring number one cylinder up to top dead center then checking to see if that corresponds with where the timing marks on the harmonic balancer say tdc is. Sometimes just putting in a new set of plugs will solve a problem. Just a couple of things worth looking at. Best of luck.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2012, 05:09:34 PM »
It's 3.05 PM here and it just started raining.  It's a nice gentle rain - but with big drops.  Not much wind so the raindrops are falling straight down.

And since I started typing this post - it's gentled to a bit of a drizzle.  Obviously -- everything is on hold for the time being.  The rover at the six mile just reported the rain has started up there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2012, 05:30:52 PM »
The rain has now stopped, but there's a bit of water standing on the course and here in the pits.  I'll stay on the radio and give you updates as I hear them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SLCMike

• New folks
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »
 I had the opportunity to help out Ray and Jim with the Monte over the weekend, I had a great time. I got  to meet a lot of really nice people out on the salt and at Salt talks.   Unfortunately I had to be at work today so I am back in the real world, I would rather be out there even if it's raining! Seriously though,  I think the issue with RayTheRats car is those reading glasses. Without em he can't read the GPS and with em he can't see the gas pedal (life is cruel sometimes)! Actaully I was thinking about it and there are a few things we didn't check.  First thing is to get that timinng nailed down, secondly I was wondering what the fuel pressure regulator set at?   Lastly, tranny fluid.  It could be slipping at higher rpm (does it have a lock up type converter?).  Hopefully it's something simple :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
3.50PM MDT and the meet is done for today.  No more racing, rain or not.

Expect Jim Burkdoll and Larry Volk to get out here early in the morning to decide if we can race tomorrow.  But for now -- "That's all, Folks!"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »
Mike Thanks for the report on Ray's car and thanks for supporting him on his quest.

I wish I could have been there if only for moral support.

Korey and Dickie can get a handle on most things but it sounds as if Ray hung it up.

The day will come when the problems will be solved and this will just be a bump in the road, ahhhhhh I mean Salt.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »
so if they call it tomorrow that would mean WOS is done for 2012 right?