Author Topic: Official World of Speed 2012 topic  (Read 147236 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Official World of Speed 2012 topic
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
Nancy sells Slims "services" to the locals for food? :-o

Offline Heather w.

• New folks
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
The only good place we eat is the truck stop. So we eat at camp nightly
Thanks for all you doing keeping us updated guys. Us wow have to go to work  :cry:
Just be sure to tell us times for byu and car 3111 I need that for my stress relieve lol

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2012, 10:37:46 PM »
I'm not even gonna touch Tman's comment.  I'll mention that we spent almost the whole d*mn day waiting in the 130 Club staging lanes to find out that the reason for the car running into a 'wall of jello' at 123 mph was a throttle that was only opening up to about 60 percent.  I know I'd checked that, but all I can think of is that the TV cable adjustment threw it off.  Then the microburst storms from h*ll hit and we spent a lotta time trying to keep our canopy from taking off for Kansas.  I've had worse days, but I've had better ones, too.  At least the car is still in one piece.

Here are some photos before I crash out for the nite:

Remember why I decided to strip and paint the car?  It was cuz the paint around the tow hook was in such bad shape.  Now you'd never know if it was perfect or junk.

The 59 Ford in the next 2 photos has some very "interesting" approaches to the field of applied aerodynamics.

Tony Johnson (who blew the 350 smallblock in his Monte Carlo all to h*ell last year as he attempted to drive home to Wisconsin after WoS) put a 5.3l LS motor in and ran 158 mph on is first pass in the 150 Club.  Great stuff!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2012, 10:53:45 PM »
Four more and it's lights out.

On this run, I spun the tires all the way thru 1st and 2nd gear...and still ran into the wall of jello.

Replica of the streamlined Austin-Healey that Donald Healey drove to a speed of 192 +  change in 1954.

Snugging up the wheel knock-offs with a brass hammer.

And a whole line of VWs competing in the "36 hp Challenge."  I've never seen so many cars with the number 53 before.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
We walked past the Austin Healey while it was in line today - and I noticed that the knock-off wheel retainers were safety wired.  One long two-strand wire ran, in the correct direction to prevent loosening, from a point of the three-point spinners and back to a hole in the wheel hub area.  I had kinda wondered how the spinoffs would get through tech -- now I know.  I didn't take a photo - but will tomorrow, assuming I find the car.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2012, 11:40:57 PM »
There has been Alot of great speeds run at wos especially for bikes!!! I had to surf around the net ro find out ...
Greg waters went 256 yesterday and backed it up with a 250 for a 253 record...Fastest sit on bike record in scta history!!!!!!  Teammate kim krebs set record over 220 earning a well deserved red hat !!!

Way to go jim higgins also and the whole team !!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
Yes, Joe -- a great team effort.  Too bad we didn't have the audio going, dang it.  You could have heard the announcer telling us that it was Kim on the Greg bike, running that 250+ speed.  And - better yet, that Kim was a boy.  We shot the breeze with them in the parking lot here tonight and I complimented her on the very quick, very successful sex change operation. :evil:  But no matter -- that team is rocking pretty well, aren't they?

Speaking of WoS stuff -- Clay Pitkin and I both (evidently) heard from Dan Wright tonight.  Dan reports (in case you don't see the thread about the car 667 crash), Kris Wright ran a 224 or so in the middle mile, but in the last mile the car did a few rolls.  She suffered relatively minor injuries - that is, not life-threatening - but is pretty well beat up.  She'll stay in the hospital tonight for sure, and maybe longer if the doctors feel she needs to be kept there.  But - she's doing pretty well for having rolled over at about two bills.  Best wishes to Kris - and Dan, and the entire 667 Firecracker crew. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2012, 11:52:04 PM »
Hey Andy your 1959 Ford with your aero mods (see above web photo) is looking good, did you use my 23 " front tire yet to lower the front of car?? How fast did you go, be safe
your friend Dave Bloomberg "Avanti Kid"  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
In response to the request for times and the run logs-- Ellen Wilkinson said (this evening) that she finally got around to getting ready to prepare to get set up to start writing the email that'd carry the logs to me for posting -- when the weather turned bad around 4.30 this afternoon.  Here are a couple of pictures of the clouds as they rolled over the Wendover hills and to the salt:

So - sorry, still no logs.  Ellen says that she'll get 'em to me in the morning.  FWIW, www.saltflats.com doesn't have 'em, either.

Therain started pitter-pattering around 4.30.  Nancy and I had been at the line for an hour or so, and it was obvious that the weather was turning sour.  We weren't seeing any vehicles leaving - because it was the time that the course was on hold because of Kris' crash.  So we headed back to the pits and took shots of the vehicles that had been in line (some of 'em for a few hours.  Fred Vance got in line first thing this morning - was near the front of the line by about 3PM, for instance.  Anyway, here's a review of some who were in line for the main (long/short combo) course at WoS:

This is the 350 Yamaha converted into a side car rig (wheel on a stick):

Blue Flames thanks to BJ Burkdoll, it says right there on this bike:

Finally (for tonight) -- this car has been calling to me to photograph and publish the nice repair job.  Silver car -- silver duct tape.  That's artistical, isn't it?

Good night, boys and girls.  Because of the rain this afternoon - the guess is that the course won't be damaged much but that racing might well NOT START until noon.  I'll let you know as soon as I get updated information tomorrow.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
Not "good night" after all.  I just looked at the Wendover radar and see that what looks like a bit of rain is headig from the southwest - right towards us.  The forecast calls for a 30% chance of rain before midnight - and this might be that 30%.  Sure hope we end up with the 70% change of not rain :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2012, 12:25:18 AM »
Looks like Greg Watters has worked out the tire issues from last year's Shootout.  Great bike.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »
Return speed , record set, or any runs by Salt Cat ll please

I ran across the Salt Cat folks when they were back in tech for the class change (from XXO/BFS to XXO/BGS) inspection.  Doug told me that his down run was 224+ and the return was 223+ for a 223+ record.  For those who don't know, they added wheel pants on the rear to turn their lakester into a streamliner.  

It seems that a reserved parking place in impound is in order for these guys!

I left the salt at about 4:30MDT, and arrived in Boise at 10:00MDT, having driven through rain off and on for much of the first half of the trip.  Hope it stays dry!
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »
Good luck Ray.  You are so close to getting into the 130 club.  Shift smooth and get a good speed.

Offline Tman

« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »
Return speed , record set, or any runs by Salt Cat ll please

I ran across the Salt Cat folks when they were back in tech for the class change (from XXO/BFS to XXO/BGS) inspection.  Doug told me that his down run was 224+ and the return was 223+ for a 223+ record.  For those who don't know, they added wheel pants on the rear to turn their lakester into a streamliner.  

It seems that a reserved parking place in impound is in order for these guys!

NICE!~ thanks for the news! Us Inline guys dig that!

I left the salt at about 4:30MDT, and arrived in Boise at 10:00MDT, having driven through rain off and on for much of the first half of the trip.  Hope it stays dry!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »
I see that Ellen did get some results to me -- but first I'll just post this link to the USFRA site's page of results.

http://www.saltflats.com/WOS_2012.htm

No word yet on if there'll be a delay in getting started this morning (because of yesterday afternoon's rain).  Stay tuned - and keep an eye on www.saltflats.com.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com