Author Topic: The World Record Holder to run SCTA/BNI  (Read 15040 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

Factory Teams?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 09:34:20 AM »
Yes contenders that look as though they are factory backed teams have to operate in a different environment to 'club' racers.  But it may be necessary to divorce the vehicle operating team from the publicity machinery that runs in parallel to the on track operations.  

The ABB backed 'e=motion' car operated by the Primetime team, as last years example, was a case where the vehicle operating team did no publicity, whilst ABB as the title sponsor ran and hosted a website and 'fed' the press.  And we spent hours after the event discussing whose record speed was the most appropriate to quote.  

You will recall BAR Honda have a programme that is heavily promoted for the tobacco sponsors benefit.  (Call it an F1 car if you will - but it has a 'steering' rearing wing!)  This event is being created just for the news and publicity coverage.

The problem often lies (probably) at the door of a PR department where a person with no passion for the subject and only a small amount of knowledge .... has to create a readable press release, website, or other promotion.

Apart from those with knowledge of Bonneville motorsport, the Carl Heap truck would probably not register away from the US shores.  A great shame, but a fact of life.  And if a researcher or journalist has a short time to 'find out what the fastest diesel car is' he/she will probably not find refernce to it.  I do not think Carl gets an entry in the Guinness Book of Records, although it should be there.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 11:06:39 AM »
A listing in the "Guiness Beer Record Book" (yes, I know the book was sold) for the Truck
 could have arranged by Carl if he thought it was important to list the speed there.
 I think he was more of the type to enjoy recounting how many Beers went into the construction.
The Science of Trucks is more important to more people than Streamliners.
As far as the Tabliods are concerned, the quality of the story inside is often properly judged by the cover.
The BARF1 project was another one that ate itself.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Roy Lewis/Chassis Research C/DS car:
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2006, 03:10:23 PM »
All the talk about Andy Green going 300 with the JBC oil burner, I'll bet that the Chassis Research no. 989 C/DS car will go 300 first. Looking back through some results they went 292 in 2004. If they can get a good full run I would love to see them be the first diesel over 300!

Karl Heap had enough horse power to go 400++++ if it was in a liner. I used to kid him that he had to be careful of which way he ran that thing as he might knock the earth of its axis, lucky the course did not run east-west as he could have changed the time zones! Miss him and his big green truck.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
GREEN
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 07:07:56 PM »
"I know another Green that is going to miss him if he can't get a push."
If the British liner is successful it will be remembered, but all the good
 stories will be about the evolution of the truck. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline mtkawboy

The World Record Holder to run SCTA/BNI
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 10:18:28 PM »
July 06 Motor Trend Magazine has a small article on the liner on page 34. Two 2 stage turbo 4.4 JCB Dieselmax diesels bored to 5.0. 4WD, one motor in front of driver & one in rear behind him with 2 seperate linked 6 speed trans & paddle shifters. Weighs 2.7 tons, burns 2 gallons every 2 minutes, 358 inches long, drag coefficient of 0.174, total HP of 1500. Nice looking car