Author Topic: #715 - Speed Demon  (Read 58256 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: #715 - Speed Demon
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »
The tire marks shown in the last pic have on reference to anything being discused on this thread & anybody attemting to do so would be incorrect & or misinformed.
I see there was also a reference to Ak Attack's rear end  :? that vehicle is a motorcycle!!  You know, one wheel on the back!! 
There were other more suitable choices to eliminate body roll without going to that double A arm setup that has to go into bind to work.
As for a suspension following the ground at the speed we're talking, where exactly do you think that piece of ground is going to be by the time the suspension reacts to it?   
I wonder just how drivable this setup would be if it wasn't for the traction control.
  Sid.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 09:59:11 AM »
To be successful in any endeavor, look at the people who are at the top of the food chain.  Speed Demon and Blowfish are one of the most consistent performers on the salt.  Seems like they know a little bit about applying power to the ground.  I wonder how active the traction control would be without suspension?  Formula 1 outlawed computer controlled suspension in the 90s, I wonder how quickly it reacts to the changing forces applied to them in that racing environment? :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
Just to (hopefully) clarify . . .

a simple typo . . .

"The tire marks shown in the last pic have on (NO) reference to anything being discused on this thread & anybody attemting to do so would be incorrect & or misinformed."

They were lock-up tires skipping under braking if I remember correctly.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
Stan see my post #27, they were from Burklands liner. Ray has several pictures with the car doing this and with wheels in the air.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:58:24 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 01:56:52 PM »
That's what I was trying to say . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »
Kiwi said "There were other more suitable choices to eliminate body roll without going to that double A arm setup that has to go into bind to work." If you look at the "A" arms you will see that the shaft that has the joint that connects to the rear end appears to be mounted in some sort of linear bearing or bushing that gives the shaft the ability to move forward and aft in conjunction with the arc that the four bar setup dictates. The "A" arms appear to only provide lateral location.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
A chassis builder I know refered to a link like that, used as a lateral locator as a "spade". He was commenting on a similar system I built  to locate the front axle in our modified roadster. Two quarter eliptic springs for longitudinal location and the aforementioned spade for both longitudinsl and lateral location. Come to think of it Henry used them till 1948.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:49:11 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
Thats correct Rex, it's what I call a sliding A bar that is used for lateral location. My point is, with an upper & a lower, it's fine if there is absolutely no body roll but as soon as there is anything other than perfectly level, the system will start to bind. From what I understand, this system is being used to control body roll.
With the information I get from that pic, thats my opinion.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 04:54:47 PM »
+1 on what Sid said.
Any body roll at all will cock the slides in the A arms.
The rear end is a multiple link swingarm IMHO.

Obviously a very successful car that works.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Tman

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »
I don't think there is a slide in that bottom link. Can't see one from my seat anyway.

Offline mc1984ss

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
Thank you for starting this thread! Its always nice to see some up close and personal pictures of the speed demon. Looking forward to seeing thier results again this year. Are they running the same two engines as last year?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2012, 08:23:14 AM »
The tire marks were from the end of Tom Burklands run,Ray the Rat took the picture.

Thanks for explaining that, Glen.  Those "skid marks" were made under HEAVY braking as the car wheel-hopped and bounced to a near miss with I-80. 

My personal opinion is that braking wheel hop can occur with or without help/hindrance from suspension (or lack thereof.)  Wheel hop under acceleration is another matter altogether.

Take it with a grain of salt.  I know where to find a whole bunch of it.  Matter of fact, I'll be there day after tomorrow!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 09:19:55 PM »
It's been nearly a year since I posted anything here, but since I got a batch of photos from Ron this evening -- I figured you might want to see them, too.  Seven of them -- so I'll have to make it into a pair of posts.  I'll use the text that Ron sent with the pictures.

Start quote:  "Kenny  Duttweiler and Steve Watt have been making amazing changes for George’s  Demon assault on the Salt!
Dave Daviak, Joe Galati, Nick Magley and all the rest of the Demon crew Have been working 24-7 to make this dream come true.

With this new 388 cu. Inch Duttweiler Hellfire engine.  New custom headers and the relocated new giant Precision Gen. 2  88mm  turbos

Precision Turbo and Engine Intercooler This custom Precision Intercooler that will support over 3,000 HP!

This custom Precision Intercooler lifts out of the rubber tray mount.

The new custom Precision Turbo’s are now frame mounted and stay with the car when the engine is removed.  This will save precious time for our engine changes.

Respacing our tandem wheels to allow for added growth at speeds over 470 mph.

It’s takes a lot of air to feed a Duttwhiler “HELLFIRE” engine!  Here Steve is fitting just one of our new giant air intake tubes.

Steve Watt making the pattern for our new KENNY’S COMPONENTS  carbon fiber air intake system. This new system will be able supply air to a small town.

End quoted text.  Stay tuned for the next update.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DND

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 06:48:04 AM »
Wow in the # 4 pic of the engine side shot that looks like inside the Space shuttle engine bay, boy talk about some Sano work  [ very nice indeed guys ]

G Don

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »
Respacing our tandem wheels to allow for added growth at speeds over 470 mph.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.