Author Topic: Sam Wheeler & the EZ Hook bike 'liner  (Read 27061 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Sam Wheeler & the EZ Hook bike 'liner
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »
I got this press release today - from Dick Lague.  Dick has spent lots of time video-ing at Bonneville and here presents a nice summary of Sam's current efforts.  Sam plans to ride his bike at this fall's Shootout.  NOTE:  I don't know if the You-Tube video will transfer as a link or whether you'll have to copy and paste it into the URL bar of your web browser.  Do it, whichever way you need to do it to see it.  Dick Lague alsom mentioned that this video is one part of a six-part series being done on Sam and his racing adventures.  If I get 'em -- I'll post them for us all to watch.  Finally, there are three photos -- one of the bike, one of Sam and one of Sam with Fred Fox of Parts Unlimited.  They're at the end of the release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PARTS UNLIMITED BACKS SAM WHEELER IN LAND SPEED RECORD ATTEMPT

400 MPH will be needed to set the new world record on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  Vance & Hines supplies Suzuki 500+HP Hayabusas.

Janesville, WI…July 18, 2012.  Parts Unlimited will be the major sponsor for Sam Wheeler and his motorcycle streamliner in his quest to set a new motorcycle land speed record.  Sam Wheeler of Arcadia, CA who is considered to be the best designer/constructor/driver in the motorcycle Land Speed Record (LSR) game, will attempt to break the current motorcycle land speed record of 376.156 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats this fall.  With good weather and salt conditions, Sam feels he will be capable of exceeding 400 MPH.

Sam has over 50 years of motorcycle LSR experience.  He built his first streamliner with some friends in high school.  Sam’s present liner has one of the most aerodynamic shapes in LSR racing, and for this new attempt he plans to almost double his horsepower.  Sam is switching from two Kawasaki KZ 1100 engines to a single Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 engine that will be built by Bryon Hines, of Vance and Hines.  The turbo charging system will be built by Terry Kizer of Mr. Turbo.  Sam explains his changes at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfbVf4YLRqw .

Fred Fox (Parts Unlimited CEO) has always admired Sam’s streamliner.  When he discovered that Sam was thinking about a major revision to the proven streamliner with more horsepower, a new drive system, and a new rear tire, Fred made the decision to get on board and help turn Sam’s dream to a reality.

“Sam has a brilliant plan to break this record.  I was impressed that he had designed almost every component on computer aided drawing.  It was all very well thought out.”  said Fox.  "One look at his ideas, and I was hooked.  As a mechanical engineer, I find the challenge and Sam’s solutions nothing short of brilliant.  We are happy and honored to help Sam Wheeler.  This is typical of how we support the sport of motorcycling, and it’s extra nice with a great guy and a very big goal.”

Fox then sought the help of Terry Vance at Vance & Hines to furnish support for the pit crew and turned to Performance Machine to build the new rear wheel.  Fred helped convince Goodyear to supply their very special Land Speed Record tires.  Other sponsors currently include Dynojet, Saddlemen, Belray, ICON, Z1R, Roland Sands Designs, Alpinestars and UPS (Parts Unlimited and Parts Europe’s primary shipper).  EZ Hook was given a prime sponsor logo location on the tail of the streamliner in appreciation for their many years of supporting Sam’s efforts.

“I can’t tell you how happy I am to have Parts Unlimited join our effort.  They really support the motorcycle sport and have fun doing it.  Fred Fox came to my shop in December and we talked for hours about what it would take to get this record.  He is 100% committed to working with us to finish the job.” said Sam Wheeler.

The Sam Wheeler streamliner is considered to be the most technically advanced and meticulously constructed motorcycle streamliner in the World.  The main competitors’ motorcycle streamliners are Denis Manning’s Seven and Mike Akatiff’s Ack Attack.  Manning and Akatiff have traded records back and forth since 2006 when both of them topped the existing record during the same week time trial.  Wheeler had the fastest one-way time in that event, but crash damage prevented him from doing the mandatory second run.  Many knowledgeable observers feel that Sam’s streamliner definitely has the potential to break the existing record. Any new challenger to the record will need the capability of going over 400 miles an hour.  Sam’s major competition presently is Mike Ackatiff who is the current world record holder.

Sam hopes to run at Bonneville this fall if the conditions are right and everything is ready to go.  A world record is the average of 2 runs – one in each direction on a 12 mile course.  The center mile has timing lights.  The runs must be done on the same day with a maximum of 2 hours elapsed time between the runs.  At 300 MPH approaching the timed mile it takes less than 10 seconds to cover a mile.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:15:51 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Sam Wheeler & the EZ Hook bike 'liner
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:20:35 PM »
Great article and Sam is a super guy and friend.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Great article and Sam is a super guy and friend.  :cheers:
Exactly like Glen said.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline rlague

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »
Jon, Thanks for posting this.  Sam is putting in some really long hours, and as you can see in the video he is making some very ambitious changes.  Tires, rear suspension, Hayabusa Vance&Hines engines, MoTec, etc..

Should be fun to see him go head to head with his friend Mike Akatiff.

I would be happy answer any questions that I can on Sam's effort.

Dick
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline superleggera

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »
I had the privilege of Sam giving me (and a friend) a late night tour and overview of his streamliner and his planned updates when visiting this past March.  Definitely impressive in how they compress so much into such a small space within this motorcycle high speed flyer.  I'm a big fan to be honest -- and I like his single engine approach and trusting of the engineering that goes into what he surrounds himself with.  It's hard to imagine at times he has 20yrs experience with this streamliner and its current aerodynamic packaging -- and he has been running the salt with motorcycle streamliners for decades longer.

I for one would like to see him be the 1st to break the 400mph record (both directions) with #999.
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline superleggera

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
here is the video as discussed above:

Youtube link --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9eqmF42GI
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:42:21 PM »
Great video.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »
Great video.

2nd that, Sam has it all really, smarts, competitive , history and a great guy.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline sabat

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 03:10:18 AM »
Go Sam!!!!!

Offline Jon

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 04:17:07 AM »
Great to see, the benchmark of Motorcycle Streamliners IMHO.

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Sam but he has been more than helpful when I have emailed him with questions. Not many people would take the time to help some random guy who cold emailed them from 1/2 a world away.

Dick - Does Sam have any shirts for sale?

Best of luck
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »
This land speed racing just keeps getting better and better!  :cheers:

Sam has knocked on the door - looks like he will blow the door down now!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
Good Luck Mr. Wheeler...........

See ya on the salt one more time......
Ray C Wheeler

Offline rlague

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
Sam does not have shirts for sale at this time, but we are working on it.

Dick

IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
49 years ago, the electrical conduit special...

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »
Congrats to sam wheeler I really want to see him do good.

Sam is switching from two Kawasaki KZ 1100 engines to a single Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 engine that will be built by Bryon Hines, of Vance and Hines.  The turbo charging system will be built by Terry Kizer of Mr. Turbo.  Sam explains his changes at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfbVf4YLRqw .

there is barley enough room in that bike for 1 engine..........

the only engine I remember in that bike was 1 zx-11 engine
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com