Author Topic: Salt Up date  (Read 18545 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Salt Up date
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
On the SWCTA web site is a report of the salt condition as of yesterday. Larry Volk said some water at the end of the road, #1 & #2 courses are damp and with the 90 deg. temps should be good for speed week.
Read the full report on www.scta-bni.org.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Salt Up date
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:21:48 PM »
Mayor Mike Crawford reports that yesterday (Tuesday) it rained about 3 inches in 8 minutes out on the salt.  In town there was some flooding.

Sure hope it gets hot and sunny for a few days. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
Ten day Forcast looks good, high to mid 90's with 10-15 mph winds tomorrow then tapering off a bit.  % of rain is very low.  How the forecasters get this one right. :roll:

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »
My fingers are crossed that the weather guys are paying real close attention. :| :|
No regrets

Offline mrdodge

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:19:21 AM »
Me too. It's a long way to come for rain.  :-( We've got plenty here right now !!
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs....it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:56:44 AM »
Rain is a BAD four letter word!!
We (the DLRA) have had enough rain outs down here in Australia!!

Mrdodge , where abouts would you be?? I'm in Brisbane (over on the West Island),am from Cambridge (Waikato) originally,and saw there was some bad flooding around Waikato/Bay of Plenty in last few days. Hope you OK , There had better be plenty sunshine in the US ,'cause i have seen enough rain to last me a few lifetimes.I arrive LAX on the 6th , so PLEASE have the sun out and shining!!
Cheers ,  Bob.
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline JimL

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
Just left Lands End about10 minutes ago.... No standing water but I don't know where the tide is this morning and no time to stand and watch.  Camped up in the BLM area above bend in the road, up on the hillside.......hit a couple muddy tire ruts is about all.

Thats what I saw this morning.....Off to rescue the bike from Colorado....see you all in a few weeks.

JimL

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
Wind and heat helps.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline draglc

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 06:33:59 PM »

Mrdodge , where abouts would you be?? I'm in Brisbane (over on the West Island),am from Cambridge (Waikato) originally,and saw there was some bad flooding around Waikato/Bay of Plenty in last few days. Hope you OK , There had better be plenty sunshine in the US ,'cause i have seen enough rain to last me a few lifetimes.I arrive LAX on the 6th , so PLEASE have the sun out and shining!!
Cheers ,  Bob.

hey mate we arive in lax on the 7th we wont be far behind u.. hope the weather is good..

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
Nancy says that Lynda reported today that it's a puddle (take that for what you want) near Land's End, with standing water off to the left of LE.  That's fine and common.  How common is it for the salt that's west of the end of the road to be wet?  Think of how many times you've seen vehicles stuck in the soft stuff - and remember that they're almost always over in said softness.  There you have it.

I just checked the Wendover weather.  99F right now, winds SW 13 G 19.  Temps forecast to be in the upper to lower 90s through a week from now, with a "slight chance of rain" a few of the days towards the end of next week.  Sounds like regular ol' SpeedWeek weather to me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
In a year of drought and here we go-a-prayin for hot dry weather!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mrdodge

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »

Cheers ,  Bob.

Hey Bob

Down in Hawkes Bay and the sun is finally out, Thought my feet were going webbed there for a while. We hit San Fran on the 7th and are praying for sun, lots of it, as well a some heat. Now the sun is out here, we are back to frosts as well....I hate winter!!! Look forward to seeing ya all there
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs....it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
Once again I just checked the Wendover weather.  It's 99F and 11% humidity right now (6.15P EDT), with mid- to upper- nineties forecast for the next week.  I hope the surface is ready to be baked hard -- 'cause the weather is right for doing that.  See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 12:43:11 AM »

Cheers ,  Bob.

Don't I know! Made the trip from the US this May and only got to watch the floods in Tallygaroopna. A good alternate was a visit to Melbourne for the F1 race. Still had a great tie down under in your beautiful country.

Burly Burlile

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
Well kids, rain is a good thing on the salt after it has been prepped, 3 inches might be a little much, but I'll bet it was less.  When the salt has been treated well by Mom Nature it can handle quite a bit of rain at night and you race the next day.  Rain is how the salt gets hard and smooth.... keeps it from getting like running on little marbles
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O