Author Topic: North American Eagle testing  (Read 3625 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
North American Eagle testing
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:04:47 PM »
The North American Eagle Jet Car is scheduled to test at El Mirage on June 6,7,8. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Sounds like a good reason to do some camping in the dezzz!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 04:17:16 PM »
I just circled the dates and am planning to try to make at least one day and then stay over for the June 11 SCTA meet.  Anyone that runs a F104 less wings is my kind of guy!!! NUTS!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Clay Taylor

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 11:14:29 PM »
All -

Having visited their garage in WA and seeing their first test passes, the NAE guys are crazy like foxes.   The team is made up of members with all kinds of technical backgrounds that complement their efforts.  Heck, their parachute guy designed the re-entry 'chutes for the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs.   Quite a resume', huh?

I'm already scheming on how to get out to the West Coast in June.   My best wishes to Ed, Keith, and Team NAE,

Clay
Moodus, CT

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 06:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the news JackD.  I cannot get there but as with many Brits who supported SSC, we will be watching with interest.  I just hope he does not stray on to your SCTA race course!
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:19:08 PM »
Ok, since nobody else asked, is this guy for real?

The F-104 used a GE J79 that produced 15,800 lbs thrust.

The Thrust SSC used TWO Rolls-Royce Spey 205s with 25,000 lbs thrust each.

But hold on, this is the J79 derivitive, the LM1500. Everything I see on this engine is it's usage as a shaft driven powerplant generator. Are they going to drive the wheels?

Somebody tell me how this thing is going to go 800 mph????
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
north american
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:21:51 PM »
Dean
Look at their web site, you can find it on the cover page under links.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

landracing

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 09:05:42 PM »
Breedlove was also going to use a single J79 engine running on regular fuel from Shell.

Why cant it happen, all depends on aero design.

From my reading SSC didnt use two engines for the power, they used them for balance on vehicle design. On what they thought would happen when they went over the sound barrier so engine placement was a huge part in using two engines.

Pork pie im sure can add to this.

Jon

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 10:54:44 PM »
Breedlove was also going to use a single J79 engine running on regular fuel from Shell.

And I also remember that he went home with his tail between his legs because his topped out at 676 mph and was blown away by the Thrust SSC.
Before running his theoretical speed was 800 mph. Some difference!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Jondolar

• New folks
    • http://www.landspeed.com
Dean asks, "Is this guy for real?"
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 02:16:42 AM »
Dean,

I invite you, or anyone else, to go to the site, link to the Vehicle Information page, then link to the Vehicle Performance Data PDF file done by Dryden Research employee Wayne Olson on our modified F-104. You'll find that he's calculated the vehicle in its current configuration, if run in full afterburner from a standing start, will achieve 835 MPH in 3.7 miles.

However, I should point out to you that we are using a J-79 that has been carefully balanced and modified to produce 52,000 hp. Robin Sipe of S&S Turbine Services in B.C. is one of the world "experts" on the J-79 and has had GE come to him about the kind of performance he's managed to produce from them.

Yes, Ed Shadle is very real and very experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to attempting something like this.
Jondolar
NAE Webslave & C.I.O.
"Challenges can be stumbling blocks, or stepping stones. It's just a matter of how you view them." Unknown

landracing

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 08:53:13 AM »
Quote from: Dean Los Angeles

And I also remember that he went home with his tail between his legs because his topped out at 676 mph and was blown away by the Thrust SSC.
Before running his theoretical speed was 800 mph. Some difference!

I remember it as breedlove taking in foreign objects into the engine and couldnt make repairs the second time...

Jon