Author Topic: Safety belts and head & neck restraints  (Read 975 times)

Offline USFRAMONTE

Safety belts and head & neck restraints
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »
As chief starter for World of Speed, I need to address some issues that we saw last year with the then new requirement for the use of the head and neck restraint systems for cars/trucks.
While checking the belts at the starting line one of the most prevalent problems was that the shoulder belts had not been adjusted/lengthened properly and the tightening hardware would be too far up on the chest and in many cases actually resting on the restraint device and hitting the drivers helmet. This made it extremely difficult to get the belts aligned and properly tightened.
I assume the starters at Speed Week had the same issues.  Since it has been a year now I hope that all of you have taken the time to refit youself in the vehicle and get the proper alignment of all the belts and restraints. I would like to see the adjustment hardware for the shoulder belts well below the head restraint and approximately in line with your sternum.
As an additional note, and this is just my opinion, it is much easier to tighten lap belts that we can grab and pull upward on the belt rather than pulling down.  Sometimes there just isn't enought room to get my hands in there and still pull down.