Author Topic: your thoughts  (Read 6661 times)

Offline hawkwind

your thoughts
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:34:50 AM »
G'day ,I have drawn up a draft of rule changes for the DLRA bikes which mostly follow the SCTA 2005/2006 changes  and I need your thoughts on this rule , which pertains to modified frame class .
7 F  frames must be based on an OEM type frame or a production replacement having similar geometry

I have changed 'similar' to 'same ' geometry in our draft ,because of the ambiguity of 'similar' I figured that how I interpret  similar may be not how others would , what are your thoughts on how to quantify similar ? eg.  how much more or less rake would be considered similar ,to the OEM, 1/2 degree  1or 2 degrees , 5+ degrees ? how are you guys dealing with this rule or have you any problems with it ?  
Gary
slower than most

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Re: your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:20:33 PM »
"modified frame class .
7 F  frames must be based on an OEM type frame or a production replacement having similar geometry

I have changed 'similar' to 'same ' geometry in our draft "

Gary,,if a frame is the "same " as an OEM frame geometry,,it would no longer be modified , In my view???
As far as I'm concerned, rake/trail/wheelbase mods are aimed at making a better handling package, with safety being the main consideration.
                                                           Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The blind leading the deaf.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 07:52:07 PM »
SCTA is in violation of their own ill advised bike rules now.
 Why follow them ?
Safety and equal treatment will help the program to survive.
Reinventing the wheel will only get you a ride on the short bus.
Don't make the same mistake the first time.
Thank you for asking.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline gazza414

Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:46:36 AM »
Gary, maybe you might want to share your draft with the DLRA members also on the Ozzie site.
Why follow the SCTA?
Think this thru before you go ahead and have these rules approved.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice

Offline firemanjim

your thoughts
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 02:48:20 AM »
Gazza,got to make some changes for sure,esp after the bikes went down.One from the valve stem not being metal.Don't have to follow the SCTA in lock-step fo sure, but changes for safety are warranted.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline gazza414

your thoughts
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »
Jim , I support S/S valve stems as a safety measure , although the bike that went down at Lake Gairdner failed at approx 140mph. He also had a front tyre mounted on the rear I understand. A 120 section on a R1.
Bikes on the showroom floor these days will do 180mph without a hassle and all come with rubber valve stems...... and there must be a safety factor involved too ,as we all know that large companies wouldnt expose themselves to any legal liability which could be foreseen.

I'm saving all my pennies.....
Very much the apprentice

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
If you think about
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 12:13:42 PM »
One of the fastest bikes ever did it on one of the smallest tires you have ever seen .
 Front or rear designation doesn't make any difference with tire construction but fit to the rim does.
 Part of the extra pressure is to keep it tight against the properly fitted rim.
 If the rim is too wide, the bead pressure is reduced as the tire speed goes up and the sudden loss of contact will result in the failure.
 The angled stems that are rubber can be pulled sideways to a failure and the straight up rubber stems are much less prone to that.
 Metal with caps will always be the best.
 Tubes are not a good idea in any case because they can walk around inside a tire and stress the stem and not to mention the extra heat they hold in to cause earlier failure.
You are better off with bad gas than a bad stem.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
your thoughts
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 10:27:46 PM »
Generatorshovel made an interesting point about frame geometry a few posts ago.  Obviously if you make changes to the motor, exhaust, etc., you move from production to modified.  I can see having a stock frame but being in modified.  What I have trouble with is the recent changes that move my bone stock Norton frame into special construction.  To be fair it does'nt really affect me as I only run El Mirage and modified and special construction run together there.  Its just could someone in charge tell me how a production frame can be special construction?  Choose your rules carefully.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline gazza414

your thoughts
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 06:00:45 AM »
Exactly or is that ditto

and dont follow the sheep.....
Very much the apprentice

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
your thoughts
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 05:03:57 AM »
"could someone in charge tell me how a production frame can be special construction? Choose your rules carefully."
 Just having a Norton frame makes you kinda special Nortonist, 'specially if its a slimline featherbed :wink:
                                                           Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Hans Blom

your thoughts
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 01:24:41 PM »
and then to throw an old speedway motor in your featherbed frame puts you in a whole 'nother class of special... :D

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THAT REMINDS ME
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »
The new handicap formula reminds me of and old record format with a big hole in the middle and a single song on one side. When you turn it over it says it is another song.
It still does and not much has changed has it ? :wink:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
your thoughts
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
Generatorshovel.  Its a wideline.  Much better looking than a slimline.  And speaking of records.  To quote Sinead O'Connor.  "Let me sing you a medley of my hit."  And its still a bone stock frame.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.