Author Topic: entry  (Read 3480 times)

johnrobinson

entry
« on: April 06, 2006, 03:44:55 PM »
Howdy, been working on my BSA for Speed Week, and just got around to downloading the entry form...whew, I had been planning on sending in my entry around july......after making sure the bike was actually running and all ....but over $500?... wow, although I am complaining, just relax guys, I hadn't been checking out the entry fee since 02 because I hadn't been planning on going until now, and the increase, probably warranted, just threw me ....

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Pre-entry
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 05:22:46 PM »
John:

No big hu-huu.  Send in the $315 now, and if you can't get out there, sell your registration.  We've had to do it once or twice -- it's not that uncommon, and while I suppose there's a chance that nobody will show up and need to register -- I think you'll have a good chance of getting most of your money back (if not all -- I don't remember if the sale nets you 100% or if someone keeps a few bucks out of the deal).

And sending it in plenty early gets you in the program and the early registration list, too.

PS  I don't think the $315 has changed much from '02 -- thatnumber sure sounds familiar.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

entry
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 05:30:05 PM »
Im pretty sure, but the increase was only on the entry fee at the salt, that increase if I remember right was just last year they started that. Anybody know why.

Im would think logistically they were having problem with the amount of people showing up based on pre entry, which could have been low, then suprise a huge number of people entered on the salt. Maybe this led to the shortage of something.... Or they just want the money up front before the meet. I would think of this scenario if they were low on funds.. But I dont think that's an issue.

Jon

Offline tomsmith

entry fees
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »
WOW!  My whole motorcycle (1950 Harley Hummer 125cc) isn't worth that much.  Are they emulating insurance costs for street Hayabusas ridden by 18 yr olds or something?
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
entry
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:57 PM »
Tom
Insurence porta potties, fees to the county, city, BLM, equipment upkeep,Permits, fire services, ambulance for one week operating supplies
and it goes on and on. No free rides, lunch's for the workers.
$315.00 is cheap for what you get. :lol:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Weather or not.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 08:21:05 PM »
The late entries reflect the reluctance of the runners to commit to an event that was subject to get rained out.
While many of the expenses for a short meet are the same as a long one, the daily rate should have been reduced and that savings could have passed along to the racer. But if you don't think that way, you mind must be some where else.
With only $1/2 mil or so in reserves, they play pretty close to the bone. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

johnrobinson

entry
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »
howdy, yeah I've seen a couple of "for sale" entries here before. I dunno, I guess I just wasn't prepared for $500 for a late entry is all. I do know that what I get is well worth it, even considering the time in 97 when I blew up the racecar engine on the first run...or 96 when the Pig ate its tranny on the Salt.....even those are good memories....... now!
I only paid 75$ for the BSA when I first got it...got at least 100 times that in it now.... or more....and a lot more memories......am looking over my shoulder into the living room at it right now....its' gig list is slowly getting shorter too, and with luck and more work it should run on a carb this weekend.....hopefully my homemade roller starter will fire it up, as I don't want to have to tow start it ..... I won't get the MegaSquirt from my tuner until after I get back from Greenland.....it should get easier to tune (and start) after that....theoretically anyway, as we're gonna use the MS for both fuel and ignition....I'm trying to get the Profs here at the UW to use a MS on the engine dyno for the students, to give them a programable EFI system to learn about.....

Offline tomsmith

fees
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 08:49:04 PM »
I've been away far too long.  

By the way, in the dark ages SCTA, Rusetta and Bell timing associations did not allow motorcycle members.  Bike dry lakes meets did not require any sort of membership (maybe AMA) - you just showed up.  Bonneville for motorcycles was "invitational", which I suspect means that you asked SCTA and if you had a good story they said "O.K."  Bike records set in '52 were recognized by the AMA (sort of like BUB today, I guess).  The old AMA records were apparently dumped some time before 1961 since Gary Richards still has an AMA record set that year.  Maybe they couldn't figure out what "new" class they would be in due to lack of information.  As far as I remember, classes were displacement, fuel or gas and possibly (I don't remember) streamlined or not.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
Re: Weather or not.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 12:58:51 AM »
Quote from: JackD

With only $1/2 mil or so in reserves, they play pretty close to the bone. :wink:

I thought BNI ran that event which is a separate entity from SCTA?  BNI doesn't have that much money, do they?
I'm confused :?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
BNI and SCTA
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 01:25:10 AM »
They are the same thing and people, just different financial organizations. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"