Author Topic: Maxton  (Read 3664 times)

Offline robin dripps

• New folks
Maxton
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:59:38 AM »
I have been silently following these discussions for several years, realizing that all of you had far more to offer than I.  What I have learned has directly contributed to the success of our roadster, so by way of a thank you, I wanted to tell about our recent weekend at Maxton where we now hold the  E/STR record at 149 plus mph.  
Although I first imagined landspeed racing at Bonneville, when as a teenager I ran a successful Triumph drag bike that I started to convert for the salt, I never completed the project, going to graduate school instead.  But two years ago I was persuaded to revisit the idea.  With the help of many friends our roadster started construction from scratch about 18 months ago..  While much of this is pretty standard stuff for a roadster our engine is a bit unique.  It is  a GM Bowtie V6, using a common pin crank and therefore dealing with the odd firing ignition timing.  We use GM?s splayed valve heads, and I was able to convince Stu Hilborn to modify V8 fuel injection castings for our v6 engine.  Although the V6 is often referred to as a ? sized small block, this fails to capture the quirky characteristics of this engine.  Valve train geometry did not seem high on list of the developers of these wild splayed valve heads, so much trial and error with offset lifters, pushrod location, etc. was required  We are finally on track for getting a gnuine odd firing ignition capable of handling the 9500 rpm that the engine is designed for.  
But that is all background to the amazing experience of this past weekend at Maxton where Keith, Joe, Tonya, and Donna run one of the most wonderful racing events. One incident in particular is characteristic of the aura of this meet.  While I stood waiting in line for race fuel, another roadster driver pulled up in his pickup and told me to hop in so he could show me what he thought was the best line to take on the concrete.  His analysis was brilliant and contributed to the ease with which we tracked the course.  I cannot imagine something like this happening at many venues.
We are now working on getting ready for Speedweek and look forward to meeting more of the people who hang out on this forum.
Robin Dripps
E/STR # 1986

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
maxton
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:52:12 AM »
Robin, Maxton was a warm up for something you will always remember. The 1st run between the long black lines onthe salt  will be the one you remember most. Getting there, setting up, inspection will be a blur until the week is over and you start home. Every thought will be repeated until the next year and the urge for a salt fix is getting near.Plus you get to meet some of the nicest people in motor sports on their turf(salt)

Start a diary, take lots of pictures, make lots of notes. This will mean so much in a few years for you and your family. Braging rights with proof.
BTW, congrats on the record at Maxton.

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

terry russell

Maxton
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »
Robin Maxton is a blast you folks done a great job with the car.Hope to see you in May Terry

Offline Stan Back

Maxton
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »
Congratulations!  Can we see a picture of your car?  Is it an A, B, T or ?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Robin's Roadster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 04:54:09 PM »
Unh, Glen, I think you're too late.  If memory serves -- Robin, crew, and roadster were pitted not too far from us at SpeedWeek last year.  I'll go home and take a look at the DVD of their 2005 season -- it shows the car,  lots of the fun of both venues, and there's even a shot or two of me.  You oughta beg a copy of the DVD -- it's one of the best "amateur" videos I've seen -- Nancy and I watched and enjoyed.

(Really, I know they were there.  I'm just trying to be diplomatic to you, Glen)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

Maxton
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:30:03 PM »
I found a picture in the 2005 Bonneville program and still can't tell what it is.  But the picture above it sure is nice!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RidgeRunner

Maxton
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 06:14:25 PM »
Stan, click onto http://public.fotki.com/62wagon/ecta-maxton nc/.  The roadster is #1986 in pictures #5,32,36,&79.  VERY NICE roadster, excellent pictures 62 wagon, and a great meet!  A big thanks to everyone responsible, we had a blast.

Offline Stan Back

Maxton
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 06:30:57 PM »
R/R -- Thanx for the try.  My steam-powered dial-up Mac can't get there from here!

Offline robin dripps

• New folks
Maxton
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 09:56:26 AM »
Stan,
Sorry about your dial up issues.  Here is the car having just been signed in by Keith.
Robin

Offline Stan Back

Maxton
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 11:30:26 AM »
Terrific!  See you on the salt.  Stan Back, San Berdoo Roadsters