Author Topic: Brand new at this please help !  (Read 83999 times)

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Brand new at this please help !
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »
your simple aglebra shows that drag has more of an effect.

so how can both answers be correct with different outcomes. Help me out here tortoise
If your algabra equation isn't showing whether drag or power is a more significant factor to top speed then what is it showing ?

Remember earlier when I mentioned you had to be very careful about definitions?

The problem here is actually the word problem not the math. You asked what on the surface appeared to be a very simple question.
You basically asked "if you make equal changes to drag and power" is one more effective than the other?
The word problem that taper is holding to is actually a flawed statement with respect to your intent I believe.

A 25% reduction in drag is not equivalent to a 25% increase in power because of the way fractions and percentages work.

It suddenly dawned on me when I recalled tortises comment early in the thread regarding percentages of change and when I used a 50% change it was very obvious logically what was going on.

Lets go to the 50% change because it is a bit more intuitively obvious.

If you cut drag by 50% you are reducing drag to 1/2 of its original value. Increasing power 50% IS NOT an equivalent change, the equivalent change is doubling power. That becomes obvious  when you look at the fractions instead of as percentages. Drag reduction to 1/2 its original value if you invert that fraction it becomes 2/1 --------- that is the correct "equivalent" change in power, not a 50% increase.

1.5 x power is not the reciprocal of 0.5

If you use whole number fractions instead you can easily see that a 50% increase in power is really 3/2 of the original power, where the true reciprocal is 2/1 or 4/2.

Likewise the 25% reduction in drag is really 3/4 of the original so the reciprocal change to power is 4/3 = 1.33333 not 125%.

The word problem as stated does not actually do what you intended which was to determine what equivalent changes in power and drag rate with each other. It is a subtle problem with percentages that bites people all the time!

In very small percentage changes the error is so small it can be pretty much ignored, for example a 2% reduction in one thing vs a 2% increase in another.
The 2% reduction if reduced to a common fraction is 49/50, so its reciprocal is 50/49 which is 1.020408. The error being so small it gets lost in most cases. If however you make big changes however that error quickly grows.

Taper is correct if we stick to the word problem exactly as stated.
If how ever you restate the word problem to match what I believe was your intent, and how I saw your first query is "if you make equivalent changes to drag and power do they produce the same results?".

Restated that way and doing the proper math to find the reciprocal of the drag reduction they are exactly equal. BUT you will notice that your power increase as a percentage will always need to be larger than the equivalent reduction in drag.

In the real world land racing cars are always running at the limits of the technology and the reductions in drag that are possible within the rules and the increases in power available in the rules are usually small. Drag reduction gets very much harder as you drop the drag, where power is a bit more open to increase if your willing to change engine displacement, add a blower or switch to a fuel class etc.

This is why my first calculations where the terminal speed was held constant checked out exactly but when we changed the form of the calculation to vary drag and power by a percentage and see how the terminal speed changed we started to see the error.

Larry
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:01:16 PM by hotrod »

Offline taper41

« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
My ultimate goal was to find out if there is one factor that is more effective than the other for top speed. Or if they would produce the same result

What I'm getting out of this Larry, is that using percentages to find this is not the correct way to go about it, and fractions are ?

The whole point is to make EQUAL changes and find the result.

are percentages the wrong way to go about this because your decreasing one and adding on the other ?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2012, 02:14:16 PM »
Homework for taper41

OK, I'm taking this as a challenge; can I get you to work this out for yourself? For variety, let's go drag racing instead of land speed racing. The most important factor in drag racing is the power/weight ratio. Highest power to weight wins, pretty much. The same principle is illustrated.

You have a Chevelle that weighs 4,000 pounds and has a 400 hp small block.

1. What is the power/weight ratio?
2. How much power would you have if you installed a stroker kit, new heads and manifold and camshaft, increasing the power by 25%
3. What would the power/weight ratio be then?
4. If instead of increasing the power, you gutted the interior, installed fiberglass doors and front end, plastic windows, etc.,  decreasing the weight by 25%, what would it weigh then?
5. What would the power/weight ratio be then?
6. If you stayed at 4,000 pounds, how much power would you need to get the same power/weight ratio as you got by lightening the car?

Don't just say "yeah, right". Answer the questions.

As I see now that hotrod is trying to explain to you, you accidentally asked a trick, deceptive question.

If you now ask which is more significant for drag racing, weight or power, I will strangle you.

Offline taper41

« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »
I didn't realize that this was such a tricky question, and now I do. But clearly there is a definitive answer,  the right math has to be applied to find it.  Obviously like hotrod has stated this is a question of using the right math.

Like hotrod said, the equivalent change cannot be correct with percentages. (which i did not realize)
soo I'm assuming if the fractions are the right math
the exact vehicle with the drag changed reset to original values and power changed to the EQUAL amount
the the top speed would turn out exactly the same, right?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
I'll shoot this dog unless you answer question 1.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:37:44 PM by tortoise »

Offline taper41

« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
hahahaha. ok ok

10:1

now answer

Offline tortoise

« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
That's weight/power. Try again, expressing it as a decimal fraction, with the units.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:55:59 PM by tortoise »

Offline Geo

« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2012, 05:00:54 PM »
Well done drift to thinking about this from a different direction!   :cheers:  I'm auditing this class because it's interesting and I am exercising my brain.  :-D

taper41, Don't ask me to do your homework.  :cry:

Geo

Offline taper41

« Reply #263 on: June 07, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »
That's weight/power. Try again, expressing it as a decimal fraction, with the units.

If you divide 4000 by 400 is 10.0

divide 400 by 4000 is .10

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
But even a dummy like me knows that one is weight/power and the other is power/weight.  And I ain't, nor have ever, been school taught.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline taper41

« Reply #265 on: June 07, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »
 4000/400 = 10. = weight to power         400/4000 = .10 = power to weight

He knows what i meant

ok so go on tortoise

Offline tortoise

« Reply #266 on: June 07, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
4000/400 = 10. = weight to power         400/4000 = .10 = power to weight

He knows what i meant

ok so go on tortoise

I'm tired of guessing what you meant.   .10 what per what?
We need the units. I'm going out now. Someone else help, if you want.
Be strict. I say he can put up or shut up, but that's just me.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #267 on: June 07, 2012, 06:09:54 PM »
Not many people are following this.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline tortoise

« Reply #268 on: June 07, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »
Yeah, I taught a few middle school remedial arithmetic classes. Never drew many spectators.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #269 on: June 07, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »
Not many people are following this.
I are.  :-) Wayno