Author Topic: Brand new at this please help !  (Read 83990 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Brand new at this please help !
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »
I still smell a rat. Taper says again and again that he is leaving, only to return more often than Freddy Kruger.

He asks a question, ignores the answers and keeps going back to the same theme. Frankly, I suspect he is one of those annoying types like Propster who only enjoys stirring up the forum members and creating dissention in the ranks. When they tire of their game, they move on to another forum and start their game over again.

Defend him if you will, but I think that you're being snookered.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ  (SFI-20 suit on, so flame away!)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline taper41

« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
I'll Leave if people stop replying to what i have to say, if this bothers you so much go complain somewhere else.
I never really understood why people instigate online, seems to be a maturity thing.  If you don't like the show on T.V. then change the channel.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »
Why the hell do you ask if you don't want real answers. Maybe you should leave.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fastman614

« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2012, 02:52:16 PM »
Taper..... It has long been my belief that the high points of some peoples days is to go on to THIS SITE and find a typographical error which they will point out in a probable attempt to makethemselves feel superior (about something).... Real life is also made up of people with lives as exciting as that (and lets see what may happen in regards to the "glaring typo" two lines above).

To some of the rest of you, in a perfect world, we would ALL be speaking the same language.... In THIS world, we do NOT have that luxury. A few posts back, I referred to the engineers and other technicians that work for the same company for which I work. We have this language "problem" between those of "Francophone" vis-a-vis "Anglophone" background. We manage to get the job done even though extra time in communicating must take place to be sure that we DO "get the point"! In this real world in which we live, for better or for worse, globalization IS TAKING PLACE! If all that you, as natural born (American) English speaking citizens of the USA (and, by extension, the rest of us in the "Western World") have left to pick at is incorrect grammar, spelling, word syntax etc., then you (and the rest of us) really do not have much left, do we?

I could go on about my own children and grandchildren, their arrogant sense of entitlement and several other things as well, but I DO NOT SEE any of my children or grandchildren coming to me and proferring a plan for educational success (and, by extension, occupational success afterword) and asking for help as NEEDED (NOT as desired) in order to achieve that plan. Is it MY "fall-down" that I did not properly instill the ethical values into their hearts and minds during the years in which they lived the "quintessential good life" while growing up in my house?.... Perhaps.... Or is the problem systemic?... Perhaps....

So, here is taper41 - a what? - in some of your eyes, perhaps nothing more than a "trouble-maker".... in some of the others' eyes, perhaps little more than a source of entertainment.... to yet others, he is perhaps a bright spot in the future.... Personally, I hope he DOES become a competent, knowledgeable, skilled and practical engineeer!

But what the rest of you think or feel about him....I don't know..... but..... the choice is entirely yours!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline taper41

« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
apparently you are paying attention on what insult you can come up with next, rather than reading some of the answers given.

There has been answers given for the same question that contradict each other. Read farther back and you will see that.  I would like the right answer, but if I am given two that are polar opposites then am I just supposed to assume one is right.

Just because you give me and answer, and its right because you say so, doesn't mean anything without evidence or some sort of information proving it, try to win a debate or a grant that way see how far it gets you.

I dont want to start an argument just read what has been given, one answer is that the change would result in the same performance the other says it would not.

Offline taper41

« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
Taper..... It has long been my belief that the high points of some peoples days is to go on to THIS SITE and find a typographical error which they will point out in a probable attempt to makethemselves feel superior (about something).... Real life is also made up of people with lives as exciting as that (and lets see what may happen in regards to the "glaring typo" two lines above).

To some of the rest of you, in a perfect world, we would ALL be speaking the same language.... In THIS world, we do NOT have that luxury. A few posts back, I referred to the engineers and other technicians that work for the same company for which I work. We have this language "problem" between those of "Francophone" vis-a-vis "Anglophone" background. We manage to get the job done even though extra time in communicating must take place to be sure that we DO "get the point"! In this real world in which we live, for better or for worse, globalization IS TAKING PLACE! If all that you, as natural born (American) English speaking citizens of the USA (and, by extension, the rest of us in the "Western World") have left to pick at is incorrect grammar, spelling, word syntax etc., then you (and the rest of us) really do not have much left, do we?

I could go on about my own children and grandchildren, their arrogant sense of entitlement and several other things as well, but I DO NOT SEE any of my children or grandchildren coming to me and proferring a plan for educational success (and, by extension, occupational success afterword) and asking for help as NEEDED (NOT as desired) in order to achieve that plan. Is it MY "fall-down" that I did not properly instill the ethical values into their hearts and minds during the years in which they lived the "quintessential good life" while growing up in my house?.... Perhaps.... Or is the problem systemic?... Perhaps....

So, here is taper41 - a what? - in some of your eyes, perhaps nothing more than a "trouble-maker".... in some of the others' eyes, perhaps little more than a source of entertainment.... to yet others, he is perhaps a bright spot in the future.... Personally, I hope he DOES become a competent, knowledgeable, skilled and practical engineeer!

But what the rest of you think or feel about him....I don't know..... but..... the choice is entirely yours!

Thank you, Fastman

Can you explain the difference, between yours and tortoise's answer on the same question?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »
When they tire of their game, they move on to another forum and start their game over again.
Actually, he's doing the same thing on another forum (ecomodder.com) as we speak. We've tried to be helpful to him there, as well. There's a very useful aerodynamic & rolling resistance power and mpg calculator on that site, which would answer his questions if he'd only use it. But no.

Try it, taper. Post your result.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »
taper41,
Your words follow....
Thank you, Fastman

Can you explain the difference, between yours and tortoise's answer on the same question?

My question - can you copy the the two relevant answers and post them together?.... I am just finishing my coffee (I did not have breakfast this morning, so I'm having an early lunch) and will not be responding until much later....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2012, 03:33:42 PM »
Taper,

I do not pretend to know more about the subject than fastman. Nothing could be further from the truth.
I simply noticed a quirk in the way you phrased the question. Reducing something 25% is a greater change than increasing something 25%.

Which would give a greater change: reducing drag 100% or increasing power 100%?

Think!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:35:48 PM by tortoise »

Offline taper41

« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
Taper,

I do not pretend to know more about the subject than fastman. Nothing could be further from the truth.
I simply noticed a quirk in the way you phrased the question. Reducing something 25% is a greater change than increasing something 25%.

Which would give a greater change: reducing drag 100% or increasing power 100%?

Think!

I did not say you claimed that you knew more, So what your saying is that because one is being decreased it causes a great changing than adding the same percent, so i was wrong in measuring the difference in that way. So how would you measure this question on a fair scale. shouldn't power cubed and drag squared be interchangeable.

Offline taper41

« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2012, 03:48:28 PM »
is a better way of putting it, if you DECREASE the horsepower or DECREASE the aero drag (changing one while the other remains the same) by the same percentage the results will be identical?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
So how would you measure this question on a fair scale.
Speed will be directly proportional to the cube root of power/drag.*
shouldn't power cubed and drag squared be interchangeable.
Power is force x distance per time. If you double the speed, you need 4x the force, and must push against it 2x the distance in unit time, thus (2 x 4) need 8x the power.

*edit: " I'm a bit sloppy here, aren't I?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:12:04 PM by tortoise »

Offline taper41

« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »
So is that a yes it would have the same result?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
is a better way of putting it, if you DECREASE the horsepower or DECREASE the aero drag (changing one while the other remains the same) by the same percentage the results will be identical?

Try reading what you write before you post.

If you  decrease the power, you will go __________?
If you decrease the drag, you will go __________?

Is this the identical result?

Offline taper41

« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »
Your right my mistake

so how would you measure them fairly?

I just want to understand where fast man is coming from in that they should result in the same