Author Topic: Brand new at this please help !  (Read 83994 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Brand new at this please help !
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
Maybe a student on a visa without a command of the lanague that John posesses?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline taper41

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
so the question that i asked has nothing to do with landspeed racing ?

Either way if it was an easy question then do you have an answer for it ?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »
Actually, it is a complex question. To every complex question there is a simple answer. This answer is always wrong.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
Taper41,
You must realize that there are people on this site that that feel as if they have a "god-given right" to having their opinions accepted as the official words of the the entity from whom they feel that they have that right....

Now, I have looked through the rules of posting on here and I have NOT YET found any rule that states or infers that ALL USERS MUST PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS NO MATTER HOW FRIVLOUS AND IRRELEVENT THAT THEY FEEL THE OTHER PERSONS POSTING TO BE.... Someone may correct me and quote the "mandatory participation clause" here any time as I would welcome seeing it....

In my work life in Canada, I work in mines on the ore grinding/processing equipment as a field technician... the company for whom I work is Montreal based and is fully bilingual... I work with many skilled and knowledgeable people in the hand-on mechanical and electrical ends as well as with engineering people whose first language is NOT ENGLISH.... and those people, by extension are working with people whose first language is NOT FRENCH! (Canada has TWO OFFICIAL LANGUAGES).... Does this result in misunderstandings at times? Does it rsult in having to re-ask questions posed in different ways etc?.... YES!.... Do we get the job done?... YES!.... Do we mock, scorn or otherwise ridicule our co-workers for their imperfect abilities to understand each other the "first time?.... ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Taper41, the problem on this thread isn't you.... and I for one have been pleased and even entertained by following this thread - I do wish that those of us who are the "doers" amongst this land speed obsession had far better theoretical knowledge on the subjects of your post ....unfortunately most of us don't....

I, for one, would welcome you into our milieu anytime you showed up  - just - when we are thrashing to make a car ready to run, don't stop us and ask questions.... unless you see something "glaringly irregular" that we seem to have missed (like a pinched cable in a body joint or something)

I, for one, also wish you very well in your educational endeavours(the word being spelled the Canadian way - eh)....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline taper41

« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »
Thank you fastman.

Offline rgn

« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »
I'm new on this forum also Taper, and I can understand that you would like some answers to your many questions.  You have ignored my last two posts, and that you are entitled to do.  I believe I took the time to provide a concise answer your first question?  

There are a few things at play here, your approach is a passive-aggressive one, and personally I don't appreciate it.  Secondly, if you challenge peoples abilities or knowledge, or try to make them look foolish, well you can expect a hostile response.  

One does not go to church on Sunday, to challenge the tenants of religion.  And you are in church here my friend if you have not noticed?  

Like it or not, you are being an antagonist, and in all arguments your opponents will look for weakness.  Your use of small i for example is going to be fair game.  

You said earlier on:

I know that some of these question i have might be elementary to you folks that are veterans at this but please help to inform me of some of the simple questions due to a study that i have been doing for physics....

May I ask you what exactly are you studying, is it a formal or informal pursuit?  What is the exact nature of the course?  And finally the simple questions you talk about, what are they?  Can you list them, and how will the answers assist you?

aerodynamic drag forces increase by the square of the rate of speed change drag horsepower increases by the cube of the speed change

larry so how is a 25% change in either going to end in the same result ?

Taper, could you please take the time to answer this question of yours?  You ask in a manner that suggests you know the answer to the question you have asked here?

Secondly, here is quotation from a page on Wikipedia you may find useful:

"the overall drag of an object is characterized by a dimensionless number called the drag coefficient, and is calculated using the drag equation. Assuming a more-or-less constant drag coefficient, drag will vary as the square of velocity. Thus, the resultant power needed to overcome this drag will vary as the cube of velocity. The standard equation for drag is one half the coefficient of drag multiplied by the fluid mass density, the cross sectional area of the specified item, and the square of the velocity."

And here is a link to the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:05:00 PM by rgn »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
Cheese and rice y'all is giving me a headache :?
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline taper41

« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
I'm new on this forum also Taper, and I can understand that you would like some answers to your many questions.  You have ignored my last two posts, and that you are entitled to do.  I believe I took the time to provide a concise answer your first question?  

There are a few things at play here, your approach is a passive-aggressive one, and personally I don't appreciate it.  Secondly, if you challenge peoples abilities or knowledge, or try to make them look foolish, well you can expect a hostile response.  

One does not go to church on Sunday, to challenge the tenants of religion.  And you are in church here my friend if you have not noticed?  

Like it or not, you are being an antagonist, and in all arguments your opponents will look for weakness.  Your use of small i for example is going to be fair game.  

You said earlier on:

I know that some of these question i have might be elementary to you folks that are veterans at this but please help to inform me of some of the simple questions due to a study that i have been doing for physics....

May I ask you what exactly are you studying, is it a formal or informal pursuit?  What is the exact nature of the course?  And finally the simple questions you talk about, what are they?  Can you list them, and how will the answers assist you?

aerodynamic drag forces increase by the square of the rate of speed change drag horsepower increases by the cube of the speed change

larry so how is a 25% change in either going to end in the same result ?

Taper, could you please take the time to answer this question of yours?  You ask in a manner that suggests you know the answer to the question you have asked here?

Secondly, here is quotation from a page on Wikipedia you may find useful:

"the overall drag of an object is characterized by a dimensionless number called the drag coefficient, and is calculated using the drag equation. Assuming a more-or-less constant drag coefficient, drag will vary as the square of velocity. Thus, the resultant power needed to overcome this drag will vary as the cube of velocity. The standard equation for drag is one half the coefficient of drag multiplied by the fluid mass density, the cross sectional area of the specified item, and the square of the velocity."

And here is a link to the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

rgn im not trying to start any trouble or be an antagonist of any sort, came to this forum because i am specifically interested in speed and what effects it
I am sorry if I come off as being passive aggressive, I have ready a lot of formulas and answers along with what you gentleman have told me, so if I question a response it is either because i do not understand it, or because I might have read something that contradicts it, not because i don't believe what you are telling me. All I am trying to do is learn what I can from people that I believe would be experts on this field.

I understand the formula for the question I had just asked. The fact that the drag is squared and power cubed is irrelevant when it comes to the percentage of which they are changed, so they are essentially interchangeable, or the equivalent to each other when it comes to the equation of top speed, right? 

Offline rgn

« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »
You have answered none of my questions.

I understand the formula for the question I had just asked. The fact that the drag is squared and power cubed is irrelevant when it comes to the percentage of which they are changed,

Why? Could you please explain your statement?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:33:39 AM by rgn »

Offline taper41

« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
I just began my program in auto aero design/ engineering.

How will it assist me ? Well its more out of interest that me having to get my homework done today, but I'm sure at some point it will be useful in the classroom as well as my pursuit after college.
and its something that i love to converse over.

If I understood exactly what the formula meant then I wouldn't be asking

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2012, 01:29:36 AM »
What school? RIT? Is that "program" in the engineering college?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline taper41

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »
no it is not, i don't go to school in Rochester, Lincoln Institute in NY

as much as I would like to continue talking about this jack, I think I have wore out my welcome.

Offline jl222

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
no it is not, i don't go to school in Rochester.

as much as I would like to continue talking about this jack, I think I have wore out my welcome.

Suspicions confirmed

JL222
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:21:32 PM by jl222 »

Offline fastman614

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
So, there you go taper.... because you don't go to school in Rochester, someones suspicions are confirmed.... that would be like saying to a student living in my home town .... so you don't go to school in Vernon..... suspicions confirmed.... the person perhaps not thinking that another college in the next town, 25 miles away, is where the student DOES attend school.....

hmmmmm.....

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline jl222

« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »
So, there you go taper.... because you don't go to school in Rochester, someones suspicions are confirmed.... that would be like saying to a student living in my home town .... so you don't go to school in Vernon..... suspicions confirmed.... the person perhaps not thinking that another college in the next town, 25 miles away, is where the student DOES attend school.....

hmmmmm.....

Fastman I've been wrong lots of times and I was a tile contractor fo 25 yrs and didn't have any problems with what was said.
  BUT I didn't see ''Lincoln institute in NY'' in Taper41's original post and think it was modified.

JL222
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:18:36 PM by jl222 »