Author Topic: Question about motorcycle shocks  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re: Question about motorcycle shocks
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »
Dunno if my input matters much as I'm a new guy... but running the rear and hack suspension soft like I would on the
street felt nice but because things could bounce around a lil bit I got more wheel spin that way... I jacked my pressures
in the rear suspension way up so I could try to make it as stiff as I could and noticed no difference handling wise but
did appear to get less wheel spin... So the rigid rear seems to be the ticket and makes building a lot less crazy as well.

Personally I'm going rigid next year... you couldn't feel the difference on the surface but rpm recording vs speed recording
says letting the back end bounce is a bad idea for going fast out there.

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:03 AM »
I ran for the first time this year, not very fast, 81.5mph on my Indian with custom built hardtail frame & shortened 850 Suzuki forks, with 40psi in both tyres & it handled beautifully with steering being achieved simply by shifting body weight. I felt no bumps, maybe because of the great course....or the adrenalin?
I'm building another frame for 2014 & that will also be hardtail. One good point brought up earlier is that chain tension remains constant.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline bak189

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 07:44:25 PM »
IF....you race LSR with a sidecar (with passenger of course) no suspension on the rear is the way to go......rear suspension at high speed will make the sidecar outfit "wallow" this in turn will effect the front end of the sidecar, and really make the handling "a handfull".......no problem up to about 130mph.
after that with rear suspension....hang on............................................

However, as has been noted there are now shocks on the market that will handle high speed bumps.....have not tried any todate..........................
Question authority.....always

Offline Hellcat Customs

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 10:49:09 PM »
Not allowed to have a monkey for the LSR Sidecar Class under SCTA's rule book... I had piggyback shocks on the rear and
hack swingarm and I put air fittings in the fork caps... running no air in the front and 3bar in the rear and hack shock worked
great... My hacks wheel is almost mid ship so even when breaking the platform doesn't want to dive but it makes for a lot of
effort steering around corners on city streets...

New frame will be a ground up build, no suspension on the hack or rear period. Gonna try to run a really thin tire on the hack
 and bodywork will be a must too... already starting for next year.

Offline TurboCat

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »
Aw...and I so wanted to ride shotgun.   :-D

Offline rgn

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 09:45:18 AM »
If you get the chance to watch a rear facing camera on a Motogp machine going down the straight at 330 kph, it is surprising how much work the shock is doing, and the amount of distance the suspension travels.  

Offline Hellcat Customs

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:48 PM »
If you get the chance to watch a rear facing camera on a Motogp machine going down the straight at 330 kph, it is surprising how much work the shock is doing, and the amount of distance the suspension travels.  

I'm really not surprised bud... I know how hard the rear suspension works, that's why we ran adjustable shocks on the bike and the hack...
prob we found out on the salt is every time the back end hops just a hair the way our swingarms are set up the chain wants to wrap and
the motor and turbo wanna go and we start a slight wheel spin...once the top run of the chain tightens up again it wants to again pull the
swingarm up and we keep compounding the slip. This slip makes us have to back out slightly to get the tire planted again. A GP bike swingarm
tries to pull the tire through the pavement when power is put on... the HD is a lil backwards. Its all based on the swingarm pivot in relation to
the axle. The rigid rearend just helps to eliminate some of the poor design qualities in the factory chassis. Basically we either design a chassis
and build in anti squat like a modern race bike or we make it so the wheel can't change its distance and relation to the drive sprocket... for a
short 3mile run, making it rigid is a cheap and bearable solution... if we where road course guys then the chassis redesign would be a must...

good input once again, thanks