Author Topic: Are 3/4" aluminum heim joints OK for 4 links and drag l  (Read 2990 times)

Offline askotto

• New folks
Are 3/4" aluminum heim joints OK for 4 links and drag l
« on: March 31, 2006, 08:28:51 PM »
I have 3/4" aluminum heim joints on my Lakester because I never read anything in the rule book about not being able to use them. Are they legal for the SCTA, ECTA and the U.S.F.R.A.?

Also, if the rack and pinion travel limits the front wheel from turning so far as to "flop over", do I still need stops at the spindle?

And just one more question, if the four links are located inside the body with a full belly pan, do I still need the restraints on the front of the four links?

Thanks.
Otto

Offline russ jensen

al heims
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 11:06:17 PM »
:shock: your heini is depending on parts like this /your not fighting wt/ throw the al ones away{ or take to swap meet} and buy the very best you can find I don't have current rule book but this is not a place to cut corners legal or not.
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 06:56:57 PM »
My personal obsevation is I like stops. During your spin, the steering wheel will be easily ripped from your hands going from end to end on a rack. The other reason most of our vehicles do not need a tight turning radius.
Next question if the belly pan is made of 1/4" steel plate the inspectors "may" by off on it. Write to Mike Stewart on that one. What would .060" aluminum do to stop a 20" 3/4" round broken link.  Good Luck..J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline askotto

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 11:11:20 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!

I originally went with the aluminum heim's to help reduce the unsprung weight of an already light aluminum C4 Vette IRS setup. Interestingly, the stock vette's have CAST aluminum "dog bone" 4 links that are a wimpy 5/8" diameter! I chose 3/4" billet aluminum heims and 4 link bars to optimize the rear tires chance of following the contour of the salt or dirt. I figured if the aluminum heims and 4 link bars were strong enough for 900 HP sprint cars with huge tires and extreme for and aft and extreme side loads on the heims, they should hold the 650 HP I have with skinny tires and comparatively low forces on them. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to changing everything over to steel.

I'm going to install restraints on the front of the 4 link bars, as recommended, thanks.  Will this method be acceptable as restraints? 1/4" stainless aircraft cable wrapped and clamped around the front end of the bars with the other end looped and clamped around the top frame rail in such a manner the bar can't reach the ground.

I'm also installing steering stops at the Anglia spindles. Easy to do

Thanks.
Otto