Author Topic: Gary Hart  (Read 995 times)

Offline AJR192

Gary Hart
« on: June 11, 2023, 01:50:04 AM »
I saw today that Gary Hart has passed away. The 787 was one bad fast Studebaker. Rest in Peace, Gary.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Gary Hart
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 06:22:13 AM »
what a very sad news,

Gary and his team had the real Bonneville Spirit,

He had a big heart for everyone....and enjoyed every day.....I remember vey well his wide smile when I brought him a poster of his Studebaker with the parachute behind after the car went through the timing light....he was so happy for that photo

another one of the older Bonneville generation left...R.I.P....you will be missed

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 07:53:12 AM »
He was a good friend and an amazing man.  He raced at our local drag strip the year it opened in 1962.  Later in life he traveled the midwest match racing his Willys gasser and he put on quite a show.  He sold the gasser to build the Studebaker that he ran at Bonneville.  Gary recently built a clone of the Willys.  Last years rule book cover photo was the Studebaker that he had raced on the salt. Gary was a master fabricator.

I will miss him.
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 11:26:46 AM »
Gary was driving this car when I met him at Maxton way back when.  I watched him smoke the tires as he left the line - and when I teased him about it later he gave me a silly-ass smile that I'll never forget.  Rest in Peace, Gary.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »
Driver's view - Gary Hart's Buick
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 07:02:17 PM »
Most of us are old farts & when one of us make out last pass, those who knew that person reflect on their memories & post them to our obituary but unfortunately that person never gets to hear how much they were liked.
How about we start a story telling thread about the living racers so they can chime in & we'll all get to soak it up! Something like a home thread & we can all just start adding names to become sub sections. It could make for some good entertainment.
I didn't know Gary but Race in Peace M8!
  Sid.

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 08:25:13 PM »
That's a great idea.  I am not a good writer, but I will actually start one here that envolves Gary Hart and George Potent. 

Last year, while Gary and I were at a hot rod event,  he asked me to do him a favor.  Gary knew he was terminal but he had plans to attend Speedweek.  He had been asked, by the present owner of his old race car, to be an honorary crew chief.  George Potent attends this car show and I think he may like this show because he can pretty much enjoy it without a lot of attention.  I am speculating on this.  Since I recognize him, I usually shake his hand and say hello.  He has no idea who I am. :-).

Gary said that if I saw George, could I ask him to come by Gary's car and say hello.  I found George and I explained that Gary would like to meet him.  Later that afternoon when I checked in with Gary he was so happy.  George had came by and spent a long time visiting about Bonneville, cars, and racing.  Before he left Gary he encouraged Gary to seek out the Speed Demon pits and spend time there with him.  He also gave Gary his contact information and told them that if he needed anything to help with his trip and his time at Speedweek, to get in touch with him.  Later I found George again and I told what a good thing he had done.

I have always admired George Potent for his accomplishments. but after what he did for Gary, I admire the man.

As a side note, it was George's car the "Blowfish" that broke our record. :-)

Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 11:11:20 PM »
GodSpeed Gary.... Condolences to close friends and family.... Gary was one of the good guys.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 04:59:05 PM »
I very sadden by the loss of Gary Hart, I knew him well in the Studebaker world, he accomplished so much in his racing life and personally life, my prayers and condolences got to his family and friends, we lost a legend in racing.
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine