Author Topic: Belly tank lakesters  (Read 39236 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Belly tank lakesters
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
Time WARPS :?  here we go again---I am with Rich--V-8 60--build yourself an OT car: I know folks that are-

The Inline 6s and the FLAT heads are limited to try to keep them to Triditional engs by their displacment limitations.

My car is a "HYBRID" F-105 and F-86 tanks from the 50s could have been built then--but the HP from the eng I chose wasn't available untill the 80's unblown-- 

TIME, technology and RESEARCH are subject to change all things  so far we have not gone the NHRA or Nascar route---I have only been at this 10 years--look at what has happened

Classic class, RMRs---by legislation--- the records in lots of classes are rising  each year---the one that blows my mind is AA/GL from a 270 min in 99 when I got involved to a 317 pass this year---

What has changed---HP and Car Shapes and better UNDERSTANDING of what one needs to do to become faster within the class rules--the ROADSTERS are a good example!  AS long as the the incentive---recognition by your peers  ie HATS and trophies remain---SOME will go faster by paying the price in time and treasure to "GITER DONE"

Heres to "gittnr done"   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Would someone tell me one more time where to find spell check---lol
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:07:56 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »
I don't think the spell check has anything to do with the web site. If I misspell something, and I just did with anything, the word is underlined with a squiggly line in red. If I right click on that it gives suggestions plus the option to include the misspelled word in the dictionary or to ignore it.

I think the spell check is actually part of the computer operating system or maybe the browser. That's just a guess on my part as I'm definitely not a computer guru.

Pete

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2012, 12:31:56 PM »
Spell check is built in to several browsers Firefox being one of them that does it.
Internet exploder does not have that feature, although you might be able to get a spell check addon for it.

Larry

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »
You made my point for me... why are there XF and XXO classes designed specifically for Model T, Model A and Flathead engines? The Model T engine is a four-cylinder that is easily covered by the cubic inch class breaks... why shouldn't it run against an Ecotech or Honda 4-cylinder? If someone wants to run a 4 cylinder and be competitive, there were already classes that covered them... Why did they need their own V4 and V4F classes? Why the need for the XO and XXO classes?

O'cock, you're not making any point.  Now that you've owned your tank for a whole day you should try what Mr. Jack suggests:

It amazes me when someone new to an activity first wants the rules changed or new rules made so they can run what they want. I think the more logical approach should be to enter into the activity, establish your credibility, and then follow the established procedures to either get rules revised or start a new class.

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Brad54

• New folks
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
You made my point for me... why are there XF and XXO classes designed specifically for Model T, Model A and Flathead engines? The Model T engine is a four-cylinder that is easily covered by the cubic inch class breaks... why shouldn't it run against an Ecotech or Honda 4-cylinder? If someone wants to run a 4 cylinder and be competitive, there were already classes that covered them... Why did they need their own V4 and V4F classes? Why the need for the XO and XXO classes?

O'cock, you're not making any point.  Now that you've owned your tank for a whole day you should try what Mr. Jack suggests:

It amazes me when someone new to an activity first wants the rules changed or new rules made so they can run what they want. I think the more logical approach should be to enter into the activity, establish your credibility, and then follow the established procedures to either get rules revised or start a new class.
You have me at a disadvantage--you know me, but I don't know you. Have we met?
Oh, and there's no apostrophe in my name.

As for owning my tank "for a whole day," well, you've got me there.
I woke up yesterday and decided "Hey, I'd like to go Bonneville racing and hang out with all the cool guys..." went online, found a tank, bought it and had it here in my shop before noon... never gave it a moment's thought before then... didn't bother looking for an affordable tank for over a year, didn't go to Bonneville last year and crawl around pits studying them, didn't read everything I could about them for the last two years, didn't look everywhere I could to find dimensions to build a buck to hammer my own because I couldn't find one and didn't want a fiberglass one... nope. Just woke up and decided "I want a belly tank" and picked one up, just like that, and have now owned it for a whole day. (by the way... I joined here officially because now I can say "I have," rather than be one of the countless Walter Mittys who never get past saying "I want")

Meanwhile, could you please address the point I made earlier: if vintage engines have their own class to preserve the history of the era, and classic coupes and sedans have their own classes, and the Vintage Category "is specifically intended for the lovers of antique iron," as the rule book says, why such vehement opposition to a separate teardrop category in the Streamline and Lakester classes? It's not like there aren't already "handicapped" classes in the quest for speed. If the quest for ultimate speed was the only thing, there'd be no need for Vintage and Classic categories... all sedans would be on an equal footing--there'd be no need to handicap for the '81-and earlier cars... speed is speed, and build within the rules, right? Just step up and build a more aero body style. Instead, someone asked for the rules to be modified so a pre-81 car isn't forced to compete against a modern Lincoln or Firebird.

I'm not pushing for a separate Teardrop class... someone else brought it up, and I was just clarifying what I thought he was getting at... I'm simply trying to find out why there's so much opposition to a teardrop category as though versions of the same thing don't already exist--including with the V4 and XO engines already within the class.

-Brad

Offline Tman

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
Brad, like Rich said, the Markleys were knockin on 300 over 45 years ago. Build it and make it as fast as you can. Don't worry about the classes. With your connections you can put together an amazing team.

Offline Brad54

• New folks
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
Brad, like Rich said, the Markleys were knockin on 300 over 45 years ago. Build it and make it as fast as you can. Don't worry about the classes. With your connections you can put together an amazing team.
Actually, the "team" is just me and a couple friends... we're all a bunch of nobodies!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:07 PM »
The Markley tank went 260 with 260 inches when I was a kid. Their next tank went 290 with 290 inches of killer Dodge power. They didn't ask for anything special because of an inferior tank shape. I, personally, didn't want the "Classic" category or the rear engine modified roadsters. I don't know why they can't run with front engine modifieds. And I don't think the Monzas need protection from newer cars. And I sure wouldn't like to differentiate between old tanks and newer tanks. That would be an interesting rule discussion.

Offline Tman

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
REMR's aren't they pregnant lakesters?! I jest, there is a 27 body sitting above my lakester frame................ya never know

For the record someone else said that here before me. Dont want to be stealing quotes :-D

Offline desotoman

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »

Actually, the "team" is just me and a couple friends... we're all a bunch of nobodies!

No, you have that wrong. You are somebody but just somebody that nobody knows yet. LOL. Everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck on your tank.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Tman

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »
For the record, I have known Brad online for quite a while and I think he is a pretty good person. Some of you have prob read some of his articles.  :cheers:

Offline Brad54

• New folks
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »

No, you have that wrong. You are somebody but just somebody that nobody knows yet. LOL. Everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck on your tank.

Tom G.
HA!
Thanks.
The first order of business is to get the halves apart... then patch the hole in the bottom that is approximately the size of the one in my head: large x huge.
 :cheers:
-Brad

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
REMR's aren't they pregnant lakesters?! I jest, there is a 27 body sitting above my lakester frame................ya never know

For the record someone else said that here before me. Dont want to be stealing quotes :-D

TMAN there were a lot of REMR's in the 50s including the one I drove and there were tons of belly tanks.
They are not lakesters or dragsters with a TEE body. When they made a comeback I was one happy guy. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

We have had this talk Glen, I love them as well, when they still look like they did in the early years! As stated, down the road I may make a second skin out of that 27

TMAN there were a lot of REMR's in the 50s including the one I drove and there were tons of belly tanks.
They are not lakesters or dragsters with a TEE body. When they made a comeback I was one happy guy. :cheers:

Offline dw230

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
When Ron Benham approached me to recreate a rear engine roadster class like the old days I came up with criteria I thought would work. I told him the cars had to have a 90" wb and swing axles. Ron says 'oh no, those cars were dangerous', I said 'bingo!' thats why they were out lawed. He and his gang came up with the rules we are now stuck with. I am still in the group that says all mod roadsters should run together. And, just to be clear - no m/c engines in a Vintage Category car.

Just sayin'

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth