Author Topic: Texas Mile Staff; Post Crash Observations  (Read 3168 times)

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
Texas Mile Staff; Post Crash Observations
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:21:02 PM »
First, The Texas Mile Crash Truck Crew, Ambulance Service and Texas Mile Staff were on top of their game in regards to Russ' asphault excursion. Great communication between them and I for making arrangements to get Russ his cell phone for the helo-trip, getting me info about his travel arrangements, turn around time to re-open the track... but they went out of their way to visit Russ in the hospital the next day and assure his short term needs were met.

These are staff members of a non-profit organization, not racing club members helping a fellow member, not friends or or a coomunity organization. My hats' off to these fine folks and I wish them continued success in the LSR venue.

Second, my only concern with the event was not making a pro-active decision in regards to the winds and the large number of motorcycles. I plan on sending them an email with the suggestion that they better monitor wind speed and direction at the start line and the shutdown area for future events. Russ made a mistake, but it was in my opinion, directly caused by high wind speed that could not be accurately gauged by a rider preparing for a pass down the tarmac a mile away. That type of decision needs to be made by officials at the expense of angering a racer(s).

Am I to understand that the SCTA has a "15mph" rule for wind? Where are the determining points? Mile marks? Start and shut down only?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Texas mile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 06:08:22 PM »
We measure the wind speed at the start, the timing trailer the 5th and 7th mile. The timing trailer has a complete weather station and wind speed and direction is measured at 5 feet above the track surface. The others are hand held wind speed indicators. The timers and starters as well as the patrols are on a FM radio and keep everyone updated doe to changes.
The wind can blow three different directions along the course.

The weather information is printed out on every time slip. Wind gusts can come up after a vehicle leaves the starting line, this we have no control over but usually put the event on hold until we see what mother nature will due.

The same weather system is used at the El Mirage dry lake with the same data. Dust can be a big problem and we have delays beacuse of it.

Our weather station was purchased from Davis weather systems.

Hope this helps. If you need to talk you can PM me and I will give you my number or we can do it by e-mail.

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
EASY
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »
The wind speed and direction are often overlooked or under appreciated.
The SCTA rules and those of Mother Nature are well tested.
The easiest way to turn up a safety system is with handheld ball type meters as used for gliders.
I have 6 that I bought for under $100 total that can really help.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Waco Racer

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 12:00:38 PM »
Thank you very much for your input. These suggestions are something that will be looked into and most likely implemented before our next event. I stated it that way because I am not the one that writes the checks, but rest assured that the owners are very serious about safety and any matter regarding safety are the first priority.
NASA Texas Race Director

landracing

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 01:08:10 PM »
My time I spent there last october... Resulted in my view of the meet.

Very well directed.
Emergency crews were top notch. On the ball on ever run.
Meet was well prepared, communications were excellent.
The racers all enjoyed the meet.
The directors who run the meet, are more then open for suggestions and really do LISTEN to what people suggest..

I think that the LSR bike rules need some changing a little to suit their meet.

I enjoyed it very much just being there and I hope to make it back there for their late year meet.

Thanks for having us Texas Mile.

Jon

Offline Ro Yale

Texas Mile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 09:52:53 AM »
I was at this event and opted not to make a run myself. The owner and crew of the 920 Contrivance Engineering team left the decision up to me. I saw the wind was so variable that I chose not to run. I thought :lol:  the event was run well and enjoyed it.
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!