Author Topic: High school project  (Read 22940 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: High school project
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »
It would seem to me that you would probably want to reap the rewards of your build input within a fairly short time. Other wise you would have a different batch of kids by the time you were ready to run the thing. Disappointing for the first bunch to say the least.
It may be possable to come up with a loaner car that is kind of up to speed-ish to be able to get closer to a pay day or look at something that will fit the 130-150 club.

This would be an intro for donors or loaners to step up!!

ps
   A 59 Rambler American would have to have a $1500 engine in it to be worth $1500.  :roll:
  Sid.

Offline techteacher

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »
I can appreciate your comment about this years graduating class. I have told them that not only are they welcome as mentors to the new students but I really need them as well to help with the build. I have some exceptional students this year and will need their help.

Offline techteacher

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
Well, we`re stilll waitng to hear from the foundation. This could be a good sign - I hope. The last time I talked to them was to answer the question "how much money do you need". I think we`ve got everything else worked out and have talked to the owners of the car we intend to use. Nathan has been a huge help, couldn`t be doing this without his input. I think he`s just as excited about the project as we are! As soon as I know something, good or bad, I`ll post it.

Offline Bville701

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 10:30:54 PM »
Are you planning on attending El Mirage next weekend with some of your students? If so, feel free to stop by the car #701 pits. We will be happy to show you our car.  :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline techteacher

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
We may take you up on that invitation. I`m letting everyone know about the 19th/20th. May have some students and parents come out. Nathan is speaking to my class on the 18th then heading out there so hopefully everyone will be pumped up to check this out. See you there!

Offline techteacher

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
I have an upate from the Collectors Foundation grant project. After much consideration and discussion with them and research on their end it looks like we won`t be able to build a car that would be allowed to run in a racing environment. The "L" word as I like to call it rears it`s ugly head once again - liability. They don`t feel that putting themselves in a situation where something potentially could happen that would put not only the Foundation but the students, my employers, the school district any other party involved at risk. Read lawsuit. I can see where they`re coming from, if they not on board my people sure as hell won`t be either. I have been know to push the envelope with ideas for projects that 10 years ago would be fine but now don`t get a second look. Such is life these days. But all is not lost - I have been in touch with the owner of the car and we still may be able to build the car back to it`s original state ( not to race ) so it would give the students the opportunity to restore a car and then return it back to them. Where there`s a will there`s a way! I`ll keep you posted-     

Offline fastman614

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 02:50:18 AM »
I have been following this thread with some interest. I know that 40 odd years ago, there was a school or two where a few of the industrial education teachers were into this sort of thing (sadly, though, NOT at the school I attended).

Maybe you can find someone with a car who will "conditionally donate" and, when it is built, it can be sold "for scrap" to a "third" party - and even the running gear sold "as scrap" to an "independant fourth party". Make sure that the "sale contracts" read that the car and other components are intended to be separated for scrap and salvage and that no representations as to anything other than it is sold "as is" and absolutely NO REPRESENTATIONS OR INFERENCES are made or claimed as any usability for any other purpose than scrap.....

THEN - If the purchaser rebuilds the salvage vehicle into ANY kind of a motorized vehicle, whether for daily transportation or ANY OTHER PURPOSE WHATSOEVER, he does so at his own risk and is solely responsible for ANY potential liability in doing so.

If getting real cash value back is an issue claim that the car was made of pure copper, which at $4.00+/- a pound would bring back thousands....

And, if your students are amenable, have then volunteer - outside of school - to be a pit crew at an El Mirage meet or two - or Bonneville.

The unfortunate trouble is that in this day and age of liability and the "it's everyone else's fault but my own" mentality, feature this -

If the school district owned a works vehicle (say - A Chevy S10) that was sold as a running vehicle to someone who decided to build it into a race vehicle and was subsequently injured or killed, the way lawsuits have seemed to have gone in the last few years, the school district could still be named as a defendant in a lawsuit as some lawyer somewhere WOULD TAKE A CASE LIKE THAT ON!... AND THERE WOULD BE SOME JUDGE WHO WOULD ALLOW IT TO PROCEED!

Sad to hear that you may not be able to make this happen....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline techteacher

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
Some good things have happened since my last post - most importantly I finally found out who owned and raced the red 353 car. Talked to Greg Sharp at the NHRA Museum and he happened to have a program from the 1959 National at Detroit Raceway. Cars name was Little VIP,`27 roaster, same number and owned by Al Morris Jr. from Sacramento. There`s a lot about this story but basically Don Canepa and Al both graduated San Jose State a year apart, both w/industrial Ed. degrees. He also taught auto shop, did some aerospace stuff, opened a shop in `64 - M&M Speed Engineering, built engines for Gary Ormsby and Bill Harah`s Miss Tahoe allison powered hydroplane. We still may getting a chance to restore 353 to it`s original state for the Canepas`. Good stuff

Offline Tman

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »
Some good things have happened since my last post - most importantly I finally found out who owned and raced the red 353 car. Talked to Greg Sharp at the NHRA Museum and he happened to have a program from the 1959 National at Detroit Raceway. Cars name was Little VIP,`27 roaster, same number and owned by Al Morris Jr. from Sacramento. There`s a lot about this story but basically Don Canepa and Al both graduated San Jose State a year apart, both w/industrial Ed. degrees. He also taught auto shop, did some aerospace stuff, opened a shop in `64 - M&M Speed Engineering, built engines for Gary Ormsby and Bill Harah`s Miss Tahoe allison powered hydroplane. We still may getting a chance to restore 353 to it`s original state for the Canepas`. Good stuff

Thats cool news!

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
I left Wisconsin for California.....and then I returned to Wisconsin where we can still get things done and our public schools are rated #1 in the USA.......maybe this is why!

http://www.mottomoto.com/blog.php/2011/03/build-milwaukee-program/

Mabe it will help you too.......
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline techteacher

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
I agree 100%. Any other state would let this fly. That is one cool idea. I`m a MX guy from way back. Believe it or not in So Cal during the 70`s we had High School motocross teams! A couple of schools even had tracks on their property. We had some great riders come from there - Marty Smith, Bruce McDougal, etc etc. I would love to do a bike class and restoring/racing CB160`s would be a kick in the ass! Hell, my next door neighbor is the associate editor/test rider for Cycle World Magazine. They would be all over that. My kids and parents would have no problem with our original idea - unfortunately that`s where it stops. Look up where Ca. rates in US schools. It`s sad. 

Offline techteacher

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »
BTW, if anyone has any info on Al Morris Jr. please PM me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 10:56:27 PM »
"Believe it or not in So Cal during the 70`s we had High School motocross teams"

When I was in Jr High, we had a rifle team!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 11:46:46 PM »
If we timed it right, I could stay over an extra day after an El Mirage race and be a guest speaker in your autoshop class and bring my 200+mph motorcycle in to let the kids look at.  I volunteer at 3 Sacramento area schools doing this sort of thing, talking to kids, trying to get them interested in Science.  I'm a former record holder at Bonneville, an Engineer by trade, and a lifelong gearhead.  Email me at shane.san.miguel@intel.com if you want to talk more.  We could also emphasize the technology aspect of LSR by doing a video conference or something.  I'm sure your students would know how to set that up over skype or Webex.  I also have some presentation materials about what Bonneville and LSR is about that I have presented to local students.  Aside from my Dad teaching me how to wrench, I probably owe the most to my Autoshop teacher, Mr. Gazo for keeping me interested in something positive during my teen years.  I'm lucky enough to work with a guy that was in autoshop with me and not a week goes by that we don't bring up our days in Autoshop. 

I'm also a Ford guy so if you end up building a Ford, I'll donate speed parts if I have things that will help.  Send me your email and I will send you some presentations I've done.  You could show them in class and I could skype into your school's laptop or even put me on speaker on a cell phone or something. 

Kids need this and kudos to you for helping get them involved!
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline fastman614

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »
Welcome to the era when the 99.99% of us live in fear of the .01% of the "everyone else"!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.