Author Topic: Biker goes down at Texas Mile  (Read 10053 times)

landracing

Biker goes down at Texas Mile
« on: March 26, 2006, 06:32:12 PM »
Russ Montgomery wrecked his bike after going thru the timing lights at 204 mph during the Texas Mile Race. This was a stock body Hayabusa. There were reports of side winds during the race... Russ reported that he sat up and got on the front brakes and the front end got light and washed out. Then the bike flipped down the track.

He was lifeflighted out to Corpos Christy. He has seen been talked to and suffered some road rash and broken clavical bone.

He is a member of the Texas Mile 200 mph club at 209 mph during the Ocotober 2005 event.

Russ Bike October Last Year

Jon

landracing

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 06:45:47 PM »
Now that we know Russ is Ok...

He also now is the fastest biker to go down over 200 mph.. The only one in fact with a time slip for LSR racing. With a time slip to prove it. It always bugged me that Ron Cook was quoted as going over 200 mph when the time slip if there was one was not over 200 mph. Taking nothing away from Mr Cook, he has a terrible wreck and was very lucky to have survived, it was an estimated speed. Also unlike the Dave Matson run where he went down at Bonneville at a reported 225+ mph which was a forgotten run in history or not known about, when the "Pure Guts" Ron Cook got all the press.

This guy has a time slip...

Get better Russ, we are all pulling for you... The bike however...

Jon

landracing

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 06:52:11 PM »
Seems Ron Cook has a guiness book world record for "Survivor of the World's Fastest Motorcycle Crash --200 mph"  

Maybe we can submit this to Guiness for a new record... See Russ can still get a record..

Jon

landracing

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:21:54 AM »
Scott,

Read my second post I mentioned the matson run.. When I talked to Dave about this there was no time slip for the run.. It was a calculated speed.. But there was no mention about it around the Ron Cook wreck era..

JOn

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Crashs have reasons.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:43:21 AM »
Matson crashed before the 2 mile at Bonneville and did not go through the lights. There were no marks in the course to indicate what happened to upset him and the first marks were from the pegs. The bike slid quite a bit further that he did.
Cook fell off 2 months in a row and hurt himself the 2nd time. After the first time he tried to fix the wrong end of the bike and it happened again.
Both speeds were pretty good estimates based on past performances but with no time slip.
Publicity is only as effective as your presentation and getting somebody to listen. The incidents are well known in history but not cherished memories. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 01:49:38 AM »
I get a laugh when I see the Ron Cook clip on TV. Not from the crash which can't be any fun, but he claims he had it all under control during the crash.

When it all starts to go wrong, and it was a real tank slapper, he sat up. Sitting up at close to 200 mph is never a good idea, and it blew him off the back. As he goes off the back, it looks like his pants catch on the frame and he gets the slide-for-life treatment.

He claims on the video and on pureguts.com that he had it all under control from "years of experience".

. . .it was rapidly getting more pronounced and violent. My reaction was to tighten my grip on the handlebars and to apply more power to try and lighten the load on the front wheel so as to regain control of the severe headshake.

Most tank slappers are caused from doing just what he did. The speed wobble may have been started by outside forces, but it was made worse by tightening up on the bars. Humans just don't react fast enough to help, only to make it worse by over controlling. How do I justify this? The moment he let go, the bike snapped straight as an arrow and continued on as if it was still being driven. The bike carried on for . . .

Mike Mangelli and the other track workers picked up my bike about 1 or 2 miles away.

Ron is a heck of a competitor and still holds several records. But his lengthy discourse on how he handled the situation just strikes me as overblown.
Check his story and the video and see for yourself.
http://www.pureguts.com/sdm.asp?pg=stories&specific=1

It also must have scrambled his brain. He says it happened at El Mirage at the top, and then Muroc later. Since he came back two weeks later, I would assume that Muroc must be correct.
Two weeks later no skill was involved. He said it was after the lights, so I would think he would have a timing slip, but in any case he got spit off big time and broke a bunch of stuff and destroyed the bike.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 02:08:02 AM »
If he had years of experience falling off at that speed, he didn't learn anything and should be walking.
The bike rear steered when it finally hooked up and his body english was in the wrong spot to continue.
The first time was at Muroc and his solution was to fix the front end to make it stiffer. That made the problem worse and the next month at El Mirage the bike was better off without him. If you believe he let go and stepped off then you watch too many Road Runner cartoons also. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 06:46:17 AM »
There's a couple of things about this post worthy of comment.

1  Jay Mathus and I spent an hour on the phone Friday discussing incident procedures,  He was teaching me based on his extensive knowledge as a law officer... so they were well prepared for the incident and had a plan in place.

2.  Estimates based on empirical data only have value for bragging rights and quite frankly Ron Cook has done some good things for people as a result of the incidents... I can't take anything away from him for that.

3.  If my dream was to race scooters over 200mph and I was told I was guaranteed a broken collar bone and road rash as a result of the first wreck... trust me I'd take it and run...  Glad he's okay...

Keith
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

johnrobinson

tank slapper procedure?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 07:49:43 AM »
OK,
     so what is the proper procedure when confronted with a tank slapper? never having had one, I think knowing what to do might be helpful...
     from what I read here, letting go the handlebars might be the answer, not really sure though....and I would probably have to unlearn a procedure from my sidecar riding, where tightening up on the handlebars controls a low speed wobble at 18-20 mph, the wobble from a "standard" motorcycle with a long trail configuration on the front forks, a "properly " setup sidecar rig usually  has very little trail, giving "lighter" steering and controlling most if not all the speed wobble...

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »
Jack,

I think you have the dates backwards. First accident was at Muroc in April. Manghelli didn't pickup the bike 1-2 miles down course, he knocked it down with his truck as the riderless bike headed for the spectators. You can see him enter the picture in the video.

The second and final spill was at El Mirage in May.

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Rider down
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 09:19:40 AM »
John:  Here's what they taught us (about getting out of tank-slappers) in the various high-performance driving schools I've taken:

Get on the throttle -- that'll lift weight off the front and re-jigger the instantaneous balance & geometry of the bike.  The slapper oughta slow/stop enough that you can then bring the oscillations of the bars to a stop.

Yeah, right!  I'm going a buck-sixty and the front end is waggling damn near out of control and you want me to gas it more?

A couple of years ago both Nancy and I experienced front-end wobble on the long course -- at 150-160 or so.  both of us did give it throttle, both of us DID get control back right away.  Hey, it works!

Later we found the problem was the rear shock rebound was too slow -- bumps would force the shock more and more compressed, and after three miles or so -- the set-up of the bike was different (rear lower, front raked out more) enough that the geometry wasn't right and we'd lose some control.  A quick change of shock settings got that problem to disappear (so far).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 10:05:53 AM »
Back in the day, early to mid 1990's Joe had a front tire go down on him causing a front end take slapper he got back into the throttle to calm it down, then gently eased back out of it. For what its worth. That was at about 170 mph

Jon

bak189

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 10:38:11 AM »
In my humble opinion the Ron Cook
handling problem was mainly due to the fact that in lowering the bike he moved the fork-legs up in the triple-clamps thus changing the front-end geometry.....not the right way to "lower" a land speed racing bike.  On "tank slappers"...
my ride on a Vincent in the early 1980's, (at a mere 125mph, I was looking for a soft spot to land on the salt) ......by givng more throttle, and dragging the rear brake, saved my cookies.

Offline Waco Racer

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 10:51:10 AM »
Russ was taken to Austin by helicopter. His pass was a 204. He is fortunate that he only had a broken collar bone. Has anyone talked to him personally? How is he feeling today?
NASA Texas Race Director

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Try again
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 11:11:45 AM »
Quote from: dwarner
Jack,

I think you have the dates backwards. First accident was at Muroc in April. Manghelli didn't pickup the bike 1-2 miles down course, he knocked it down with his truck as the riderless bike headed for the spectators. You can see him enter the picture in the video.

The second and final spill was at El Mirage in May.

DW

Have Joanie read it to you this time.
I never mentioned how the bike was picked up on either crash. He got the reason for the crash wrong and you got the reading wrong. LOL