Author Topic: Vintage 50cc Motor?  (Read 16491 times)

Offline desotoman

Vintage 50cc Motor?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 12:06:19 PM »
Opps I forgot, Seldom Seen Slim please post that picture of the Megola. Then when I figure out how to fix my computor, so I can see the pictures it will be here. Thanks, Tom
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Megola photo
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2006, 12:51:20 PM »
Well, let's see if this will open:
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/mriders2/photos/view/5651?b=43

I grabbed it from the M-Riders photo site at Yahoo -- I'll get the photo and do it manually if this doesn't work.[/url]
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtkawboy

Vintage 50cc Motor?
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2006, 01:58:30 PM »
Picture didnt work for me. Where did you get the name Seldom Seen Slim, I love that?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Megola
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 10:02:20 AM »
MTKAWBOY:

Seldom Seen Slim was the moniker used by Charles Ferge, the last well-known hermit (if you'll pardon the oxymoron) in the Panamint Valley (the valley just west of Death Valley).  He would, so goes the story, go out into the mountains behind Ballarat for a few months, prospecting and doing whatever else those folks did.  He was a skinny old fart, too.  Add those two items together, and you get this:  Folks would show up in town and ask about "Slim", and they'd be told "He's seldom seen in town".  There you have it.

Nancy and I have been through there -- the ghost town of Ballarat -- a couple of times, and when we needed a name for the race team -- she said "How about Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing" out loud --- and why the heck not?, we decided.  It rolls trippingly from the tongue, and it's unique.  If you visit our website (www.infodestruction.com) and click around the SSS LSR part of it -- you'll find a few more photos - his grave, for instance, and other Ballarat photos.

We've since discovered more than a few LSR-types that either knew him or knew of him.  You can find photos of him (besides the one I used on my avatar) by going to www.seldomseenslim.com -- but be prepared to see someone that appears to have had the world's best interestes in mind when he decided to exclude himself from the everyday hustle and bustle.

Thanks for asking.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Don't let him fool you too.
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »
Charlie's nickname was inspired by Jon's existence in Michigan.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline mtkawboy

Vintage 50cc Motor?
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006, 12:36:56 PM »
That Megola looks like a Honda Motorwheel with the engine in the front instead of the back. Never saw one before, sure would be different. Better 50cc traction with front wheel drive, like that would be a problem.

Offline Hans Blom

Vintage 50cc Motor?
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »
Well, If we need a motor picked up, I'm living in Norway now and am going to the UK next week to pick up a Dresda Honda 500 four!!! There is some different stuff over here...talking a truck to p/u bike...26 hour ferry ride from Bergen to Newcastle, then 5 hour drive...