Author Topic: NAE 2012 plans  (Read 43823 times)

Offline racekid

• 701 C/GMR LeFevers & Jesel
Re: NAE 2012 plans
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
Hey ski123 we all know how much money Art Arfons had.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »
im not sure who ski is but somehow I think folks are missing the heartfelt "concern"
from people....

ie per ski        """I wish you all the bestof luck, and I would love to see the record come back to some Americans.""""

everyone doesnt feel like "stroking" each other is the best recipe for getting results....

remember....drill seargants were alittle harsh.....as parents are when needed....that can come from
caring about the result....ski and many of us are concerned as "fellow" Americans.....

If Ski was a drill sergeant - a person placed in authority over the lives and welfare of other men and women, and charged with the task of seeing them through a battle, I would agree - yes, perhaps his tone would be appropriate, and maybe motivational.

But he's not, is he?

No, I know condescension when I read it, and in this case, the tone speaks louder than the sentence structure.

Better to be pissed off then pissed on?  I do wish you luck, god knows you are going to need it.
Open your mind a bit and people will open their wallets.  Watch you competitors and learn,
oops then it will be to late.  Unless that's what your plan is, I don't think you want to win.  Sorry. :cry:
When you decompress please let us know how fast you Think  you went.  I know, you are still pissed.

I'll give the devil himself the benefit of the doubt, and if I've got it wrong, then I've got it wrong.

But I don't think so, and I still consider the italicized statements in Ski's quote offensive.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »
Don't let the overly critical comments get you down. Most of us here understand that you need to consolidate and analyze your data, and verify that all the sensors are reporting consistent information. I am sure you are also doing other analysis parallel to the speed figuring out your true down force, engine thrust, afterburner can temps and all that other stuff not to mention mach number (which in your case is more important than some arbritrary mph/kph number since it changes with air temp, barometer etc.

Keep up the good work, and report back when you have data you feel you can trust.

Larry

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
When people like ski123 comes on and makes comments like he is doing can get most of us a little upset. When running a mile in six seconds one doesn't have a lot of time to look at speed indicators. He has been on the the LSR site since 2009 and only made 32 posts. Who is he, is he a real land speed racer, how fast has he been. Makes one wonder. There is a lot going on at those speeds and the driver must be ahead of what is going on. Tell us who you are ski so we know where you are coming from.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »
Those folks who are focused on going fast rather than showmanship and marketing always have a soft spot in us racer's hearts.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 02:07:48 AM »
An observation about the time it takes to get a BLM permit.  Years go I dealt with the local BLM office.  I was in charge of the trail program for our dirt bike club.  We have trails on BLM land and hold one race a year.  The BLM trail system representative and I were talking.  I complained about how long it took to get a permit.  Here is what happened.  He said, more or less:

Your request goes into the pile of other equally deserving ones.  We pick yours out of the pile when your turn comes up.  The office just created my position as recreation coordinator so they have a guy for you to contact and work on your behalf.  Lets look in the file.  Here is the environmental assessment I wrote for you.  Remember those trails you marked in the woods?  I went up there with a biologist, an archeologist, a timber resources guy, and three or four others.  We walked every one of those damn trails.  I had to wait for their findings and use them in the assessment.  Then I sent the assessment to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, National Marine Fisheries, and some others.  These folks had a few months to give me their comments.  They have some and I spend a few days trying to make them happy.  Finally they are satisfied and the proposal was sent out for public comment.  There were some comments and I addressed them.  Then we got the go-ahead.

Then he went onto his computer and pulled up the account info.  Our application had a charge number in their accounting system.  He showed me all of the hours his crew was working on our permit.  It was a lot.

Then he said "We get decent money from the timber program and helps to pay for it.  We get some small fee from you guys and a complaint about how slow we are."  All I said was "Geez.  Thanks guys.  That's a lot of work."  I never bitched to that fellow about anything after that.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »
Ed, congratulations on a good test run. once again you have overcome many obstacles to do some testing. We are anxiously awating the results.
A few years ago I was on a 200mph+run and looked down at the tach, busa tachs are about 600rpm off at 11000prm. I was trying to do the math, in my head, when I looked up i was almost off the course.

Keep up the good work.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Blue

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »
Oh, by the way Ski123, when you are passing 200 MPH and heading toward 600 MPH on your speedometer in your Bonneville racer, do you just read your speedo
and ignore the course markers? Even Breedlove couldn't tell his exact speed when he fell over at 675 MPH. He had to get it from estimates by outside observers.
Actually, he did have the front wheel speed tied to a VERY large gauge in the center position and was modulating throttle to not go too fast as he approached the timing lights.  Not to be too critical here, just a suggestion:  master caution and speedo should be mounted in the heads up position.

On the Fossett car we did a "Christmas Tree" master caution:  Red, yellow, and green lights with red at 12 o'clock where it is directly in the driver's line of sight:

Green: everything's fine, continue the run
Yellow: warning, abort run, normal shutdown
Red: ABORT NOW, BLOW THE FIRE BOTTLES, POP THE CHUTES, HIT THE BRAKE AND GET OUT OF THE CAR!!!

NAE is equipped with a massive data acquisition system that should be able to reduce all of that instrument scan to those three lights.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:16:03 PM by Blue »

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
We do have a master caution light dead center in the top of the instrument panel. The air speed indicator is right below it to the right and
easy to read. Once I'm on a run, I don't care about reading the speedo. If the red light turns on, begin the stopping procedure.
Ed

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2012, 04:02:40 AM »
Ed Shadle knows it, Andy Green knows it, Richard Noble knows it, ........................ the only speed that ever counts (or should that be speeds for each part of a two way process) is that timed by an independent third party and calculated by them to be in excess of the speed of sound under the temperature conditions of the day. There is no on board, self read or recorded telemetry acceptable in speed record breaking.

Whatever your fellow American (singular) may say, the true speed enthusiasts around the world are rooting for Ed with NAE to break the record  .................... doing it your way.

ps. Will your lady driver get seat time and a new fastest speed officially timed when the weather is next kind to your team at Alvord?

Malcolm UK, Derby, England   

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »
 :cheers:

Best of luck!  

My son was very impressed with your car, and still wears his NAE shirt.  
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:39:54 AM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline joea

« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2012, 08:10:11 AM »
Malcom yes record run speed is the goal....getting to the goal requires support...

I think NAE is looking for support....potential sponsors/support is affected by project
status and progress...I think NAE had its most involved and detailed expedition with runs
covering 4 miles or so at or near 100% throttle....

good luck team

Offline ski123

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
^^^^.......potential sponsors/support is affected by project
                 status and progress...

You hit the nail on the head!

So you want to set a record, you got the car and the team.
                  You were on the playa, took some runs, and tests.

Any idea on how fast you went, yet?    Go Fast USA!

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2012, 12:20:13 AM »
Our update with quite a few photo's was posted on our website, www.landspeed.com. You need Internet explorer 9 or Google Chrome to see the photo's.
http://landspeed.com/project/project-updates/146-nov-03-2012
Ed

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2012, 01:21:57 AM »
The photos come through on my I-MAC just fine too Ed. Thanks for the update.  :-D :-D :cheers:

Pete