Author Topic: NAE 2012 plans  (Read 43826 times)

Offline Freud

Re: NAE 2012 plans
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
We will be watching.

Thanx

FREUD
Since '63

Offline joea

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »
Myself and many i know have been searching for info... nothing on the website yet....... They have alot of yech sponsors im surprised details slow to surface...

Also see that the website has a section for project needs list that is predominately for tools, toolboxes caterers , golf carts etc it may be helpful to look for site selection support so folks not in the know realize that is a huge potential obstacle....

I see that over the weekend a car set a land speed record at kennedy space center

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2012/10/performance-power-racing-drives-through-fastest-standing-mile-record-at-kennedy-space-center-45612/

Offline tortoise

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »
I see that over the weekend a car set a land speed record at kennedy space center

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2012/10/performance-power-racing-drives-through-fastest-standing-mile-record-at-kennedy-space-center-45612/

Sanctioned by the International Mile Racing Association, eh?

What do the ECTA, Texas Mile, LTA, Mojave racers say about this organization?

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »
The team spent Oct 21, setting up the pits, unloading the NAE and laying out the run course of 9.8 miles. On Monday morning at 4 AM it began to rain. After investigating the pit area, we decided to go back to the Alvord Ranch and wait to see how the weather was going to turn out. By Tuesday morning, we were faced with snow and temperatures in the 20's. Wednesday afternoon we thought we could pull the Eagle out of the pits to conduct our tow tests to see what the drag coeficient would be. That was a mistake as we packed the mud on the wheels and they looked like tractor tires. We needed wooden stakes and hammers to pry the mud off the aluminum wheels. On Thursday afternoon, we were finally able to pull out onto the lakebed and conduct the tow tests. We couldn't run the car on the lakebed yet because there were still wet spots that needed to dry. On Friday morning we surveyed the couse and found about 8 useable miles. By noon we had the batteries recharged (cold weather is no friend to batteries, even our expensive blue top Optima's). We pulled to the North end of the lakebed and fired up the Eagle. Our first run test was designed to accelerate to 90% throttle to the 2 mile marker, shut down and coast to a stop. The second run was 100% throttle to the 4 mile and stop with the magnetic brakes only. The third test was full throttle, minimum afterburner and 4th run was full throttle, full AB. What a hell of a ride! She runs smooth and strong. I don't have a speed as I quit looking at the
air speed indicator when it went past 200 knots and it did that in a hurry. When we get our data analyzed, we'll know how close we came to the 600 mark. I deployed the left high speed chute and it operated as we designed it. Good runs, to bad we had to begin loading at 4 PM and go back home. We pulled into the yard at 10 PM on Saturday night, Oct 27. We're already planning for our next test, possibly in late January if the lakebed drys up again.
Ed

Offline joea

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
Congrats on getting all that done in challenging conditions... Gotta be honest i have a hard time believing that you dont know how fast it went :):).....over two days later...

Regardless it heartwarming to hear the excitement in your words..!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:30:38 PM by joea »

Offline ski123

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
^^  I agree with you Joea.  After all those tests you didn't look at your speed?  I would love to
hear what your sponsors will say.   I have mentioned it before,  you need to work on your
marketing.  The more you run the less professional you look (to me).  I wish you all the best
of luck, and I would love to see the record come back to some Americans. 

Don't forget  Media = Money$.  NAE is missing out on both, why?  You rarely use the free Facebook.
I would be very frustrated if I were on your team.   Maybe thats why I ski fast for my thrills ,123mph!

Jet Black, Bloodhound, and Aussi Invader teams have been all over Facebook and appear to have alot of
corporate and individual sponsors.  I know, I know, you guys have no money and you are doing all with
unpaid helpers.  But in all reality, that's not how you have to do it.  Unless that's how you want to do it!

Breedlove's team for his runs in 96/97 was very small.  But they got the word out and had lots of helpers
and even more media on hand (because that's how you sell yourself).  The internet wasn't a very popular
thing in households at that time either.  2013 may be the year for a record.  Will NAE be ready?  Who knows. :?

Offline George Fields

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
Ed, I hope you and your team are rewarded for your hard work. Good luck.
George

Offline F104A

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
Well Ski, it is easy to criticize and minimize the efforts of a team you know little about. As for not using Facebook, look at North American Eagle
on Facebook. We also have Ipad Apps and we tweet progress reports as we go. Maybe you can get your cell phone to work in the middle of
the Alvord Desert, 129 miles from Burns. We do have great sponsors and great support from the tech community. It sounds like you admire
the British team much more than your own USA team so I guess that is just the way it goes. Sorry you feel that way. By the way, do you
have an IN with the BLM (division of the Dept of the Interior)? If so, tell them that holding us off until the weather changes was not fair.
We had actually planned to run in September but the BLM would not issue the permit until they were damned good and ready. Oh, yes,
do you have and IN with the weather gods? Maybe you can get them to hold off on rain and snow when we are planning to run.
Damn, this just pisses me off!!!!
Ed

Offline F104A

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »
Oh, by the way Ski123, when you are passing 200 MPH and heading toward 600 MPH on your speedometer in your Bonneville racer, do you just read your speedo
and ignore the course markers? Even Breedlove couldn't tell his exact speed when he fell over at 675 MPH. He had to get it from estimates by outside observers.
Ed

Offline ski123

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »
Better to be pissed off then pissed on?  I do wish you luck, god knows you are going to need it.
Open your mind a bit and people will open their wallets.  Watch you competitors and learn,
oops then it will be to late.  Unless that's what your plan is, I don't think you want to win.  Sorry. :cry:
When you decompress please let us know how fast you Think  you went.  I know, you are still pissed.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
To Ski123: By chance are you an enthusiast of propeller powered land speed vehicles? Just a vibe I get.

Ed, Give 'em hell. Lot's of us are behind you 100%. It's amazing the feats that men have accomplished with enough determination on a shoe string budget.   
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »
You know, Ski, this team has busted their hump trying to do what they are attempting.

I, too, have been critical of the marketing of NAE, but they have a product that has actually turned a wheel.  That came from hard work and concentrating on the product first.

I find the sarcasm in your tone offensive.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »
Thats not Propster he speaks to clearly.

Ed, how long does it take to pull data to find out how fast it actually went. You were at 100% throttle ???

Did the lady get time in the car or was the marketing ploys set aside for getting the job done and crucial time spent figuring out the car?

Jon

Offline joea

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »
im not sure who ski is but somehow I think folks are missing the heartfelt "concern"
from people....

ie per ski        """I wish you all the bestof luck, and I would love to see the record come back to some Americans.""""

everyone doesnt feel like "stroking" each other is the best recipe for getting results....

remember....drill seargants were alittle harsh.....as parents are when needed....that can come from
caring about the result....ski and many of us are concerned as "fellow" Americans.....

Offline F104A

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »
I guess I should not have responsed so harshly towards Ski123's remarks. It just gets to me when people think we have not been trying to get
the big dollars to finish the job. When my team members read negative comments about the efforts they put in, it bites on them pretty hard.
Now for the speed.....few of you have been in a vehicle with 43,500 HP so it is very hard to describe the things that are going on in the cockpit.
When I drive my roadster or the lakester, there is actually time to look around, check the guages and whatnot. In the "beast" there is more of
the FEEL of the car that is more important. When it buzzes past 400 MPH things begin to happen very quickly. If  you ever saw the video of
Andy in the Thrust SSC during his runs, that is the way it is in the NAE. Very busy! Before passing 200 MPH, I'm checking guages such as oil
pressure, exhaust gas temperature, engine percent of RPM's, hydraulic pressure and so on. Once I roll it into afterburner, I'll glance at the air
speed indicator then it's only out the windshield to keep the NAE tracking on course. Once I pass a designated marker point, then I back off
the throttle, roll the switch to deploy the air brakes, poke the button to deploy one of the parachutes then apply the magnetic brakes.
We didn't spend $10,000 to set up a timing system for this test. We only use the data from our Topcon Global Navigation System. All the data
from air pressure ports, sensors, stain gauges and so on is in the hands of our data aquisition engineer who will give me a complete rundown
next weekend at our wrapup meeting. Maybe then, I can give you more speed numbers.
Ed