Author Topic: altered?  (Read 9752 times)

Offline RICK

altered?
« on: March 14, 2006, 10:47:54 PM »
I haven't gotten my 06 rulebook yet, can't find my 05, so I dug out my 04 book. Can someone direct me to the place where it explains 'ALTERED"
  i.e.  In the record portion of the book you have Classic Unblown Gas Coupe- /CGC and you have Classic Unblown Gas Altered Coupe- /CGALT. Whats the difference? Where in the rule book does it explain it?

thanks  rick
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Bob Drury

Altered Coupe
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 12:58:24 AM »
Rick, Basically a Altered is a Coupe with a non stock frame (as in fabricated), or a rear deck spoiler, or covered grill openings.  There is more to it than that, but those are the basics.............
Bob Drury

Offline RICK

altered?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 08:46:40 AM »
....more to it than that?  THAT is what I'm trying to find out. You know from vast years of expererance, I'm a salt race virgin. Is there a place in the rule book to find these specs.  

thanks     rick

dwarner

altered?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 08:46:45 AM »
Look in the Modified Category. The  listed classes are Comp Coupe, Altered, Gas Coupe, Modified Sports and Modified Pickup.

DW

MtnVision

altered?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 06:02:11 PM »
Quote from: RICK
....I'm a salt race virgin.

ME TOO! After all these years I didn't think that possibility existed...
the virginity part...  :oops: (Grandmas have such a weird sense of humor!)

Offline RICK

altered?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 11:46:47 PM »
Its only a metaphor. If you read any post by Jack D,,,,,,, You'll catch on quick. But thats a whole nuther story.

Back to my quest for knowelge,,,,, So if I take a 34 Ford coupe body, put it on a fabricated [non-original] frame, chop the top, block off the grill, and throw in a Chevy motor, can I run it in /CGALT? Do I get to take the fenders off too?

thanks  rick

Offline Bob Drury

altered?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 12:14:58 AM »
No choppey the toppey.  Comprehendae?
Bob Drury

Offline RICK

altered?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 12:43:52 AM »
That one I was sure I could get away with? Page 58, about the center of the page "Pre 1949 bodys may be chopped",,,, it was the fender thing that I was worried about.

thanks   rick

Offline Bob Drury

Altered.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 10:29:37 AM »
Rick, you are correct, I got to stop eating Chinese food late at night.
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

Altered
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 10:35:45 AM »
The way I read it (in last years rule book), on page 61 it says "all body panels shall be mounted in the original relationship".   As always, the best answer is to call the head of the tech committee for the Modified classses.  His name and number is in the rule book.  Still burping MooGoo GuyPan............Bob
Bob Drury

Offline fastnlo

• New folks
altered?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 12:30:08 AM »
Rick I know exactly how you feel, I have a 33 ford coupe that I built the frame for, a full roll cage with swing out door bars, a 496 c.u. 9 to 1 comp., roller cammed street motor, a mark williams 9inch rear end. The car is STREET driven, it has an air conditioner, the windshield is laid back 15 degrees and the hood is stretched 8 inches over stock, it rides on American Racing Salt Flat Special wheels, I have the car set up on air bags also. The way I read the rule book I would be in A\GCC.. How could I run against a 251 M.P. H. record with a street driven car but as I read the rules and IF I passed all of the safety requirements that's is where I would be. Perhaps we should BOTH call one of the officials and try to figure out if and where we should be.

Fastnlo

dwarner

altered?
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 09:19:12 AM »
Trying not to sound negative or sarcastic I'll answer before JD. We don't tell you what to use when building your race/street car.  We can give you parameters and specifications. Many times a street build does not transfer to a race car. If your build happens to end up in a class where the record is 250 mph so be it.

This is what happens when someone wants to make a pass at Bonneville for a timing tag with their street rod. The association is looking for long term entrants when classes are formed.

I point people who want to run the salt to the USFRA 130/150 Club event which is held in conjunction with the World of Speed each September.

By your description I think the '33 would be better suited to the corresponding Classic Category class; A/CGAlt. Unfortunately the record is 246 now.

DW

Offline RICK

altered?
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 10:47:11 AM »
Dan, You may have just answered my questions? The car I am planing on building is a near carbon copy of fastnlo's. So.......the front can be stretched and run CGALT? Along with chopped top, covered grill, no fenders?

Thanks, RICK

Offline jimmy six

altered?
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 12:53:52 PM »
Looks like Dan likes the points :)

Sorry! It can be lengthened only 2% in the cowl area. This 2% is calculated by the length of the body. You can probably go into a lot of questions on the length of a 34.

The use a 34, as Dan stated, was your choice and this restricts you to doing what is allowed to late models as well. By the look of your picture the frame is above the lower lip of the outside of the body and that's not allowed either. In the picture it's hard to tell if the correct angle is kept for the grille shell. The hood side lines front to back are NOT parrallel on a stock 34. That's what's meant by relationship.

So please read the book carefully and if you are able to meet all the specs for altered by all means run that class. As a side note if you put a vintage engine in it the 2% is not allowed.. Good Luck and don't get discouraged...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

altered?
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »
Oops! JD is right. In my hast I didn't notice the channeling.

DW